English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   BCD Arithmetic - howto^ (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54585)

Herpes 17 August 2010 22:00

BCD Arithmetic - howto^

Hi coding gurus - please help!

Just wanted to test how to work with BCD (binary coded decimal) arithmetics in assembler - and I got confused. I never used it but always thought it would be crystal clear and easy :D

My assumption was that 4 bit represent one BCD-Digit and hence if I add 1 to 09 I get 10. This works somehow:
Code:

move.w  #4,CCR
    moveq  #1,d0
    moveq  #9,d1
    abcd    d0,d1
    rts

The result is literally '10' in d1 - as I expected. But - an now I start to get confused - this works well until 19 - when I add for instance 5 in d0 to 15 in d1 I get as a result 1A in d1 :shocked

Well, well, in the 68K instruction set sheet there is a nice example how to use BCD-arithmetics with multiple bcd-digits which is done using bcd digits in memory which is similar to this code:

Code:

start
    lea    num1,a0
    lea    num2,a1
    move  #4,CCR
    moveq  #3,d0
.lp
    abcd    -(a0),-(a1)
    dbra    d0,.lp
    rts

dcb.b  100,$ff      ; just dummy - for hexdump
    dc.b    12,34,98,01  ; should be 12349801
num1
    dc.b    0,0,0,99    ; should be 00000099 and result in 12349900
num2
    dcb.b  100,$ff

I get strange results. Normally I would expect to get 12,34,99,00 as a result. But when I hexdump the memory I get 12 (18 dec),22 (34 dec), 62 (98 dec) and 64 (100). Actually I don't care how they are displayed but this is a complete mix-up! I mean I have no Idea how to define a BCD Number else then using dc.b 12 which will be shown as $0C in hexdump. But when it is added the $C value must be interpreted as a 12 and the result should be correct.

I thought that the digits in memory would be treated as BCD and stored as such. But this is not the case. This is also not the case when I use the registers to compute.

Please enlighten me - I am completely confused and and on the brink of madness - this must be easy and I have overseen something - or I am really :nuts - I think I need a nap :sleep

Thanks in advance.

StingRay 17 August 2010 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herpes (Post 693333)
when I add for instance 5 in d0 to 15 in d1 I get as a result 1A in d1 :shocked

15 is not the same as $15 (which would be the valid BCD number).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herpes (Post 693333)
I get strange results. Normally I would expect to get 12,34,99,00 as a result.

Not very surprising since when using BCD arithmetic you should actually use BCD numbers. ;) Same problem as above.

12 != $12; 34 != $34 etc.

BCD: Only numbers 0-9 are used (that's why they are called binary coded DECIMALS), so 9 becomes $9, 10 = $10, 11 = $11 etc.

Herpes 17 August 2010 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 693367)
15 is not the same as $15 (which would be the valid BCD number).

Not very surprising since when using BCD arithmetic you should actually use BCD numbers. ;) Same problem as above.

12 != $12; 34 != $34 etc.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I know that $12 != 12 - at least I though I would :D

Just to explain my idiotic blackout and to reconstruct how my confusion became virulent - I got strange results after trying a bit and forgetting to clear the X and set Z (move #4,CCR) (that I know now). Second I was not sure anymore whether the value in the register is only interpreted through the abcd-instruction as a bcd value. What confused me int this regard even more was the example in Peter Wollschlägers Assembler-book where he wrote that he has 2 BCD - numbers (3 digits 123456 and 654321) in memory starting @ address 1001:12 1002:34 1003:56 and @ address 2001:65 2002:43 2003:21 - I think this was the main reason.

This shows what a stupid idiot I am :banghead this is embarrassing!

At least you helped to clear my confusion and get my code working :great
Thank you very much.

Photon 22 August 2010 12:11

BCD is silly and useless, inefficient and a typical 'bad idea'. It has always baffled me why they wasted instruction bits putting them in the CPUs. Even after 1971 they continued with that crap :) Even after the 68000 they continued.

It's perfectly safe for every coder to rip out the pages concerning BCD instructions from their programming manuals and forget about them completely.

Perhaps its flaws can be used for some contrived demo effect.

Herpes 25 August 2010 23:36

Hehe, yes that's my opinion too after my confusion was settled and my code worked. I have no practical application for it ... (yet)

Thorham 26 August 2010 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 694446)
BCD is silly and useless, inefficient and a typical 'bad idea'. It has always baffled me why they wasted instruction bits putting them in the CPUs. Even after 1971 they continued with that crap :) Even after the 68000 they continued.

It's perfectly safe for every coder to rip out the pages concerning BCD instructions from their programming manuals and forget about them completely.

