English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinFellow (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Winfellow on Windows Vista (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28554)

NLS 25 January 2008 19:38

Yes you are right.

adolescent 25 January 2008 20:44

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, no problem with WinFellow (using ADF) on Vista here. (I use WinUAE normally but just wanted to test..)

NLS 25 January 2008 22:30

1) Vista as an OS is fine, I find my self liking XP less and less - will be real 1.0 when SP1 comes out, but who cares.

2) I still don't get the point of running winfellow (i.e. a piece of software that looks forgotten even by its author) or a machine that runs Vista (i.e. probably can easily run WinUAE).

Only the second is a question, I don't really care of your opinion on #1 (like probably nobody cares for mine). :)

OddbOd 26 January 2008 18:34

rodi, like adolescent I have also tried WinFellow under Vista and it worked without issue so I suspect the problem is not with the OS itself. Are you absolutely sure the ADFs you are trying to load work properly? Is there anything in fellow.log that could indicate why it is failing?

I ask these things because it is highly suspicious that the emulator runs correctly up to the point of executing the kick rom and then fails to load a disk image.

Mangar 27 January 2008 01:31

Honestly, if you have a computer that can run Vista, you should be running winuae. At this point in time Winfellow has no advantage over winuae other than it runs better on a 7 year old PC. Maybe. :spin

NLS 27 January 2008 09:26

I don't get it really (and the guy never bothered to reply too).

andreas 29 January 2008 21:01

The "guy" could try running WinFellow in compatibility mode. It exists in XP and Vista and pre-SP4 Windows 2000. (yes you got it right, the ugly trick to enable compatibility mode in Win2k does NOT work the known way once SP4 is deployed. It just does nothing.)

wobbly 14 February 2008 13:29

EmuChicken wrote Why should everyone update their software because Microsoft made a new OS- they've got the whole computer world in their mitts!

don't you remember the good old days on amiga going from ecs to aga
its called progress we need to move ford and stop all this backwards compatibility crap if your trying to run software that's over 10 years old i think it's time to update lol
move ford and people will find a way to run it

Anubis 18 February 2008 22:39

It took a whole year to figure out that WinFellow works (I didn't even bother to try it) and after many posts that you should use WinUAE (in WinFellow sub-forum) and Vista discussion (it is hungry OS, regardless what some people tell you - just let them check their page file, memory used etc..)

// goes to find install for WinFellow, now I'm interested if it will work. :cheese

NLS 18 February 2008 23:13

interested or curious? :)

carfesh 19 February 2008 05:34

Hi,

WinFellow works on Windows Vista, as long as you make sure that you have "modify" permissions to the directory it is installed in. Applications aren't supposed to write to the program directory, which is something that may be fixed in a later release.

I was able to run the existing snapshots on Vista quite fine.

woody.cool 08 December 2008 12:36

I've tried WinFellow on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32-bit) and had not problems at all running it, as long as I don't tick the 'Interlace Compensation' option, otherwise it crashes WinFellow.

rodi 15 December 2008 00:20

Now, i have created a dual boot Windows XP - Windows Vista on my PC

I use always Windows XP and of course the emulators of Amiga on it, and I use Vista rarely

Windows XP SP3 is the better system for a PC

haynor666 17 December 2008 08:57

I'm suprise that some people still using WinFellow especially on Vista. It's very easy to use probably not so compatible as WinUAE.

BTW. Is it still in dev.? Last news were from 2005.

TCD 17 December 2008 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by haynor
BTW. Is it still in dev.? Last news were from 2005.

No, it's discontinued. If you have an old computer WinFellow might be a good choice, but on a PC running Vista I can also see no point in not using WinUAE.

haynor666 17 December 2008 09:30

Probably most people have now computer powerfull enough to run even most recent version on WinUAE. Since someone is using WinFellow on Vista I assume he has enough power for WinUAE.;)

Shoonay 17 December 2008 10:57

But isn't that because I use Vista I have enough power to run WinUAE smoothly without having to mess with WinFellow? :cheese

woody.cool 17 December 2008 22:20

I just tried WinFellow on Vista out of curiosity, mainly becauase of this thread!

haynor666 18 December 2008 07:54

I think it's a waste of time.:blased

TCD 18 December 2008 08:22

^ Wut haynor said ;)
Maybe someone can explain us why someone would use WinFellow on a PC running Vista. Even if you don't like the GUI of WinUAE the quickstart window should be okay (and most of the time also enough) for anyone. Okay I'm just curious if someone really uses WinFellow on Vista :D