English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Photoshop to IFF (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10976)

hotwire132002 22 August 2003 21:24

Photoshop to IFF

Is there any way to convert a Photoshop file to an Amiga IFF file? I'm running Photoshop Elements 2.0. I see to export to TIFF, but am new to Amiga--is it the same?

Severin 22 August 2003 21:32

Tiff is not the same, iirc photoslop supports IFF, look for 'Amiga IFF' or ILBM, if you havn't got the right savemodes, try GIF and then put it through PPaint7 (free from aminet) to save as iff, or use multiview which will save anything you have a picture datatype for as IFF...

hotwire132002 22 August 2003 21:35

Thanks

the wolf 22 August 2003 21:51

You can use also other programs that supports both formats, like, for example, Paint Shop Pro...

hotwire132002 22 August 2003 22:30

Any completely free programs for PC/MAC that will support IFF and a common format (PhotoShop, BMP, TIFF, JPG, etc.) so I can convert it?

Severin 22 August 2003 23:20

you could even try picture viewers, most seem to have an export/save feature now, even if it's only jpg, but that will do as a 'common' format :)

Why do you want IFF? the amiga can display most picture formats (except photoslop)... if you want it for a worbench background or similar, jpg will do, if it's to load into a specific program then you'll also need the correct width / height / depth and maybe even a custom palette to remap it to...

FromWithin 22 August 2003 23:30

Irfan View.

No contest.

hotwire132002 22 August 2003 23:32

I'm new to the Amiga... I bought an A1000 and Amiga 1300 Genlock off eBay along with Workbench 1.3 to use in my (very basic) TV studio for titles. I want to throw up graphics, and have an IFF viewer on the Genlock disk. Other than that, I have *no* software for it. I just need a way to put up graphics on it, with color 0 as the background so the genlock will knock it out. Bottom line here is, I need a way to get a graphic over from my iMac and display it full screen (no title bar, window, etc.) on the Amiga. Like I said, I have an A1000 with 256K memory expansion, Workbench 1.3, and external FDD, monitor, kbd, etc. and nothing else. My iMac has an external FDD. Is there a way to bring the graphic and software I need over to the Amiga?

BTW I can bring my graphics into my PC and then to the Amiga if required.

the wolf 22 August 2003 23:44

I still say Paint Shop Pro. If you don't intend to buy it, try the evaluation version...
Dunno if any free program can handle IFF, you have to find yourself, sorry...
Another great program is Pro Motion by Cosmigo. It can handle easily even anims created with DPaint! And you can convert GIF anims to IFF anims or viceversa!
IrfanView is a great program indeed, but can only load IFF format, not save it...

Amiga1992 23 August 2003 06:57

He has a Mac, wofl.

Dunno about any free pfrograms, but teh mac version of Photoshop exports to IFF as well.

You will need some sort of disk to get you started with yoru 1000, since there are no transfer programs available for the Mac. However if you get some stuff across from someone who can give you a hand, there's CrossMAC which will read 800kb Mac flopies on yoru miggy.

Sorry to say this, but except for nostalgic reasons, an A1000 is pretty much useless, unless you expand it a lot (like andreas) whichs will cost you quite a bit (in effort and cash)

the wolf 23 August 2003 13:21

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
He has a Mac, wolf.
Yes. But he said he can bring graphics into PC and then to the Amiga...

Severin 23 August 2003 15:21

hmmm, considering your using a lowly (but wonderful) A1000 (My first Amiga - say 'Awwwww' ), I think your best bet is to find an old copy of DPaint 2 or 3 or Brilliance 2, or find someone with real amiga that can dl the programs and post you the floppies...

then just create the pictures on the amiga... an early version of scala (100?) should run on an A1000, that would do effects / wipes etc :)

other than that, just keep a look out for a cheap 1200/4000 they are much better for the sort of thing your doing...

Echo 23 August 2003 15:31

Does ImageFX work with old Workbench revisions? I used to use that quite a lot for loading PC-type formats.

Irfanview happens to be my favourite image viewer too, and PSP4 (yes, it's old - it's fast) my favourite editor.

hotwire132002 23 August 2003 21:35

Thanks for the help.

Severin 23 August 2003 23:27

Quote:

Originally posted by Echo
Does ImageFX work with old Workbench revisions? I used to use that quite a lot for loading PC-type formats.
:) NO CHANCE :)

remember, we're talking 1/2Mb ram, no harddrive, KS1.3...

"The Art Department" (very early ADPro) is probably your best bet for that sort of software, it was given away on a cover disk in he early 90's...

Mojo 14 October 2003 10:53

wow, an a1000 for tv titles!! lol!! Well done mate!!

mtb 14 October 2003 14:01

You can use whatever you want on the pc and convert the resulting files with the netpbm package. Yes it's command line based but it can also write ham6 ilbm files.

Note that you should convert example a tiff/png first to pnm ( ex. pngtopnm ) and after to ilbm ( pnmtoilbm -ham6 input.pnm >output.ilbm for example )

Codetapper 14 October 2003 22:08

Photoshop 7 optional File Formats!

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached the optional file formats for Photoshop 7 (PC version) but they should work with older ones too.

Simply copy the ones you want into the Plug-Ins/File Format folder and start Photoshop again and you can now load/save IFF's etc!

KombatSanta 19 January 2005 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper
I've attached the optional file formats for Photoshop 7 (PC version) but they should work with older ones too.

Simply copy the ones you want into the Plug-Ins/File Format folder and start Photoshop again and you can now load/save IFF's etc!

Cool! This helped me... old threads rock! :xmas

lloyd 19 January 2005 21:07

Irfan View will handle Amiga IFF image files with ease. Will display and re-save as JPEG, GIF etc etc. Can export files as IFF too. Best of all, Irfan View is FREEEEEEEEEEEE weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!