English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   How to mount FAT32 in Amiga..... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100354)

xboxown 09 January 2020 07:32

How to mount FAT32 in Amiga.....

I have a zip drive that is formatted in fat32. I want to be able to for my Amiga to read it in fat32 but I get unformatted icon instead. I have fat95 in the l drive but I do not have mount script to mount the fat95. Anyone have any idea how to write a mount script for fat32?

dlfrsilver 09 January 2020 07:48

use CFD.lha conjonctly with fat95.lha.

it allows to mount a compact flash formatted in fat32 in your A1200.

solarmon 09 January 2020 09:19

Try this blog post - it doesn't go much in to technical details, but it might give you a hint:

http://www.generationamiga.com/2017/...-on-the-amiga/

Daedalus 09 January 2020 11:20

CFD won't help much with Zip disks... OS 3.9 comes with mountlists that should work fine with other versions too. Just change the line L:CrossDOSFileSystem to L:fat95 and you'll get the Fat95 benefits, e.g. long filename support.

xboxown 09 January 2020 18:57

Thank you guys! I have not had the chance to try it yesterday! When I come from work to home I will try it today. If it works..beautiful! As my intention is to use the zip drive as a bridge between PC and Amiga.

I will keep you guys posted!

xboxown 10 January 2020 06:04

Filesystem: L:fat95
Device = trackdisk.device
Flags = 1
Surface = 2
SectorsPerTrack=9
SectorSize=512
Reserved=1
Interleave=0
LowCyl=0
HighCyl=79
Buffers=5
BufMemType=0
StackSize=600
Priority=10
GlobVec=-1
DOSType=0x4D534400

and still the same symptom. My 750MB Zip Disk DOS fat32 formatted does still show unformatted and jibberish and need to be formatted. If this fails this way, how do I make it appear in WinUAE and format it in WinUAE so I can take it back to my real Amiga? I tried mounting it as a hard drive but it constantly means installing it to that system and losing data so that failed. I tried making it appear as normal disk..but that failed also. Any help?

AMIGASYSTEM 10 January 2020 10:38

This is the Mountlist I use on WinUAE for Pendrive, MemoryCard, ZIP USB of any size FAT16/32, you just need to change the Device and it should work for you too.

If you want the ZIP to be seen normally as a normal Amiga volume, after mounting it on WinUAE I need to initialize it, partition it and format it from HDToolBox, see my video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vvv...tJDFmeEfy/view

Daedalus 10 January 2020 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by xboxown (Post 1370599)
My 750MB Zip Disk DOS fat32 formatted does still show unformatted and jibberish and need to be formatted. If this fails this way, how do I make it appear in WinUAE and format it in WinUAE so I can take it back to my real Amiga? I tried mounting it as a hard drive but it constantly means installing it to that system and losing data so that failed. I tried making it appear as normal disk..but that failed also. Any help?

Hmmm, your mountlist appears to be a CrossDOS mountlist for reading PC floppies on an Amiga floppy drive, which will never work for anything other than a floppy since the geometry is all wrong (as well as the device). What version of Workbench are you using? If you're using or have access to 3.9, just use the included ones. If you're using 3.1.4, it has a separate way of easily reading Zip disks using the Superfloppy feature. I've never used a 750MB drive on the Amiga, but my 100MB drives all work fine with the 3.9 mountlists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1370629)
If you want the ZIP to be seen normally as a normal Amiga volume, after mounting it on WinUAE I need to initialize it, partition it and format it from HDToolBox, see my video:

I would suggest against this. If you set it up correctly, you should be able to read PC formatted Zip disks without formatting them on the Amiga side. If you need to format it on the Amiga, it's no longer a standard format and compatibility with other platforms could be compromised. Additionally, involving HDToolbox shouldn't be done if the intention is to share the drive with other machines (as is the OP's intention), since installing a RDB makes the disk Amiga-specific and non-removable.

AMIGASYSTEM 10 January 2020 13:53

Daedalus I showed the two possibilities with FAT32 the device is shared everywhere on any platform.