Perhaps its flaws can be used for some contrived demo effect.

BCD is not at all useless and silly, it has it's uses, see here on Wikipedia: advantages.

Photon 26 August 2010 22:50

What, they really mean base 10 is good for base 10 arithmetic!?

...except the normal instructions do it faster and isn't limited to the few example calculations they list. The 7-segment display crap is silly, BCD is much older, they should have used nixies for the example instead. Converting to text is hard now??

And oh I see, printing a 7 million decimal math constant shows the flaws of binary arithmetic and the superiority of BCD. I wonder how the math lab programmers at Uni have coped all these decades!!! ;)

That big a number is always generated. By computers. Wozniak showed how to compute e to a couple hundred thousand places (216000 or something? IIRC) in 1978 already. He did it right, ie. instead of converting like a nincompoop he delivered the digits in base 10 already. Interesting read, that was.

OK, I will now start a BCD is shit club! Hehe.

Lonewolf10 05 September 2010 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 694446)

Hardly useless.

How would you store a 100 digit number efficiently? BCD is the only efficient option I can think of (forgetting about compressing it, of course), with storing it as a string being the next option, but using twice as much memory.

Personally I find BCD to be pretty cool, just as Hexadecimal, Roman Numerals and Binary are :)

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Leffmann 06 September 2010 00:20

I can also see how it's very useful if you need to very quickly access individual digits of base 10 in a number, or quickly do operations like divisions or multiplications with 10^n. Question is, when do you need to?

If you were just to store the number as efficiently as possible (as little space as possible) then encoding it in base 256 and store as a number of bytes would be the most efficient+practical solution.

Photon 07 September 2010 00:11

Well, by the clues I left in my previous post you can find out what they were put in CPUs for, and why their use after the appearance of >256 bytes RAM in computers and non-serial output devices (not to mention FPUs and CPUs with larger words than 8 bits) made them quite obsolete. A computer's base is 2, and it has always been that way, all input data is in base 2, all units are made to calculate it. The reasons for its brief appearance on the scene are temporary practical ones.

I agree the limited uses on large numbers only using certain operations in base 10 is a bit silly. First of all, nobody who needs to operate on really large numbers in base 10 buys a $30 7 MHz CPU to do it, much less an 80 MHz one 10 years later, and certainly not droves of them to compensate for the puny speed. They tacked it on unnecessarily.

Secondly, the instructions are rudimentary for even the simplest math someone would want to do, and they'd do it inefficiently.

Anyway. :)

I've left some clues for those who want to find out their use way back and don't want the nostalgia spoiled. Would be cool if someone could contribute some code snippet where they're (ab)used to do something useful on Amiga, but...

phx 20 June 2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 697984)
Would be cool if someone could contribute some code snippet where they're (ab)used to do something useful on Amiga, but...

I found BCD to be useful while trying to display the scores for the game Sqrxz.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=sqrxz

Having to spend 140 cycles for each "divu #10" in a timing-critical program like a scrolling platform game is certainly to be avoided. So I keep all the scores in BCD and only have to do some masking and shifting to convert it into ASCII, ready to display.

Photon 20 June 2012 21:35

I'm sorry if I was being polite and vague. BCD is useless and was only wasting instruction space in 680x0 to provide easy recoding of horrible old CP/M and mainframe programs. My point was using them for something other than their intended horrible purpose that would be of use in loops in games and demos, some way of making them .01% special-case useful, at least. :D (pant pant)

Sorry, I really hate BCD with a vengeance. Once stored the wrong way (in BCD) you couldn't do arithmetic other than + and - to it. A 10x bonus multiplier would mean you'd have to loop/repeat-add 10 times, or a bunch of if-statements to add different constants.

What you want out is each digit in a byte or possibly word. Preferably also keeping the score as a normal number, so you could go add #bonus,score rather than having a multiline macro or subroutine to cascade-update the score. Rather than storing them in nibbles, second best would be to store them in bytes or words all the time, and cascade-add to that.

While cascading add adds 48 cycles per two digits (compared to cascading abcd) but saves the 34-cycle (per two digits), nibble-masking and shifting you mention it's ugly. My favorite is

Code:

;d0=4710
divu #100,d0
add.w d0,d0
move.w Tbl99(PC,d0.w),d1    ;or -(a1)...
swap d0
swap d1
add.w d0,d0
move.w Tbl99(PC,d0.w),d1
;d1="4710"

because you can keep the score as a number and only do this once per score-update. Another div for 4 more digits. Even with BCD-stored numbers, getting 8 digits out as ASCII will have a hard time competing with this. You can easily modify the table to get two byte- or word-offsets to graphics out instead of ASCII.

