English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Best Amiga 3D FPS (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=7672)

Steve 11 December 2002 16:44

The Best Amiga 3D FPS

What is the Amigas best FPS game? I was inspired to create this poll after downloading and installing the completely awesome Genetic Species from Aminet. That's got my vote. Have I missed any games out?

Alien Breed 3D - Looks crap
Alien Breed 3D II - Looks good but way too hard
Breathless - Looks great but becomes boring
Fears - Just plain shite. :)
Genetic Species - Awesome when using RTG
Gloom Deluxe - Very good game. Especially with RTG.
Gloom Special Edition 97 - A crap (make a quick buck) cash in
Nemac IV - Never Played this

KombatSanta 11 December 2002 16:50

I voted "other" 'cuse the first FPS I played and wich gave me a new dimension of gameplaying was Hostages, and furthermore I can only remember 3 FPS games I played on my Amiga nemely, Hostages, Robocop3 and Alienbreed 3D

Ian 11 December 2002 16:52

Yes Robocop 3 for me too. It's how every Amiga FPS should have been, because the miggy just can't do that sprite pretending to be 3D shit.

Robocop 3 is actually enjoyable, more than can be said for any of the other bilge that was released.

KombatSanta 11 December 2002 17:07

Quote:

Originally posted by Ian
Yes Robocop 3 for me too. It's how every Amiga FPS should have been, because the miggy just can't do that sprite pretending to be 3D shit.

Robocop 3 is actually enjoyable, more than can be said for any of the other bilge that was released.

I bit to difficult though perhaps

manicx 11 December 2002 17:08

Alien Breed 3d II and Quake are the only true FPS on the Amiga. The others are not real FPS games.

Ian 11 December 2002 17:18

@Kombat

Sure it's tough, but rewarding:)

I never managed to get out of the sewer, but I still enjoy playing it though.

fiath 11 December 2002 17:34

What about Trapped? That was my favourite FPS on the miggy. Very impressive, especially on a Graffiti card...

Steve 11 December 2002 17:36

Wrong

Quote:

Originally posted by manicx
Alien Breed 3d II and Quake are the only true FPS on the Amiga. The others are not real FPS games.
Just because Alien Breed 3D II and Quake are the only true 3D FPS on the Amiga doesn't mean the rest of them aren't proper FPS games. What defines a proper FPS game? Maybe a game where you can shoot things from a first person view. Doom is an FPS game but that's not proper 3D. You're probably referring to the title of the poll. Ok maybe I shouldn't have but "3D" in the title but let's not be pedantic eh. :D

As for Robocop 3. Personally I wouldn't class it as an Amiga FPS game. It's more like Virtua Cop or something like that.

fiath 11 December 2002 17:38

Quote:

Originally posted by manicx
Why is that? Because you can't move up/down? (Doom style only only one y-coord) ?

If so, then there is another, in Trapped you can move up/down AFAIR...

Steve 11 December 2002 17:39

Quote:

Originally posted by fiath
What about Trapped? That was my favourite FPS on the miggy. Very impressive, especially on a Graffiti card...
Damn. I knew I'd forget one. :P I didn't like it very much which is probably why I forgot it. Wasn't there also a Trapped 2?

oldpx 11 December 2002 17:39

Other 3d fps games I know: Testament, Quake, Doom,Heretic, Hexen, Death Mask

I vote for Breathless though.

And yes there is a Trapped 2!

Big-Byte 11 December 2002 17:40

What was that FPS game where you had to chase criminals around and it was set outside? That was good.

And Trex Warrior was fantastic!!

they are both FPS..

fiath 11 December 2002 17:40

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve
Damn. I knew I'd forget one. :P I didn't like it very much which is probably why I forgot it. Wasn't there also a Trapped 2?
Yes, but I didn't ever play that. :)

Steve 11 December 2002 17:41

Quote:

Originally posted by fiath
Why is that? Because you can't move up/down? (Doom style only only one y-coord) ?

If so, then there is another, in Trapped you can move up/down AFAIR...

No. It's because Quake and AB3DII use polygons for the graphics making them true 3D. An FPS game doesn't have to be proper 3D though to make it an FPS game.

Steve 11 December 2002 17:46

Quote:

Originally posted by Burseg
Other 3d fps games I know: Testament, Quake, Doom,Heretic, Hexen, Death Mask

I vote for Breathless though.

And yes there is a Trapped 2!

Testament - DOH!!
Quake - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Doom - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Heretic - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Hexen - PC Port (Not proper Amiga FPS game)
Death Mask - Not a proper FPS. Besides it's shit. If you had to include this you'd have to include stuff like Alcatraz which has a similar level to Death Mask. I considered it for about half a second. :D Does anyone else think Death Mask should of been in the poll?

Right someone own up. Who voted for Fears? :D

LaundroMat 11 December 2002 17:49

AB3D II difficult?

Afaik, I finished the game... But that could very well be because it was one of the few games I actually bought at the time (I know, I know), and that I really wanted value for money.

If it's any consolation, the moment I started earning a bit of cash (holiday jobs and such), I started buying games. Not that I'm looking for an excuse, it's just how it was.

Steve 11 December 2002 17:56

Re: AB3D II difficult?

Quote:

Originally posted by LaundroMat
Afaik, I finished the game... But that could very well be because it was one of the few games I actually bought at the time (I know, I know), and that I really wanted value for money.

If it's any consolation, the moment I started earning a bit of cash (holiday jobs and such), I started buying games. Not that I'm looking for an excuse, it's just how it was.

Compared to the first game it is. The increase in difficulty is just way too steep in that game. Level 1 isn't too bad. But Level 2, the difficulty curve hits 90 degees. Lol. It's unbelievably hard that level. About 10 of those Robots bearing down on you with very few places to run to. You just keep running into more trouble. It's just far too difficult for an early level.

oldpx 11 December 2002 17:59

Some people think AB3d2 is not poop? That's interesting. :D

Ian 11 December 2002 18:09

:lol:laughing:lol

I find it funny that anyone likes any Doom clone. (PERIOD) They all suck. The only good Doom clone is one that doesn't work.

Konrad 11 December 2002 18:10

I voted for Breathless. It has good graphics, good music and it has a relatively fast engine.

Nemac 4 would be 2nd for me. It ran fine on my machine. But it gets boring too fast.

Genetic Species SEEMS to be a fantastic game. But it's way too slow on my system (Amiga 040/25) so It didn't make 1st place for me.