English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   No Trash Can on P96 ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47147)

Xeon 30 August 2009 19:58

No Trash Can on P96 ?

I tried out the ClassicWB P96 using WinUAE the last couple of days and have to say its awesome, a great package.I have one question and most probably will make me look like a fool but its driving me crazy and cant solve it doing anything I tried. It has been a while since I been working around the Amiga OS so that also is working against me.My question is: Where is the Trash Can ?I have none on my desktop and cant figure how to put one there. What do I need to do? Thanks

prowler 30 August 2009 20:22

Hi Xeon,

Classic Workbench uses ScalOS Workbench enhancing software. Right click on the desktop. Does a Trashcan option appear in the Show... submenu in the ScalOS menu that pops up?

Edit: If not, there are several Trashcan replacements on Aminet :)
http://aminet.net/search?query=Trashcan

Bloodwych 30 August 2009 20:41

What's happened is I formatted the HDFs as FFS without a trashcan.

If you want a trashcan, you'll have to create a new HDF in WinUAE and format it in Workbench/ClassicWB with the options FFS and trashcan.

Then open Dopus and copy all the files over to the new HDF. Then you'll have a trashcan.

Xeon 31 August 2009 04:11

Thanks for the help ... I did the (copy all the files over to the new HDF) and got my trashcan.... and now looking at the global trashcan files over at Aminet. I tried a couple with not much luck until I found one thats not too bad (MultiTrash) but still looking for a global trashcan utility that works and looks a little better.

Once again thanks for all the help... I appreciate it very much.

Bloodwych 31 August 2009 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeon (Post 590076)
but still looking for a global trashcan utility that works and looks a little better.

Assuming you mean that the trash icon looks like the basic blue Workbench one...

Did you format the HDF in ClassicWB? It will give the trashcan an icon that goes with the Workbench theme, not a standard looking trash icon.

You can still upgrade the icon yourself. Right click and go to icons->update. Drag and drop the trash and new trash icon into the boxes.

Probably is worth checking out some Aminet replacements. The reason I never included the trash icon is that no one ever seems to use it.

prowler 31 August 2009 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych (Post 590115)
The reason I never included the trash icon is that no one ever seems to use it.

Funny that. I use Windows' Recycle Bin and Classic Mac OS's Trashcan all the time. I don't know why it is (and I've only just realized it in reading your comment above), but it has never even occurred to me to use Amiga's Workbench Trashcan, so I don't miss it when it isn't there. :nuts

Xeon 31 August 2009 19:11

Yes, you are correct.. I goofed and did not format in the Classic WB environment and had that blocky trashcan. I did it all over and now have the metal net trashcan that goes along with the rest of the icons. Looks like I better start reacquainting myself with the Amiga environment as everything seems so strange from not using it for quite a number of years and I dont know why but I like having the trashcan... guess its a habit ... lol

Once again thank you ...

AmigaFriend 31 August 2009 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 590266)
so I don't miss it when it isn't there. :nuts

I never used it in 21 years ;).

thomas 31 August 2009 23:11

Why the hell do you format your HDD only to get a trashcan icon ??????????????

Two simple shell commands can create a trashcan anywhere with any name:

makedir destination:dustbin
copy envarc:sys/def_trashcan.info destination:dustbin.info

That's all !

Bloodwych 08 September 2009 10:56

No need to be so condescending in your comment Thomas!

I didn't realize you could add a trashcan function without reformating; never knew all it was is a simple directory. I thought it was a feature of the file system, like when you select directory cache or international mode. I've never given it any thought because I never use it.

My error. :p

thomas 08 September 2009 11:30

Sorry, this shouldn't sound dismissive. I was just so shocked...

Bloodwych 08 September 2009 11:38

We all have our silly moments, especially now many of us are Amiga part timers. You have to be forgiving of our stupidity!! :laughing

DDNI 08 September 2009 14:59

@ Thomas:
Hi, I followed your instructions. Thanks. I now have a Dustbin icon in my SYS:
I cant however drag files into the trashcan or drop icons onto the icon.
To "delete" (send) files to the trashcan, I have to move them using Dopus.
Is there anything else needed to activate the trashcan?

thomas 08 September 2009 15:29

Should work out of the box. What happens if you drag a file onto the trashcan icon or into the window ?

Run IconEdit, load the Dustbin icon and check from the menu if it is of type trashcan.

Make sure that neither the directory nor the icon are write protected. Also make sure that the files you want to delete are not protected against deletion. DOpus might be so "intelligent" that it unprotects files before it tries to move them.

DDNI 08 September 2009 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 592681)
Should work out of the box. What happens if you drag a file onto the trashcan icon or into the window ?

Nothing happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 592681)
Run IconEdit, load the Dustbin icon and check from the menu if it is of type trashcan.

Make sure that neither the directory nor the icon are write protected. Also make sure that the files you want to delete are not protected against deletion. DOpus might be so "intelligent" that it unprotects files before it tries to move them.

The icon is of type TRASHCAN. Right click on trashcan icon gives Empty Trash option.
Files to move are delete-able and not protected.

I run AfA_OS can this cause issues?

thomas 08 September 2009 15:58

AfA causes all kinds of issues.

DDNI 08 September 2009 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 592698)
AfA causes all kinds of issues.

lol

Thomas sometimes your answers are just TOO technical for us Luddites ;)