There should be some successive approximation inverse-multiply or daisy-chained magic constant-subtract algorithms out there but they're bound to be crap so I didn't bother looking.

Codetapper 20 June 2012 23:38

I disagree about BCD being useless too. If you have an 8 digit decimal score and your scoring system is relatively simple (ie. adding the odd value to the score once in a while), then BCD is definitely the way to go.

Say you wanted to add 1000 points to the score:

Code:

lea    value(pc),a1
        move.l  #$1000,(a1)+  ;a1 now points to the end of the value to add

lea    score+4(pc),a0
        sub    d0,d0        ;to clear the carry
        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
score  dc.l    0
value  dc.l    0

Obviously adding to the score is slower than an add.l #1000,score instruction. But you make huge gains when it comes to displaying the score:

Code:

lea    digits(pc),a0    ;8 bytes
        move.l  score,d0
        move.l  d0,d1
        and.l  #$F0F0F0F0,d0
        eor.l  d0,d1
        lsr.l  #4,d0
        ;if your character set is ASCII, add the 2 following lines:
        ;add.l  #$30303030,d0
        ;add.l  #$30303030,d1
        movep.l d0,0(a0)
        movep.l d1,1(a0)

Not a single division operation is used, and you have all 8 bytes of the score now converted to decimal ready for printing each character. One div operation is conceivably more cycles than the entire conversion code above takes.

You might need to replace the movep instructions if you're running on an 060 but BCD has some unique/awesome features!

Photon 21 June 2012 01:59

For 8 digits, your BCD comes in at 348 cycles, div comes in at 448, and a stupid ascii adder without checking if add-value is < 10000 comes in at 436c (else it would be 280c).

So that's how much adding instructions on a whim saves, 11 cycles per digit (less if 68060 compatibility is desired...). BCD was added as a lazy convenience, never to save cycles or code size. It's never used where performance is of importance, as this max-once-per-frame score example shows.

Modify your code for 4 digits as is the case with Sqrzx and I'll make a comparison with div.

Codetapper 21 June 2012 05:50

If you're not concerned about memory on a 100 word table, you could go one step further, divide by 10,000 and store 10,000 longwords of every combination to handle an 8 digit score with 1 div! :)

I remember seeing huge ASCII strings 00010203040506070809101112 etc in games and wondering what on earth they had done that for. I guess they're using Photon's score lookup method.

In my case I also go through the ASCII string and change the first digit from "0" to a space as I like right aligned scores without leading 0's.

I guess you could adjust Photon's table lookup to have a second table of 100 words with the leading 0's replaced and use that table when relevant.

For 4 digits, the only real change is a few longwords change to words:

Code:

Add4    lea    value(pc),a1
        move.l  a1,a0        ;a0 now points to the end of the score
        move.w  #$1000,(a1)+  ;a1 now points to the end of the value to add

sub    d0,d0        ;to clear the carry
        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)

Show4  lea    digits(pc),a0    ;4 bytes
        move.w  score(pc),d0
        move.w  d0,d1
        and.w  #$F0F0,d0
        eor.w  d0,d1
        lsr.w  #4,d0
        ;add.w  #'00',d0
        ;add.w  #'00',d1
        movep.w d0,0(a0)
        movep.w d1,1(a0)
score  dc.w    0
value  dc.w    0
digits  ds.b    4

It might be quicker to move '00' into a register, add that to d0 and d1, or maybe skip that and at the very end do add.l #'0000',(a0) instead if you're dealing with ASCII digits.

phx 21 June 2012 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 824792)
Modify your code for 4 digits as is the case with Sqrzx and I'll make a comparison with div.

This is the code I'm currently using:
Code:

8      subq.l  #8,sp
4      move.l  sp,a0
12      move.b  Score(a4),d0
4      moveq  #15,d1
4      and.b  d0,d1
8      move.b  d1,(a0)+
14      lsr.b  #4,d0
8      move.b  d0,(a0)+
12      move.b  Score+1(a4),d0
4      moveq  #15,d1
4      and.b  d0,d1
8      move.b  d1,(a0)+
14      lsr.b  #4,d0
8      move.b  d0,(a0)
28      add.l  #'0000',(sp)
---

Comparing that with your divu+table approach:
Code:

8      subq.l  #8,sp
4      moveq  #0,d0
12      move.w  Score(a4),d0
140    divu    #100,d0
4      add.w  d0,d0
14      move.w  Tbl99(pc,d0.w),d1
4      swap    d0
4      swap    d1
4      add.w  d0,d0
14      move.w  Tbl99(pc,d0.w),d1
12      move.l  d1,(sp)
---

This shows a gain of 80 cycles (provided I looked up the cycles correctly) and nearly 400 bytes of memory, where I happily accept some BCD arithmetics for. :)

EDIT: And Codetappers solution with eor and movep even gains another 30 cycles (110)! Very nice. Although I'm not sure if I want to use movep.

