English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.CD32 Conversion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   CD32Load (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81114)

jotd 28 December 2015 01:05

CD32Load
 
Hi all,

Got a nice gift for you in the zone: cd32load.zip

A CD32-designed program which understands whdload slaves and loads its data from CD drive (goodbye OS flashes!!)

There are a lot of bugs & limitations but worth a shot for the ones which work (tested only on winuae)

Howto:
- install "cd32load" in C subdir of the CD
- copy your whdload installs in directories: make sure that no file is XPK packed!
- ATM only games with diskfiles have a chance to work, and avoid "data" subdirs as it does not work

Working games tested so far (and fully playable without extra keys):

- Assassin
- Pang
- Magic Pockets
- Addams Family

example: cd32load CD0:assassin/assassin.slave CUSTOM1=1
(ATM you need to hardcode CD0, but I'll fix this)

Features:
- CUSTOMx tooltypes supported, BUTTONWAIT, PAL, NTSC
- can run multi-disk 1Meg games without flashes (Assassin)
- simple quit key by CD32 reset :)

Bugs/todo:
- A LOT of games won't work. First, if JST whdload emulation does not work, it won't work here either
- implement Tony pad 2 keyboard routine to emulate keyboard from CD32 pad, with generic assignment of "pause" to P, "blue" to "space" and configurable.
- fix "DATA" tooltype which does not work
- better error handling
- ...

enjoy!

Retro1234 28 December 2015 01:28

anychance of this working on non CD32 i.e A1200 but wow very intresting and :bowdown
Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1058409)
Hi all,

Got a nice gift for you in the zone: cd32load.zip

A CD32-designed program which understands whdload slaves and loads its data from CD drive (goodbye OS flashes!!)

There are a lot of bugs & limitations but worth a shot for the ones which work (tested only on winuae)

Howto:
- install "cd32load" in C subdir of the CD
- copy your whdload installs in directories: make sure that no file is XPK packed!
- ATM only games with diskfiles have a chance to work, and avoid "data" subdirs as it does not work

Working games tested so far (and fully playable without extra keys):

- Assassin
- Pang
- Magic Pockets
- Addams Family

example: cd32load CD0:assassin/assassin.slave CUSTOM1=1
(ATM you need to hardcode CD0, but I'll fix this)

Features:
- CUSTOMx tooltypes supported, BUTTONWAIT, PAL, NTSC
- can run multi-disk 1Meg games without flashes (Assassin)
- simple quit key by CD32 reset :)

Bugs/todo:
- A LOT of games won't work. First, if JST whdload emulation does not work, it won't work here either
- implement Tony pad 2 keyboard routine to emulate keyboard from CD32 pad, with generic assignment of "pause" to P, "blue" to "space" and configurable.
- fix "DATA" tooltype which does not work
- better error handling
- ...

enjoy!


earok 28 December 2015 03:03

Holy hell JOTD, that sounds promising. I've tested under emulation and these were the results:

- Chaos Engine 2 OCS (Edit: No issues! I didn't read the instructions properly...)
- Goal! (Hangs at rainbow screen?)
- Jaguar XJ220 (No issues!)
- James Pond Aquatic Games (Reboots during startup)
- Kick Off 2 Final Whistle Competition Version (Hangs at title?)
- Robocop 3 (No issues under emulation)
- Prime Mover (Crashes during load)

However everything seems to crash on a real CD32 with a red screen for me. (Edit: I had a red screen on the emulator once, and now Robocop 3 and Jaguar XJ220 seems to be working for me on my real console. Bizarre, I'm not sure what I did to trigger the red screens..)

Akira 28 December 2015 03:44

Looking forward to development on this, Jotd!!

jotd 28 December 2015 09:33

I was going to add "wait a little before trying it on a real console" :)... Glad if it works "sometimes" on a real console (be sure to use ISOCD, not MasterISO, as the cd code requires a given CD structure that MasterISO does not seem to provide).

Well, the red screen comes from my proggy. I think it's related to a read/checksum error.

I have noticed that James Pond loader retries 2 times on an error. My program doesn't. I should add this too. the fact that it works better on the emulator is logical, then.

As I said it's a very early version but since I put it up in 2 days and made it working yesterday at 23:30, I couldn't resist to share immediately :)

Do not try "kickemu" games, won't work. Better to add assigns/nocache/crack and see if they work

@booboo: why do you need this on a real A1200? You mean vanilla? you mean reading from HDD without OSswaps?

