English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Amiga Forever (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Kickstart Rom Files??? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99323)

blade002 23 October 2019 09:03

Kickstart Rom Files???
 
I am setting up (again) ClassicWB on my CF-Card and in the process I need the Kickstart Rom files to place as we all know in Devs. I've searched far and wide but I am getting nothing except a mention of Amiga Forever having the files and although I have Amiga Forever installed on the PC I have gone though ALL the directories only to find RTB files of said Kickstarts.

I am setting up the install through WinUae to use on my real A1200 so can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction before the nut in my head rolls out to escape this situation?!

Cheers.. :banghead:banghead:banghead

dalek 23 October 2019 09:27

I'm guessing you are looking for the .rtb files?: http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/skick346

thomas 23 October 2019 09:56

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\rom\

blade002 23 October 2019 16:31

Excellent, all sorted! thank you both!!

Hewitson 24 October 2019 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1353493)
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\rom\

Wow. Could they have made them any more difficult to find? Why store them in a users home directory?

Daedalus 25 October 2019 12:40

Funny enough, that's almost exactly where I have always put my ROMs on my Windows machine when setting up WinUAE (I've never installed Amiga Forever). It makes a lot of sense to me, and others too apparently. Where else would you put them?

malko 25 October 2019 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1354051)
Funny enough, that's almost exactly where I have always put my ROMs on my Windows machine when setting up WinUAE (I've never installed Amiga Forever). It makes a lot of sense to me, and others too apparently. Where else would you put them?

What about a "ROMs" subfolder where the main executable (WinUAE) is stored ? Sounds more logical to me.

DamienD 25 October 2019 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1354058)
What about a "ROMs" subfolder where the main executable (WinUAE) is stored ? Sounds more logical to me.

Yup, that's what I do ;)

https://i.imgur.com/kyyX6dU.png

Daedalus 25 October 2019 13:59

Yeah, the default location works fine for lots of people I guess, but with ROMs, ADFs, Hardfiles and all the other files you might want to regularly interact with stored in Program Files you've got some permissions stuff to consider. DamienD's location in the root of C sorts that out somewhat, but it's still a funky location permissions-wise, particularly if you want easy access to all those files. Storing them in a public folder makes accessing them from other user accounts or over the network a lot simpler, along with making backups. And it makes sharing such files with different emulators less messy too.

DamienD 25 October 2019 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1354072)
Yeah, the default location works fine for lots of people I guess, but with ROMs, ADFs, Hardfiles and all the other files you might want to regularly interact with stored in Program Files you've got some permissions stuff to consider. DamienD's location in the root of C sorts that out somewhat, but it's still a funky location permissions-wise, particularly if you want easy access to all those files. Storing them in a public folder makes accessing them from other user accounts or over the network a lot simpler, along with making backups. And it makes sharing such files with different emulators less messy too.

Having everything stored under "C:\WinUAE" works perfectly for me.

In "Paths" I have the following set:

https://i.imgur.com/itZh2FN.png

Also, as all my configs have the following set for KS ROMs / disk based games / hard drive games:
kickstart_rom_file=.\ROMs\KS ROM v1.2 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 33.180 (256k).rom

floppy0=.\Games\Dr. Fruit\Dr. Fruit (1987)(Softgang)[t+1 ross].adf

hardfile2=rw,DH0:.\Games\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA.hdf,32,1,2,512,0,,uae
uaehf0=hdf,rw,DH0:.\\Games\\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA\\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA.hdf,32,1,2,512,0,,uae
This means I can move "C:\WinUAE" anywhere e.g. "D:\WinUAE" or a USB stick; or even rename the directory to say "C:\Amiga" and everything still works ;)

Daedalus 25 October 2019 14:18

Yeah, I'm sure it works for plenty of people, otherwise it wouldn't be the default setup - I guess my use case is a little different and so the way I (and Amiga Forever) do it makes more sense to me. I'm not fond of software populating the root of a drive, or hunting through many different locations to find files I use regularly. But since the machines I have emulators on are all different specs, their UAE configs are different too, so it's just the software side that needs to sync between them. And having them easily accessible in a public UAE folder that can be accessed across the network (including to/from actual Amigas as well as Linux PCs) makes keeping everything up-to-date easier.

Hewitson 26 October 2019 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1354051)
Funny enough, that's almost exactly where I have always put my ROMs on my Windows machine when setting up WinUAE (I've never installed Amiga Forever). It makes a lot of sense to me, and others too apparently. Where else would you put them?

I'd put them somewhere like "c:\emulation\amiga\roms".

Not only is it a million times easier to find, it won't be lost if you decide to do an OS reinstall.

Daedalus 29 October 2019 15:52

Hardly any easier, except that you know where you put them. If you want it easier to find, then the logical thing would be to follow the OS-provided locations - My Documents\Emulation\Amiga\ROMs makes more sense than hiding them away somewhere outside the normal userspace locations.

idrougge 29 October 2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1354195)
I'd put them somewhere like "c:\emulation\amiga\roms".

Not only is it a million times easier to find, it won't be lost if you decide to do an OS reinstall.

Does Windows remove your user directory or your documents if you reinstall*?

* Though I can't understand why you would reinstall the same operating system.

Daedalus 29 October 2019 18:17

No, it doesn't, unless you wipe the drive as part of the install (in which case files randomly scattered in the C:\ tree will be gone anyway).

Hewitson 30 October 2019 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1355023)
Hardly any easier, except that you know where you put them. If you want it easier to find, then the logical thing would be to follow the OS-provided locations - My Documents\Emulation\Amiga\ROMs makes more sense than hiding them away somewhere outside the normal userspace locations.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Whoever thought of the "My Documents" folder is the lamest person on the planet in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge
Does Windows remove your user directory or your documents if you reinstall*?

No it doesn't, but if you do require a reinstall, there's every chance that the problems are located within that folder. Not removing it would potentially lead to a pointless reinstallation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge
* Though I can't understand why you would reinstall the same operating system.

Well me either, unless it's Windows because it shits itself all the time.

blade002 30 October 2019 10:07

It's nice to know I wasn't going mental trying to find the Rom files after the subsequent discussion :nuts:nuts:D:D:spin:spin

davethemackem 30 October 2019 10:09

I keep mine in OneDrive so even if the PC is completely trashed in a rebuild or other disaster you always have the files stored safely

blade002 30 October 2019 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by davethemackem (Post 1355164)
I keep mine in OneDrive so even if the PC is completely trashed in a rebuild or other disaster you always have the files stored safely


I'll get onto that, I'll also put them on a USB Stick and label it Amiga along with some of the newer games I've bought for the Amiga :great

Daedalus 30 October 2019 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1355155)
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Whoever thought of the "My Documents" folder is the lamest person on the planet in my opinion.

Bizarre, but at least you acknowledge that it's just your opinion. Both macOS and all the mainstream Linux distros also have a concept of a home directory for user files, so an awful lot of people think otherwise.

Quote:

No it doesn't, but if you do require a reinstall, there's every chance that the problems are located within that folder. Not removing it would potentially lead to a pointless reinstallation.
How? Storing program or config files in the documents directory is asking for trouble.

Quote:

Well me either, unless it's Windows because it shits itself all the time.
Sounds like user error. Back in the days of XP and before, then a reinstallation was considered preventative maintenance, but these days you have to seriously balls it up yourself to need such regular reinstallations that it affects your decision on where and how to store your files.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04598 seconds with 11 queries