English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Multiple Amiga's in one case (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99578)

lesta_smsc 09 November 2019 00:54

Multiple Amiga's in one case

Hello all!

Just a thought, may be someone has already done this, but has anyone tried to combine several Amiga's into one base unit/case/custom 3D printed thingy etc?

The idea I have is having a tier system in order of how they would be 'stacked':

A3000
A1200
A600
A500

Would this be possible utilising a form of 'KVM' to enable one set of keyboard/mouse to control all of these machines and a selector switch to choose which Amiga to boot? The PSU may require some work, but effectively using a modern PSU to connect the relevant voltages individually to the Amiga's (in parallel so they all have their 'own circuit' so that one PSU can potentially be used to power any of them).

This may be just be wishful thinking, but I like to think of it as how Amstrad Mega PC combined a PC and Mega Drive in one unit.

Your thoughts welcome, and pictures too if you have already embarked on achieving this!

Lesta_SMSC

Jope 09 November 2019 09:14

3d printing probably can be used for some small parts, but the case itself would have to be totally custom.

A mechanical KVM can easily switch between all of these. One of those four printers in one things with custom cables could be a reasonable choice if you use 15kHz video.

What would you do with such a computer though? The A3000 is already in a nice stackable case. The wedge machines could be recased into some rack cases or something like that.

trixster 09 November 2019 09:21

It’s not several amigas in one case... but with a bridge board you can have an Amiga and a pc in one case, and with shapeshifter a mac too.

This is what I do with my 3000.

But I’m not sure I see the point in more than one Amiga in a single case. What would you do with them at the same time?

Solo Kazuki 09 November 2019 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesta_smsc (Post 1357664)
Hello all!

Just a thought, may be someone has already done this, but has anyone tried to combine several Amiga's into one base unit/case/custom 3D printed thingy etc?

The idea I have is having a tier system in order of how they would be 'stacked':

A3000
A1200
A600
A500

Would this be possible utilising a form of 'KVM' to enable one set of keyboard/mouse to control all of these machines and a selector switch to choose which Amiga to boot? The PSU may require some work, but effectively using a modern PSU to connect the relevant voltages individually to the Amiga's (in parallel so they all have their 'own circuit' so that one PSU can potentially be used to power any of them).

This may be just be wishful thinking, but I like to think of it as how Amstrad Mega PC combined a PC and Mega Drive in one unit.

Your thoughts welcome, and pictures too if you have already embarked on achieving this!

Lesta_SMSC

Actually A1200 with CPU card and FastRAM alone is enough, for what reason You need multiple mainboards?

Eventually for some compatibility issues A500, but what gives You rest? With proper A1200 configuration (with HDD) it will ends earlier or later with using only A1200 config.

Predseda 09 November 2019 13:55

Yes, I have solved that. It is named : WinUAE.

lesta_smsc 09 November 2019 14:51

In terms of why have lots of Amigas. I would prefer the original hardware not having to play via compatibility of patches. Hence WinUAE akin to having RetroPi, not for this project lol.

It's just a thought and yes it would be machines out of their original cases rather than stacking each one. Hence, motherboard stacking.

It's just an idea... :)

voyager_1701e 10 November 2019 01:32

I was intending to try stuff an A500 and an A1222 together into the new Checkmate case. Seeing the A1222 is a unicorn, it'll just be a pipe dream

But multiple Amiga's in one case is a cool idea. And some ask why.....because you can (try) :)

If you manage any example make sure you show us...good luck!