English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WinUAE Freeze Using Extended CD32 ROMs Under Windows 98 (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5525)

CodyJarrett 17 July 2002 20:38

WinUAE Freeze Using Extended CD32 ROMs Under Windows 98

Whenever I use the extended CD32 ROMs in WinUAE under Windows 98, it freezes completely.

I've tried all the settings and nothing seems to work. I've also updated the ASPI drivers.

It works on the same computer under Windows XP, but then XP itself doesn't work properly after some time - it's hangs too!

Has anyone else had the same problem?

jmmijo 17 July 2002 21:15

I've not yet tried out the CD32 part of WinUAE. I bet Ian has though ;)

Ian 17 July 2002 22:36

Only with XP though;)

So I'd be useless trying to help ya' CodyJ'. Best bet would be Retroman I think:)

Nyarlathotep 17 July 2002 23:07

CD32 working here with last WinUae and Windows 98 SE...
I don't' know what can be your problem

RetroMan 17 July 2002 23:30

Thx Ian :D But I donĀ“t think I can be usefull here, I had exact the same probs as Cody, but after updating the ASPI Drivers and creating a new CD32-config from the scratch, everything worked fine :)

@Cody

Maybe you should post your logfile here, just to have an overview of what happened ;)

Toni Wilen 17 July 2002 23:32

Could you include your system specs + winuae log showing available aspi devices?

Quote:

It works on the same computer under Windows XP, but then XP itself doesn't work properly after some time - it's hangs too!
Does it still crash if you don't tick "Use ASPI SCSI layer"? (only possible under 2K/XP) If yes, you either have bad hardware or buggy device driver (probably came with crappy cdr/rw burning software)

MaNiAX 26 August 2002 00:58

got the problem fixed....

at first my System Specs:
Win98SE
AMD Athlon
WinUAE 8.21r4
1 Atapi CD (Slave)
Had the same problem - tried many aspi drivers, it didnt work after all. Try to deactivate DMA access for your CD Drive in the windows system tab. After doing that all worked fine for me. "Fine" means jerky because of the CD-Access during Microcosm for example. I hope they get that bug fixed.

andreas 26 August 2002 01:19

Quote:

Try to deactivate DMA access for your CD Drive in the windows system tab. After doing that all worked fine for me.
Argh. Could this mean a bug in the emulator? I don't think that it's normal case when you have to modify Windows settings for emulation (except joystick settings). That always makes me become suspicious. :suspiciou

Toni Wilen 26 August 2002 15:41

Quote:

Try to deactivate DMA access for your CD Drive in the windows system tab. After doing that all worked fine for me.
Driver bug, crap cd burning software or buggy mainboard ide drivers. It seems this is becoming my standard answer when replying to cdrom problems :)

From WinUAE's point of view there is no difference between DMA or non-DMA mode. WinUAE thinks it is sending some SCSI commands to something that looks like a SCSI device.

Quote:

1 Atapi CD (Slave)
With or without master? Single slave is not supported IDE configuration (it usually works but...)

Unregistered 27 August 2002 03:01

IDE HD is master, CD is slave
SIS Mobo with SIS 5513 HD Controller

jmmijo 27 August 2002 03:11

Have you also tried to setup the CD as the Master and connect it to the Secondary IDE controller port?

Toni Wilen 27 August 2002 18:19

Oops, I forgot that next version will have small change in ASPI media detection that might fix some problems. (but I don't understand how...)