English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Problem with display modes (VGA) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=19160)

Zombie13 01 July 2005 14:13

Problem with display modes (VGA)

Hi there. I hope someone can help with this.

A while back, I bought a scan doubler, and configured the HD-installed Workbench 3 on my A1200 to display a VGA signal. Since then, I've replaced my monitor with a TFT, which is not exactly brilliant.

I can no longer see the Workbench screen on either the TFT or the TV, so I need a way to resconfigure Workbench to output a default PAL signal. I have the Workbench 3 floppy disks which I can boot from, so I'm thinking this would be the best way to start.

Anyone? :confused

thomas 01 July 2005 14:24

Quote:

A while back, I bought a scan doubler, and configured the HD-installed Workbench 3 on my A1200 to display a VGA signal.
That's nonsense. Either you have a scandoubler, than you can display normal NTSC/PAL TV modes on the VGA monitor, or you choose a VGA mode then you don't need an expensive scandoubler but a simple 23pin sub-d -> 15pin VGA adapter.

Quote:

I can no longer see the Workbench screen on either the TFT or the TV, so I need a way to resconfigure Workbench to output a default PAL signal.
Connect the Amiga to a TV, switch it on and immediately hold down both mouse buttons to enter the early-startup menu. In the menu choose "boot without startup-sequence". You'll get a DOS window. Enter

delete sys:prefs/presets/env-archive/sys/screenmode.prefs

Then reboot and use Prefs/Screenmode to choose a new screen mode suitable for your monitor.

keropi 01 July 2005 14:58

well said thomas...

Zombie13 01 July 2005 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas
That's nonsense. Either you have a scandoubler, than you can display normal NTSC/PAL TV modes on the VGA monitor, or you choose a VGA mode then you don't need an expensive scandoubler but a simple 23pin sub-d -> 15pin VGA adapter.

Oops. Sorry, I meant the VGA adapter. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas
Connect the Amiga to a TV, switch it on and immediately hold down both mouse buttons to enter the early-startup menu. In the menu choose "boot without startup-sequence". You'll get a DOS window. Enter

delete sys:prefs/presets/env-archive/sys/screenmode.prefs

Then reboot and use Prefs/Screenmode to choose a new screen mode suitable for your monitor.

I tried that, but "sys:prefs/presets" was empty. However, I then did a Google search for "screenmode.prefs", and found another forum where someone advised to delete "sys:prefs/env-archive/sys/screenmode.prefs" which worked.

Thanks for your help and speedy reply!

thomas 01 July 2005 18:12

I am sorry, my fault. Usually I mix up presets with env-archive. This time I used both, which is not much better.