BTW earok is there a brand of CD-RW that work with the real console?

earok 28 December 2015 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1058437)
I was going to add "wait a little before trying it on a real console" :)... Glad if it works "sometimes" on a real console (be sure to use ISOCD, not MasterISO, as the cd code requires a given CD structure that MasterISO does not seem to provide).

Well, the red screen comes from my proggy. I think it's related to a read/checksum error.

I have noticed that James Pond loader retries 2 times on an error. My program doesn't. I should add this too. the fact that it works better on the emulator is logical, then.

As I said it's a very early version but since I put it up in 2 days and made it working yesterday at 23:30, I couldn't resist to share immediately :)

Ah I see, we'll it's already showing a great deal of potential ;) crashes on real console seem to be random, about 50% it'll be a red screen and 50% it'll run just fine. Had a quick go at Robocop 3 and Chaos Engine 2 on real CD32, no issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1058437)
BTW earok is there a brand of CD-RW that work with the real console?

I'm sorry I don't know! I've only ever tried CD-Rs.

Toni Wilen 28 December 2015 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1058437)
I have noticed that James Pond loader retries 2 times on an error.

Not sure if this is same problem but some RNC loader games randomly send invalid command bytes to CD controller (at least checksum field is bad), controller returns error and loader retries it with correct command.

I think there is bug in RNC loader (at least some versions?) when command buffer wraps around (it is 256 byte aligned 256 byte size circular buffer that Akiko DMAs to controller) and it forgets to handle buffer wrapping correctly or something like that.

Retro1234 28 December 2015 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1058437)

@booboo: why do you need this on a real A1200? You mean vanilla? you mean reading from HDD without OSswaps?

Yes please (if possible) especially with the keyboard emulation.

jotd 28 December 2015 13:32

@Boo boo: I think the keyboard emulation could be added to whdload/whdloadCD32 as well. I'll ask Bert if he plans to add it.
The IO system seems to be able to read from DF0: and DH0: too !
Was probably useful when developping the games, so maybe it would be possible on real A1200.
HRTMon was also able to do it, with a basic IDE HDD, so should work on vanilla A1200 with HDD, not with sophisticated HDDs.

@Tony: I see the buffer (ends by "DOSIO") in the code. Do you have a quickfix for this? I have the resourced code.
Tony, what IDE setting should I try with WinUAE to have a chance to read from DH0: like a vanilla 1200?

Retro1234 28 December 2015 13:41

Thank you for your reply if Wepl not planning on adding this could you consider doing a special jst version.

Toni Wilen 28 December 2015 13:45

Quote:

@Tony: I see the buffer (ends by "DOSIO") in the code. Do you have a quickfix for this? I have the resourced code.
I am not sure if I'll bother with it, there is not even guarantee this version has it. I'll check the code someday..

Quote:

Tony, what IDE setting should I try with WinUAE to have a chance to read from DH0: like a vanilla 1200?
Mount HDF as IDE0 (and make sure you have A1200 mainboard hardware = chipset extra = A1200 and A1200 ROM)

Quote:

The IO system seems to be able to read from DF0: and DH0: too
IMO This sounds dangerous.. This driver/filesystem probably has size limits, only understand FFS\1 (in worst case assumes it), make sure writing is not possible in any downloadable versions :)

jotd 28 December 2015 15:25

thanks for the info Toni. You're right the HD0 feature is really limited. My code would never try to write on it (only using the read commands), unless something goes wrong in the game and corrupts the HD code and calls it...

About joypad =>key emu: I'll try to create some adaptable code, that would be useable from JST or CD32LOAD, and give it to Bert.
But holidays are almost over for me now. Not sure I'll have time for this.

jotd 29 December 2015 01:24

cd32load update in the zone. Working games:

- Assassin
- Agony
- Pang
- Magic Pockets
- Addams Family
- Jaguar XJ220
- Robocop 3
- Desert Strike
- First Samurai
- Lotus 2
- Chuck Rock
- Chuck Rock 2
- Goal! (cannot save of course!)
- James Pond
- QWAK
- Kick Off 2 (cannot save of course!)
- Full Contact
- Xenon 2
- Jungle Strike
- Supercars 2
- Superfrog
- Chaos Engine 2 OCS (needs keyboard)
- Zool (AmigaFun)
- Z-out (needs keyboard)

Galahad/FLT 29 December 2015 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1058606)
cd32load update in the zone. Working games:

