English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   6 classic Amiga Bitmap Brother's titles coming to GBA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=791)

Burge 20 July 2001 06:41

6 classic Amiga Bitmap Brother's titles coming to GBA

Read this article from IGN for more info:

http://pocket.ign.com/news/36744.html

Pretty good news huh? With announcement like this, it's getting harder and harder not to want to buy a GBA these days. Must, resist, urge...

Burge 20 July 2001 11:55

Get a life.

RCK 20 July 2001 12:14

Here are the first five remakes from the Bitmap Brothers to the GBA. Cause I'm one proud owner of one GBA, I'm very impatient to see how the new version will be done :)

- Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
- The Chaos Engine
- Cadaver
- Gods
- Magic Pocket

Burge 20 July 2001 12:44

I'll be waiting eagerly for your impressions, RCK. :cool

RCK 20 July 2001 14:15

no problem, I'll speak you about all the new version of all those old games on GBA :cool

Twistin'Ghost 21 July 2001 11:32

Heya, s4murai! Thanks for the Boycott link! I have about 60 GBA roms (eww...I hate using that word even when they really are roms!) Maybe this is un-PC or unpopular, but I doubt seriously I am gonna put too much of a strain on their bottom line.

Anyhow, I was unaware of that program, so it was a nice site to discover (since I never have time to read emu news sites.)

Oh, and welcome to EAB...it gets better, trust me!

MosMensk 21 July 2001 11:38

hmm...how much does games for the GBA normally cost?

RCK 22 July 2001 23:53

about GBA emulator, I suggest you DreamGBA instead :http://www.chinaemu.net/dreamgba/, the sound is working well with it !

Quote:

that the people here don't give a f*ck about "newbies".
I'm not agree...
Of course certain basic thread like "where I can find monkey island" are not really help by us. (in general)
But certain reponse like this one are great no ?

"newbies" should always read FAQ, tutorials and annoucement before posting anything.

Twistin'Ghost 23 July 2001 00:06

Hey thanks for the link, RCK. I tried to get there, but they must be having server issues at the moment. On my way out the door for work, so I'll try again when I get home. Plus I have massive downloading to do as there is a CLRMame Pro flood in alt.binaries.emulators.misc, so that should eat up some giggage on my hard drive!

Actually, there's quite a bit of floodage of various systems there if anyone needs to catch up on their collections.

RCK 23 July 2001 00:31

Ho, server problem ?

here is my working version of DreamGBA 1.5, enjoy :)
(the 1.6 is not really better for some issue like sound)

Removed attachment

Twistin'Ghost 23 July 2001 03:40

Thanks again, RCK. Even if I am at work right now, I downloaded it and sent it to my machines, so I have a new toy to play with when I get home!

Amiga1992 23 July 2001 16:27

About these Bitmap games, Speedball looks scaringly close to teh Megadrive version, which is bad news :( And the development team is Crawfish, a team I love to hate for their sub-standard releases (just take a look at Street Fighter Alpha GBC)... It doesnt help that they are making SFA3 for the GBA... Capcom must be nuts.

And, sorry, but GBA emulation is just pish. Even if the machine's hardware gets 100% emulated... how can you compare playing the thing on a pc screen to playing it on the bus while you go to work? I'd say teh cash you spend on a GBA is cash well spent, and if you feel like pirating the hell out of it, dont use an emulator, use a dev unit.

Twistin'Ghost 23 July 2001 19:24

Well, obviously emulation of a handheld isn't going to serve the purpose a handheld was made for (games on the go), but if I played games that way (and I never have time to) I would still want an emulator or some way to try the games before buying them, so they do serve a purpose.

So where does one get a dev unit from?

Amiga1992 23 July 2001 21:09

Samurai put it as a complete 'replacement' of the real thing. As try-before-buy, it's as good as it gets. I have used emulators many times before ploughing the cash on some dubious game.

RCK 23 July 2001 22:15

Okay, his first answer was too short ( Get a GBA-emulator. )
But just after he said "I just wanted to helpful (seriously!)".
So in my mind, he does NOT want to say something like : "Grab a GBA emulator instead of the real thing, and play all these games without paying".
it seems he failled :cool

Amiga1992 23 July 2001 22:18

Quote:

Burge wrote:

it's getting harder and harder not to want to buy a GBA these days
Quote:

s4murai wrote:

Get a GBA-emulator
really..

Amiga1992 23 July 2001 22:41

Aye, dont get so personal, even from the second message you post. I just tried to delete my message, I misunderstood what you wrote, ok?

Twistin'Ghost 24 July 2001 05:32

I'm still paying my penance for all of those Amiga games I pirated and spread for so many years by buying all I can get my hands on. Not that it helps the developers now, but even if I'd bought the games back then, most of what I have read from oldschool Amiga games programmers, they were ripped off brutally by the publishers, so the publishing houses got what they deserved via piracy. Nature has a built in karma system.

Likewise, record companies have been ripping off consumers and artists for so long, they truly deserve the knee to the groin that mp3's have given them. I could write a thesis on this record company thing, but I'll spare y'all. Book publishing is the same way. Software companies are the newbies on the block as far as ripping off consumers and creators, but they are aggressive enough to deserve everything they get in the name of lost revenue.

It's a controversial standpoint, but I stand by it. I could never sympathize with corporate zombies like M$, Nintendo, Sony, etc. They will always have way more than their share.

Amiga1992 25 July 2001 21:01

when I was a kid I only knew about piracy. To me, that was the only way of getting games, because around here tehre was no sign of originals. When I grew up and found out how it all worked, I started feeling quite guilty. I think that's why now I mainly try to get originals and not pirate anything. If the game and machine are worth, I support them. Case in point, the GBA. It's a great machine which deserves quite some support, though Nintendo is a company I NEVER liked. This is teh first intendo hardware I ever owned. The reason why I got it is because this little machine is the saviour of 2D gaming :)

Anyway, I tried to support SNK with their NeoGeo Pocket Color too, but they decided to go bankrupt :(

Fred the Fop 28 July 2001 06:59

For those who love the retro-yet-nowness of it, this is THE BEST place to get Game Boy Color ROMZ (heehee):laugh

http://www.jocosoft.com/gameboy/list.php