Photon 21 June 2012 16:37

I removed the extraneous abcd but added the ASCII as that's what comes out of phx's too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper (Post 824804)
Code:

8        lea    value(pc),a1
4        move.l  a1,a0        ;a0 now points to the end of the score
12      move.w  #$1000,(a1)+  ;a1 now points to the end of the value to add

4        sub    d0,d0        ;to clear the carry
32        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
32        abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
        ;abcd    -(a1),-(a0)
        ;abcd    -(a1),-(a0)

8        lea    digits(pc),a0    ;4 bytes
12        move.w  score(pc),d0
4        move.w  d0,d1
8        and.w  #$F0F0,d0
4        eor.w  d0,d1
14        lsr.w  #4,d0
8        add.w  #'00',d0
8        add.w  #'00',d1
24        movep.w d0,0(a0)
24        movep.w d1,1(a0)
=206

Code:

16        add.w #1000,score

4        moveq #0,d0
8        lea score+4(PC),a1
8      move.w (a1),d0
140        divu #100,d0
4        add.w d0,d0
26        move.w Tbl99(PC,d0.w),-(a1)
4        swap d0
4        add.w d0,d0
26        move.w Tbl99(PC,d0.w),-(a1)
=240

If you need to replace the movep you've saved 1 cycle per digit, if you add to the score maximum once per frame. If the player should kill 2 baddies in one frame, the BCD method takes longer.

The table takes 200 bytes, but has the advantage that it can directly point to digit graphics, digit-pair graphics, or digit-pair blits. It's silly to do that for scores, on the other hand it saves many more cycles than using BCD ;)

Here's a non-div, non-table, non-BCD alternative:

Code:

maxdigit="0"+"0"+10
mindigit="0"+10
8        lea score(pc),a1
28        add.l #"1000",score(a4)

4        moveq #maxdigit,d0
4        moveq #mindigit,d1
4        moveq #10,d2
8        move.w #1<<8,d3

16        move.l score(a4),d4
        REPT 4
4        sub.b d0,d4
18/2        bpl.s .ok
4/2        add.b d2,d4
4/2        add.w d3,d4        ;carry
.ok:4        add.b d1,d4
24        ror.l #8,d4
45x4        ENDR
16        move.l d4,score(a4)
=268
score:  dc.b "0000"

Codetapper 21 June 2012 20:43

Whoops, thanks for spotting the excess abcd instructions when I modified it. I also dislike using movep. I am loving this thread though!

Asman 21 June 2012 23:14

As I know abcd works with extended bit ( x bit ) so sub.w d0,d0 clear x bit in this case.

My first attempt (based on Codetapper version with BCD):
Code:

;add aabb (in this case 100 points ) to the score

lea        score(pc),a0        ;8c
        sub.w        d0,d0                ;4c clear X bit
        moveq        #1,d0                ;4c BCD aa
        moveq        #0,d1                ;4c BCD bb (can be removed in this case:) )

move.l        (a0),d2                ;12c

abcd        d1,d2                ;6c
        swap        d2                ;4c
        abcd        d0,d2                ;6c
        swap        d2                ;4c

move.l        d2,(a0)+        ;12c        now a0 points to digits
                                ;=64c

move.l        d2,d1                ;4c
        and.l        #$00f000f0,d2        ;14c
        eor.l        d2,d1                ;8c
        lsl.l        #4,d2                ;16c
        or.l        d1,d2                ;6c
        add.l        #'0000',d2        ;16c
        move.l        d2,(a0)                ;12c
                                ;=76c
                                ;total 140c
score:        dc.w        $09,$99
digits:        dc.l        0

If there is something wrong please correct me.

Photon 21 June 2012 23:43

That seems to add 100 to a strangely stored score, using moveq to save cycles for one case when it really should work for adding any number :)

We excluded the bsr/rts etc for easier comparison, but you need to isolate the adding from the conversion (to compare with previous examples, and how these things would work in a real game.)

You can store the score as bytes with BCD numbers only in the lower nibble, you can store them as byte numbers between -1 and -10 or 0 and -9, or as bytes multiplied by 26 or 13... but it would just get uglier and uglier I think ;)

I was really only interested in showing BCD gives no real gain, but you can optimize away if you want of course :)