English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Questions (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=12261)

mwertz 23 December 2003 12:01

Questions

Hi,

I've some questions about the latest WinUAE version....here we go!

1) Why is the WinXP CPU usage always at 100% when using a full screen mode on WinUAE together with JIT, Picasso96 and everything. Even if WinUAE is iconified in that mode, it uses 100% of my CPU. I'd like to work with WinUAE on my notebook but I can't use it very long there if it always eats up 100% CPU power. If I select a standard A500 configuration in a window and play some games, the CPU usage is only very low (~30%). But in full screen with P96 and JIT it is always 100%. What's wrong there?

2) I'd like to connect WinUAE with ADF files. When I double-click an ADF, I want WinUAE to load my standard A500 configuration and start the disk image I double-clicked. How can I do that? Where's the documentation about the WinUAE command line interface? I tried something like WinUAE -c A500.uae -f mydisk.adf but that does not seem to work.

3) In the previous version (August 2003), the start of WinUAE always made the software of my ISP crash. As soon as WinUAE launched the emulation, my ISP would hang up and the software crashed. In the current version of WinUAE, it does not always crash my internet connection but sometimes it does. When using the A500 config everything works fine, but when using full screen plus P96 plus JIT plus 040, it crashes my internet software in 2 of 3 three times. It's very strange that noone else has this problem and it's still there because my ISP software is nothing exotic. It's the official DSL software from the biggest German ISP (T-Online).

4) Is there a possibility to call the WinUAE debugger while in emulation? I'd like to cheat in some games just like in the old Action Replay days.

Well, that's it for a start.

Thanks for any help, opinions, suggestions & happy holidays

Marco

Paul 23 December 2003 12:29

Re: Questions

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by mwertz
1) Why is the WinXP CPU usage always at 100% when using a full screen mode on WinUAE together with JIT, Picasso96 and everything. Even if WinUAE is iconified in that mode, it uses 100% of my CPU. I'd like to work with WinUAE on my notebook but I can't use it very long there if it always eats up 100% CPU power. If I select a standard A500 configuration in a window and play some games, the CPU usage is only very low (~30%). But in full screen with P96 and JIT it is always 100%. What's wrong there?
Try playing with the Idle setting;)

Toni Wilen 23 December 2003 12:47

1: already answered. JIT = as fast possible, uses all available CPU cycles without hack (Idle-slider in CPU-tab) that detects 680x0's STOP-instruction and waits a little.

2: -f <config file> -0 <path to adf> (-1 = DF1, -2 = DF2..)

3: ISP software? I feel your pain...
Does it stop crashing if bsdsocket emulation is disabled?

4: press SHIFT+F12 (not recommended in fullscreen mode..)

Amigaboy 23 December 2003 13:46

In reply to the third point:
I don't have any ISP software, so that's not the problem. However on rare instances (about 5% of the time) when I start WinUAE's emulation, Opera will kill itself. Initially, I blamed the Opera version that I use (a friend of mine had Opera crash on him frequently until he upgraded to the latest), but it's only with WinUAE that this happens to me.

Most of my WinUAE usage is on a normal A500 config, although there are times when I'll boot an 040 A1200 config. I doubt config would matter in this situation though.

Additionally, I'm also using Windows XP (SP1) so it could be an XP related problem?

Unfortunately I can't reproduce this since it's fairly random, however I can say that it's been happening since 0.8.22r X.

Konrad 23 December 2003 18:31

Re: Questions

Quote:

Originally posted by mwertz
It's the official DSL software from the biggest German ISP (T-Online).
Why do you use the T-Online software anyway ? It's just crap. Search the web for a tutorial how to setup a simple dialup connection for T-Online DSL, that's what I did. There's no need to use the software except you use Online Banking. But in this case you can still use the software.