- Assassin
- Agony
- Pang
- Magic Pockets
- Addams Family
- Jaguar XJ220
- Robocop 3
- Desert Strike
- First Samurai
- Lotus 2
- Chuck Rock
- Chuck Rock 2
- Goal! (cannot save of course!)
- James Pond
- QWAK
- Kick Off 2 (cannot save of course!)
- Full Contact
- Xenon 2
- Jungle Strike
- Supercars 2
- Superfrog
- Chaos Engine 2 OCS (needs keyboard)
- Zool (AmigaFun)
- Z-out (needs keyboard)

Nice job :great

I've done Gods by the way, fully loading and working including intro and full game in 2 meg of chip ram on CD32 with CD32 controls.

earok 29 December 2015 05:34

Cheers JOTD, I'll check it out. Is this update likely to resolve red screen issues? Also is it ok to include in cd32.co.uk releases (even if we advertise it as a beta version) or should we hold off?

jotd 29 December 2015 08:18

@Galahad: I'm interested by GODS. Cannot "emulate" whd on that game ATM.
@earok: yes the red screen issues should be fixed. Of course you can include the games in your releases, even if the "joypad=>keys" feature is missing. On some games it is not a problem either because it does not really need extra controls or because whdload slave already supports it.

earok 29 December 2015 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1058639)
@earok: yes the red screen issues should be fixed. Of course you can include the games in your releases, even if the "joypad=>keys" feature is missing. On some games it is not a problem either because it does not really need extra controls or because whdload slave already supports it.

Thanks JOTD, though I've given it a go with Goal and it still doesn't move beyond the rainbow screen? I've used the 1.0 install from whdownload.com.

I have a list of ridiculous requests, if it's possible to implement any of them in CD32LOAD (I understand they might be too complicated) they'd be hugely appreciated.

1. Combination control mapping. Say, pressing GREEN+YELLOW to activate a key. Some CD32 simulators do this in order to have more than seven functions on the pad.
2. Gamepad to gamepad mapping. Say, map UP to BLUE for platform and racing games.
3. Combination gamepad to gamepad mapping. Say, if DOWN+RED could be mapped to BLUE we'd have a dynamite button on Rick Dangerous. Might also be cool for fighting games, to get something more like arcade accurate controls on the seven button pad.
4. Mouse emulation, perhaps using the "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE" hack in the CD32 ROM?
5. Save to NVRAM. Actually just saving to RAM: would be more than enough, as files can be loaded/saved to NVRAM using an external tool (like what Cobe and I did with Lemmings 2, Tiny Troops etc)
6. Handle 2MB required games. Mostly AGA but not all (eg Primal Rage).

FOL 29 December 2015 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1058647)
Thanks JOTD, though I've given it a go with Goal and it still doesn't move beyond the rainbow screen? I've used the 1.0 install from whdownload.com.

I have a list of ridiculous requests, if it's possible to implement any of them in CD32LOAD (I understand they might be too complicated) they'd be hugely appreciated.

1. Combination control mapping. Say, pressing GREEN+YELLOW to activate a key. Some CD32 simulators do this in order to have more than seven functions on the pad.
2. Gamepad to gamepad mapping. Say, map UP to BLUE for platform and racing games.
3. Combination gamepad to gamepad mapping. Say, if DOWN+RED could be mapped to BLUE we'd have a dynamite button on Rick Dangerous. Might also be cool for fighting games, to get something more like arcade accurate controls on the seven button pad.
4. Mouse emulation, perhaps using the "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE" hack in the CD32 ROM?
5. Save to NVRAM. Actually just saving to RAM: would be more than enough, as files can be loaded/saved to NVRAM using an external tool (like what Cobe and I did with Lemmings 2, Tiny Troops etc)
6. Handle 2MB required games. Mostly AGA but not all (eg Primal Rage).


1. yep, that would be cool, means you can have 11 x 10 button combinations. That would be insane, :).

2. Again another cool idea, find out how it does it.

Gzegzolka 29 December 2015 14:59

I like Erok ideas, they are good ones.

Toni Wilen 29 December 2015 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1058647)
4. Mouse emulation, perhaps using the "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE" hack in the CD32 ROM?

That won't work but mouse counters are writable (JOYTEST) so hardware mouse "emulation" is possible. (It can't be 100% perfect because low 2 bits are not writable but should work quite nicely)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.08298 seconds with 11 queries