English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   BAWarp disk imager (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42048)

BlueAchenar 16 January 2009 20:09

BAWarp disk imager
 
1 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm writing a new floppy disk dumping tool and creating this thread for testing it. :)

Main differences from existing tools:
- Tries to use PWM on the motor signal to slow the floppy drive by a multiple of 2
- Uses DTW (Dynamic Time Warping) for data correction
- Final version will only need an A500 (it will be very slow though)

First experimental version as attachment.

AmigaFriend 16 January 2009 20:14

Blue,

Second bawarp program gave the same result.

Floppy flickering, shell with no output. 0 bytes written.

BlueAchenar 16 January 2009 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpect (Post 499945)
Blue,

Second bawarp program gave the same result.

Floppy flickering, shell with no output. 0 bytes written.

Thanks xpect. Seems like the program isn't detecting the index signal. Will try to correct this and upload a new version.

AmigaFriend 16 January 2009 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 499947)
Thanks xpect. Seems like the program isn't detecting the index signal. Will try to correct this and upload a new version.


Ok. Just to remind you that I'm using a A4000 with HD 1760K capable floppy drive, but using 880K DD media for the test.

BlueAchenar 16 January 2009 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpect (Post 499950)
Ok. Just to remind you that I'm using a A4000 with HD 1760K capable floppy drive, but using 880K DD media for the test.

Maybe your drive doesn't produce an index signal :( But I'll look for some problem in the program.

BlueAchenar 16 January 2009 20:40

1 Attachment(s)
New version.

AmigaFriend 16 January 2009 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 499964)
New version.


Sorry mate, but same result. :sad

BlueAchenar 16 January 2009 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpect (Post 499975)
Sorry mate, but same result. :sad

Hum. Really have to try it at home. Thanks mate :great

prowler 16 January 2009 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 499903)
Could someone with a fairly fast Amiga (68030@30MHz at least) and an HD test an app for me?

Hi BlueAchenar,

Does this minimum spec still apply? I have a box-standard A1200 and another, which I received only yesterday, with an '030/40MHz accelerator with FPU, as yet untested. Can I use an original machine, or will it have to be fitted with the accelerator? I cannot test it just yet anyway, as someone else is using the TV. :(

BTW, I like the program name! :D

BlueAchenar 16 January 2009 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 500018)
Hi BlueAchenar,

Does this minimum spec still apply? I have a box-standard A1200 and another, which I received only yesterday, with an '030/40MHz accelerator with FPU, as yet untested. Can I use an original machine, or will it have to be fitted with the accelerator? I cannot test it just yet anyway, as someone else is using the TV. :(

BTW, I like the program name! :D

Original name right? :D But it is actually accurate, made by BA and warps data to correct it. ;)

The one with the accelerator would be better, but as it stands right now, any amiga will do for testing the motor routines. :)

prowler 17 January 2009 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 500020)
The one with the accelerator would be better, but as it stands right now, any amiga will do for testing the motor routines. :)

Right, I'll probably test it with both machines. The accelerator won't fit through the trapdoor and I don't want to have to strip it apart for this test. The other machine was delivered in bits and without the case screws, so I'll lash it together and this program will give me an excuse to test it. ;)

I've downloaded all versions available so far (3 AFAIK). Is it worth testing them all or just the latest?

BlueAchenar 17 January 2009 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 500027)
Right, I'll probably test it with both machines. The accelerator won't fit through the trapdoor and I don't want to have to strip it apart for this test. The other machine was delivered in bits and without the case screws, so I'll lash it together and this program will give me an excuse to test it. ;)

I've downloaded all versions available so far (3 AFAIK). Is it worth testing them all or just the latest?

latest only.

prowler 17 January 2009 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 500028)
latest only.

:great

Should get interesting when I try to stay live on EAB while I wait for a result from your program in another room...

Supamax 17 January 2009 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 499943)
- Tries to use PWM on the motor signal to slow the floppy drive by a multiple of 2
- Uses DTW (Dynamic Time Warping) for data correction
- Final version will only need an A500 (it will be very slow though)

Great news!
Which is the output file format?
Would it be possible to generate extended adf's? :D

BlueAchenar 17 January 2009 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supamax (Post 500031)
Great news!
Which is the output file format?
Would it be possible to generate extended adf's? :D

The output format is a raw dump of each track (actually it is the merging of 3 reads of the same track). But it has to produce a image yet. :D
I'm still testing if it is possible to slow the drive to a constant speed to produce good dumps with very good bit resolution.
It should be possible to convert these images to an extended ADF, yes.

Supamax 17 January 2009 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 500035)
The output format is raw dump of each track (actually it is the merging of 3 reads of the same track). But it has to produce a image yet. :D
I'm still testing if it is possible to slow the drive to a constant speed to produce good dumps with very good bit resolution.
It should be possible to convert these images to a extended ADF, yes.

When you thought about writing it, which output did you have in mind?
Compatible with one of the other famous MFM warpers?

BlueAchenar 17 January 2009 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supamax (Post 500036)
When you thought about writing it, which output did you have in mind?
Compatible with one of the other famous MFM warpers?

Nope. I thought about more about the IPF format.
Measuring the distances between polarity changes in the track. It seems the most accurate option to me.

I think the motor isn't spinning up as expected, that's why it isn't dumping anything. I'll correct it later tonight.

Supamax 17 January 2009 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 500039)
Nope. I thought about more about the IPF format.
Measuring the distances between polarity changes in the track. It seems the most accurate option to me.

You are Da Man! :great:bowdown

BlueAchenar 17 January 2009 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supamax (Post 500042)
You are Da Man! :great:bowdown

No, I'm not. It's not working. :p But thanks! :D

prowler 17 January 2009 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supamax (Post 500042)
You are Da Man! :great:bowdown

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAchenar (Post 500045)
No, I'm not. It's not working. :p But thanks! :D

Supamax is eternally grateful and encouraging - always a good man to have by your side! :D


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.05882 seconds with 11 queries