English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   C Compiler question (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83546)

FizzyChicken 22 July 2016 21:22

C Compiler question

Hi. Back in 1993 for my University dissertation I wrote a Fractal Scenery Generator on the Amiga. In the years since I've lost the executable and all my old Amiga floppies etc, but I do have the C listing for my application.

So my question is, which C compiler do people think I used, because I'm thinking about re-entering my code on UAE and breathing life into my past software. I can't remember which compiler I used at the time but I do remember that it worked on the University's A500, just 8). At home I had an A1500 with expansions and it worked great on that.

I've had a quick look at Lattice 3 but it didn't ring any bells. Anyone else got any suggestions as to what I used to build my project ?

Thanks.

mark_k 22 July 2016 21:24

Aztec C? DICE?

FizzyChicken 22 July 2016 21:36

It came on one floppy. I remember that. There was much floppy swapping on an A500, but it would compile.

RedskullDC 23 July 2016 01:40

Hi FizzyChiken, et al.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FizzyChicken (Post 1102576)
It came on one floppy. I remember that. There was much floppy swapping on an A500, but it would compile.

Only C compiler that could be shoehorned onto one disk (that I know of) was Aztec 3.x.

Cheers,
Red

gilgamesh 23 July 2016 08:56

Shouldn't K&R C code compile (almost) the same on any K&R C compiler?

phx 23 July 2016 10:41

Looking at the source could give us some more hints. Were there any compiler-specific proto-, pragma- or inline include-directives? Or compiler-specific C-library function calls? Lattice- and SAS/C had some of those (e.g. stccpy(), strsfn(), etc.).

When the source is plain K&R- or ANSI-C there shouldn't be a problem anyway, and you can use any compiler you want.

alkis 23 July 2016 11:55

Since you are going to work with UAE, you can lift the restrain of one floppy only.

Setup a hard disk for UAE, install SAS C, enjoy.

emufan 23 July 2016 15:14

Aztec-C 5.2a and 3.6a - HDF
SAS-C 6.58 with latest updates - HDF

nogginthenog 23 July 2016 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedskullDC (Post 1102604)
Only C compiler that could be shoehorned onto one disk (that I know of) was Aztec 3.x.

I think DICE could run from floppy.

idrougge 24 July 2016 04:29

I think North C could also run from floppy.

FizzyChicken 26 July 2016 12:16

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look at those compilers. As you say, since I'll be using UAE there's no need for the single floppy restriction 8). The source looks pretty standard to me, albeit a bit strange looking at my own code from 23 years ago 8). Here's the include stuff:

#include <exec/types.h>
#include <exec/memory.h>
#include <intuition/intuition.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <libraries/dos.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <graphics/gfx.h>

No pragmas that I can find.

B14ck W01f 14 September 2016 07:46

HiSoft C?

Zetr0 14 September 2016 09:19

@FizzyChicken

Quote:

Originally Posted by FizzyChicken (Post 1102976)
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look at those compilers. As you say, since I'll be using UAE there's no need for the single floppy restriction 8). The source looks pretty standard to me, albeit a bit strange looking at my own code from 23 years ago 8). Here's the include stuff:

#include <exec/types.h>
#include <exec/memory.h>
#include <intuition/intuition.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <libraries/dos.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <graphics/gfx.h>

No pragmas that I can find.

This is very generic and would run under DICE / Hi-Soft / Lattice / SAS / and Storm C

kamelito 14 September 2016 15:12

@FizzyChicken
Just put the source code into the Zone and someone will build an exe :)
Kamelito