English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Classic WB P96 PE (programmer's edition)? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22330)

Anubis 14 March 2006 14:27

Classic WB P96 PE (programmer's edition)?

Hi Bloodwich! :)

I wonder if you can create customized ClassicWB setup with programming tools needed for WHDLoad's creation and other programming preinstalled.

BippyM is working on HDF with those tools, and I think that your setup would be great base, as it already has a lot of useful stuff.

Is something like this possible and do you have enough time to make required changes? (For example instead of WHDLoad user, setup will require WHDLoad developer edition etc.)

Thanks! :)

Methanoid 14 March 2006 14:49

Why not gauge interest level before asking BW to do all this work? I reckon about 3 people will want such a custom WB.... (BTW I am NOT one of the three!!!) .. just IMHO and I could be talking out of my arse!

Anubis 14 March 2006 15:38

My bad...

I should have provided the link to other discussion regarding programming setup. :)

It is very hard to find all tools required for some tutorials. ClassicWB setup will ensure we all have same good setup.

I'm not sure about licensing for some stuff, and if we can include tools such as C++ (was it CSOft) or AmosPRO etc.

Anubis 17 March 2006 15:24

Hm, is Bloodwych alive? :)

Hope he did not make any trip anywhere close to NY. :D

Bloodwych 17 March 2006 20:21

I'm Alive! :D Well, barely after the week I've just had but moaning is not for the EAB. :)

Alrighty then, a programmers edition to the ClassicWB? I see from the link that bippy and others were enthusiastic to create such a HDF back in January.

I have no objections to someone creating a programmers edition by editing any of the classicwb packs, especially if it will save people from having to set a HDF up from scratch.

If someone wants to edit the install(s) and provide me with a new HDF, I'll make it distributable and upload it to Rcks server for general download in the classicwb forum. I'll also tidy up the edited HDF and add all necessary programs to the start menu (or create a script that adds them/removes them).

I don't really want to do it myself for reasons Methanoid has already mentioned - its only for a select few and not really part of general users interests. Plus I think people who want this HDF will have a better understanding of what to include than me!

Anubis 17 March 2006 22:02

I have no idea if we can update existing one with WHDLoad develpoer edition. :blased

I will try this weekend to install it over fresh P96 version of Classic WB. If that works, installing of other stuff should be easy.

Thanks m8!

Hope your weekend will be better then the last couple days! :)

Bloodwych 30 June 2006 14:03

Bippy has now got me involved in this little venture and I'll post in that discussion thread Anubis has linked above. Once you guys agree on a base format, I'll update a package and make it available on the classicwb pages for download so all you budding programmers can have fun together.

BippyM 30 June 2006 14:17

Don't make it available until the rest of the progs are installed (See me) and the guides/tutorials/sources are sorted and made easier to access..

Also the ASM packages and resource needs pointing to the includes etc.. though I think an assign on the desktop would be better that way the user can choose which includes they want to use (2, 3.1 etc)

Bloodwych 30 June 2006 14:21

I won't be making anything available until you guys are finished and given the HDF a thunderbirds GO!. ;)

BippyM 30 June 2006 14:49

:D sounds like a plan :D

I was just looking at the ClassicWB packages.. I think functionality is more important than presentation, and also remember that having lots of patches running could cause issues with dev'ing (is it a patch or poor programming that is causing xyz to crash!!)

Bloodwych 30 June 2006 15:20

I agree and that's the whole philosophy behind the ClassicWB! Luckily ClassicWB has very few patches running as that's always been my aim, compatibility, far less extra patches than any other package. Compatibility is near perfect in comparison to a standard install (and I only say near in case some clever clogs proves me wrong) plus it dual boots (via mouse buttons) into a workbench without ANY extra software for testing purposes.

That's why I was surprised you had MCP running in your HDF - that is a huge patch isn't it? Or is it required for something?

Rest assured, classicwb is very clean in it's operation. ;)

BippyM 30 June 2006 18:10

MCP was installed for stringreq which isn't included so it can be removed now..

I want stringreq as it makes life Sooo simple when looking for files and not being able to use a file-req :D

Anubis 30 June 2006 18:56

It is Alive!!!

:laughing :great