English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A4000 Battery (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9590)

thinlega 25 April 2003 19:58

A4000 Battery

1 Attachment(s)
Is it ok to yank this little bugger out....as it is making a mess of the motherboard. What should I do to clean up the poo it has left???

Syko 25 April 2003 21:04

YANK IT OUT NOW!

If the nicad is leaking, you can lose tracks off the motherboard... use IsoPropylAlcohol (or IPA for short) to clean any crp off - use a cotton bud and wipe once each end then chuck, for best results.

It is possible to replace it with a remote mounted PC battery, or hack a button cell clip onto the board - but this needs a diode to remove the charging voltage. Get it right first time! Of course you could just get a straight replacement and solder it in.

jmmijo 25 April 2003 21:28

I agree with Syko, remove it now as I waited too long and I'm pretty sure that some of my A4000's traces are broken :(

Overdoc 26 April 2003 03:08

Yes, remove it immediately !
I have made bad experience when I got an A-500+ from a fleamarket.
The acid from it's battery had already killed one of the smaller chips and also destroyed some traces. I had to desolder the chip and replace the tracs with wires by the help of the schematics. Fortunately I got it right at the second attempt and now it works again :)
But that won't be easy to replace on a A-4000 board with all that small SMD parts... !

So: Desolder it now, or cut it off at least !

thinlega 29 April 2003 21:44

tanks guys....I have ripped it out ok...!!

What would you use to clean the gooo off the motherboard???

jmmijo 29 April 2003 22:11

Quote:

Originally posted by thinlega
tanks guys....I have ripped it out ok...!!

What would you use to clean the gooo off the motherboard???

Denatured alcohol of at least 95% or better. There is no Glycerin or other things in this kind of Alcohol :D

I use this with cotton swabs/buds to clean off any excess residue then evaporation takes care of the rest. The best option is some luquid called Freon TF but it's now a controlled substance here in the US so you can't find it very easily :(

Shadowfire 30 April 2003 00:44

alcohol is ok, but follow it up by washing with a solution of 5% baking soda, then clean up with water.

jmmijo 30 April 2003 01:15

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadowfire
alcohol is ok, but follow it up by washing with a solution of 5% baking soda, then clean up with water.
You're probably thinking of standard rubbing alcohol which has other things in it and is usually only 70% alcohol ;)

Syko 03 May 2003 11:24

What he really means is IsoPropyle Alcohol or IPA for short (yes I know I can't spell) this is used throughout the electronics industry for cleaning curcuit boards and will cause no damage to componets and leave no residue.

Frankly the baking soda and water solution (:laughing) is a makeshift fix and I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't have any IPA.

jmmijo 03 May 2003 19:15

Quote:

Originally posted by Syko

Frankly the baking soda and water solution (:laughing) is a makeshift fix and I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't have any IPA.

Yes well I find it does work well on car/truck engine batteries pretty good however ;)

Syko 04 May 2003 15:05

Yep it'll neutralise the sulphuric acid from them. While the leakage from NiCads is also acidic, so it will work with that, the residue left behind can be a problem - IPA dilutes and removes all the acid, and leaves no residue :cool