If instead on HDToolBox the device is intended to be used only on AMiGA systems. I for example or Pendrive/MemoryCard that I use as HD Bootable on WinUAE to start AfA One or other OS as if they were normal HD Amiga.

Daedalus 10 January 2020 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1370684)
Daedalus I showed the two possibilities with FAT32 the device is shared everywhere on any platform.

If you use HDToolbox to set it up, then the Amiga expects it to be a fixed disk, not removable. That's fine if you want to boot from it as a hard drive, but not if you want to use the disk as a transfer medium between an actual Amiga and a PC. It also calls into question the compatibility of the disk on other systems.

Quote:

If instead on HDToolBox the device is intended to be used only on AMiGA systems. I for example or Pendrive/MemoryCard that I use as HD Bootable on WinUAE to start AfA One or other OS as if they were normal HD Amiga.
That's great for you, but as the OP asked about using it to transfer between an actual Amiga and a PC (probably the main use case), and is not looking to use their Zip drive as a hard drive or boot from it. Suggesting these methods only confuses matters.

@xboxown
Okay, at this point it would be good to know what version of the OS you're using, and in particular, how your Zip drive is attached and what device driver you're using. If you're using a more modern scsi.device, or any other ATAPI-aware driver, it should simply be a matter of setting the device and unit numbers correctly in an appropriate mountlist, though older versions of scsi.device aren't ATAPI aware and won't work properly. Bear in mind that these are often set in the icon's tooltypes, and that takes precedence over any settings in the file itself. Here's my Zip DOSDriver:

Code:

FileSystem      = L:Fat95
Flags          = 0
Surfaces        = 2
BlocksPerTrack  = 64
SectorSize      = 512
Mask            = 0x7ffffffe
MaxTransfer    = 0x0ffffffe
Reserved        = 1
Interleave      = 0
LowCyl          = 0
HighCyl        = 1535
Buffers        = 50
BufMemType      = 0
StackSize      = 2000
Priority        = 10
GlobVec        = -1
DosType        = 0x46415401

And in the icon tooltypes:
Code:

DEVICE=1230scsi.device
UNIT=4
ACTIVATE=1

I've used the same mountlist with both SCSI and IDE/ATAPI Zip drives (adjusting the device and unit accordingly) for almost 20 years now, and never had any issues reading or writing PC-formatted Zip disks.

xboxown 11 January 2020 01:16

Thank you for your reply. When I come home I will try it out. OOH! By the way...I am using this https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...roducts_id=194 to hook my DVD (IDE), my 260 GB mechanical HDD IDE and my zip drive 750 MB IDE and finally the last port is 2.5" IDE Compact flash. I noticed you are using 1230scsi.device there...is this something I will be using too ?

Thanks in advance.

rare_j 11 January 2020 02:47

I used MountDos for zip disks - it does the job of mounting all the msdos partitions it finds on a device automatically. You can get it to list paritions, generate mountlists which you can then save, or just run it and it mounts what it finds. I've used it for zip disks and hard disks connected via ide.
https://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/MountDos12

xboxown 11 January 2020 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1370733)
If you use HDToolbox to set it up, then the Amiga expects it to be a fixed disk, not removable. That's fine if you want to boot from it as a hard drive, but not if you want to use the disk as a transfer medium between an actual Amiga and a PC. It also calls into question the compatibility of the disk on other systems.

That's great for you, but as the OP asked about using it to transfer between an actual Amiga and a PC (probably the main use case), and is not looking to use their Zip drive as a hard drive or boot from it. Suggesting these methods only confuses matters.

