English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   MonAm guru 8000 0004 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60998)

jman 12 September 2011 22:28

DevPac guru 80000004 in MonAm

Hello,

I'm moving some of my code snippets onto the 4000. It's a plain 040, 16mb fast, 2mb chip, plus a scandoubler, KS 3.0, WB 3.0, no frills.

However when I try to debug *any* code into the debugger, I get a 8000 0004 guru.
My workbench is set to Productivity mode, but I notice that when I enter MonAm the screenmode changes, it looks like some interlaced mode, then guru.

What is the matter? Am I missing some libraries?

Thanks

jman 16 September 2011 13:42

Does anyone here use DevPac on a miggy connected to a VGA monitor? :(

phx 16 September 2011 15:59

Are you sure the crash is a result of the selected screen mode?
Do you have the possibility to do the same test with a PAL 640x256 mode?

Further it is not clear from your posting whether the crash happens immediately when MonAm is started, or only when loading a program to debug, or when tracing the first instruction, etc..?

I can confirm that MonAm is unable to restore the original screen when exiting with CTRL-q. But debugging on a 040 should work.

jman 17 September 2011 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by phx (Post 777256)
Are you sure the crash is a result of the selected screen mode?
Do you have the possibility to do the same test with a PAL 640x256 mode?

Further it is not clear from your posting whether the crash happens immediately when MonAm is started, or only when loading a program to debug, or when tracing the first instruction, etc..?

I can confirm that MonAm is unable to restore the original screen when exiting with CTRL-q. But debugging on a 040 should work.

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

After a couple more tries this is what I discovered.
There are two different issues:
1) When I load the debugger from the editor pressing CTRL+D, the machine raises this software error 8000 0004. No instruction is actually run into the debugger yet. I just have a glance of the debugger window for two seconds before the software error is triggered.
2) If I launch directly MonAm from WB, the screen goes into an unknown screenmode but I can blindly press CTRL+C and be back to WB.

For the moment I'd be glad to first solve point 2.
Can you (or anyone reading this post) tell me which screenmode MonAm sets? I noticed I have the same problem (point 2 of the above) when launching AsmOne. How can I solve? Do I need a SD/FF?
I never noticed these problem under WinUAE. Is it possible that an RTG card could solve?

Thanks!

kamelito 17 September 2011 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 777349)
Hi, thanks for your feedback.

After a couple more tries this is what I discovered.
There are two different issues:
1) When I load the debugger from the editor pressing CTRL+D, the machine raises this software error 8000 0004. No instruction is actually run into the debugger yet. I just have a glance of the debugger window for two seconds before the software error is triggered.
2) If I launch directly MonAm from WB, the screen goes into an unknown screenmode but I can blindly press CTRL+C and be back to WB.

For the moment I'd be glad to first solve point 2.
Can you (or anyone reading this post) tell me which screenmode MonAm sets? I noticed I have the same problem (point 2 of the above) when launching AsmOne. How can I solve? Do I need a SD/FF?
I never noticed these problem under WinUAE. Is it possible that an RTG card could solve?

Thanks!

IIRC it's 640*256 might be 640*200 for NTSC. The MonAm I was using is 3.06 I read again the review I made back then and older version of MonAm crashed on 68040. Kamel

jman 17 September 2011 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamelito (Post 777350)
IIRC it's 640*256 might be 640*200 for NTSC. The MonAm I was using is 3.06 I read again the review I made back then and older version of MonAm crashed on 68040. Kamel

Oh my god, all the issues were caused by the fact I was using an old version of DevPac (3.02).
Replacing with the latest (3.18) everything is solved, either the crash and the screenmode switching.
I tried compiling some code, everything looks ok except when I'm using custom copperlists and stuff but this is most likely because I'm connecting the LCD monitor through a scandoubler that does not fix the video signal, but I'll check in a couple of days, I should receive some hardware for the 4000.

Thank you so much for your hint, that was 100% accurate!

Also, just for the lulz, I tried launching my usual WinUAE virtual machine setting the cpu to 68040 and ticking the "more compatible" flag (whatever it does): well, guess what, Devpac 3.02 crashes in WinUAE too!!! Incredible.