@xboxown
Okay, at this point it would be good to know what version of the OS you're using, and in particular, how your Zip drive is attached and what device driver you're using. If you're using a more modern scsi.device, or any other ATAPI-aware driver, it should simply be a matter of setting the device and unit numbers correctly in an appropriate mountlist, though older versions of scsi.device aren't ATAPI aware and won't work properly. Bear in mind that these are often set in the icon's tooltypes, and that takes precedence over any settings in the file itself. Here's my Zip DOSDriver:

Code:

FileSystem      = L:Fat95
Flags          = 0
Surfaces        = 2
BlocksPerTrack  = 64
SectorSize      = 512
Mask            = 0x7ffffffe
MaxTransfer    = 0x0ffffffe
Reserved        = 1
Interleave      = 0
LowCyl          = 0
HighCyl        = 1535
Buffers        = 50
BufMemType      = 0
StackSize      = 2000
Priority        = 10
GlobVec        = -1
DosType        = 0x46415401

And in the icon tooltypes:
Code:

DEVICE=1230scsi.device
UNIT=4
ACTIVATE=1

I've used the same mountlist with both SCSI and IDE/ATAPI Zip drives (adjusting the device and unit accordingly) for almost 20 years now, and never had any issues reading or writing PC-formatted Zip disks.

I figured I try this at WinUAE and if it works migrate it to my real Amiga. Nope. Nothing happened. I have added the zip drive in my WinUAE as a hard drive. I am unsure if this is the reason why it is failing or not.

xboxown 11 January 2020 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 1370862)
I used MountDos for zip disks - it does the job of mounting all the msdos partitions it finds on a device automatically. You can get it to list paritions, generate mountlists which you can then save, or just run it and it mounts what it finds. I've used it for zip disks and hard disks connected via ide.
https://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/MountDos12

Returned with an error.

Unable to open device 'scsi.device', unit 0.

xboxown 11 January 2020 04:17

On the window side I solved it. I was able to format it as fat32 so now winuae looks at it like any normal hard drive or USB stick and I just simply added it as a hard drive by giving device as dh0 and volume name as stuff and F:\ as directory to look for files. No problem. This problem solved.

I used your mount list into my Amiga 500 and still it cannot read it and appear jibberish. Is there like an emulator or something that I can use it to extract files from it into my Amiga desktop? Besides...for the PC side I do not need winuae at all to transfer files...I can just transfer files directly from windows into the zip drive just fine. My issue is in the Amiga side not able to read fat32 formated disk.

AMIGASYSTEM 11 January 2020 07:40

If you have OS 1.3 of A500, the Mount command cannot mount these devices, use the Mount command from OS 3.0 and use my Mountlist adding only your .device.

xboxown 11 January 2020 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by xboxown (Post 1370867)
I figured I try this at WinUAE and if it works migrate it to my real Amiga. Nope. Nothing happened. I have added the zip drive in my WinUAE as a hard drive. I am unsure if this is the reason why it is failing or not.

It worked finally! THANK YOU!!! Now my 750 MB zip drives are literally the best bridge between PC and my Amiga. It is like having a USB memory stick of 750 MB for both my PC ad Amiga - grin - It is worth the purchase!

AMIGASYSTEM 12 January 2020 01:23

You should describe the procedure you have used, maybe in the future it may be useful for some other users. ;)

xboxown 12 January 2020 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1371022)
You should describe the procedure you have used, maybe in the future it may be useful for some other users. ;)

All I did is reinstall the driver for the 4xeidie buffer...it asked me if I want to remake the mountlist for the zip drive, I said yes, it asked me if I want to make mountlist for PC DOS I said yes, it asked me if I wanted to make a mountlist for CD I said yes. boob boob...I modified the mountlist with the one here in forum...and tada!! It can read now DOS. I formatted in windows FAT (default) not FAT32. I have two icons appearing. One is DF5:e<\220M that one I cannot open..but underneath it another icon "Empty" this one it sees it as 688 MB (not 750 MB) I am ok with that...and now I can transfer data between PC and it.

However, I have a lose now. My DVD reader for my A500 no longer works...my A500 can detect it, it can see it...but the DVD can no longer read DVD or CD anymore. Funny, because my Windows laptop DVD reader also died AT THE SAMETIME AS THE Amiga's one. So for my laptop I am using an external DVD player. For the Amiga...I may need to buy another DVD player.

AMIGASYSTEM 12 January 2020 07:46

Thank you, i meant which Mountlist worked!