English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   OT - Technical (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Why do people cling for life with Windows Phone? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=95976)

Pyromania 21 January 2019 03:37

Why do people cling for life with Windows Phone?

I was never a fan of Windows Phone, just my opinion. But now even Microsoft says it's very dead. Why do people still cling to it for dear life? See the comments in the thread below.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...e-is-dead-dead

I can understand why people enjoy Windows on the Desktop for sure. But love affairs with Windows Phone I'll never understand. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

gimbal 21 January 2019 11:24

Giving up the Windows phone at this point will mean that you will have to choose something popular as a replacement.

Pyromania 23 January 2019 04:00

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...rosoft_wallet/

Hewitson 23 January 2019 04:42

Why do people use any version of Windows?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania
I can understand why people enjoy Windows on the Desktop for sure.

You must be a much smarter man than me then. I can't understand why anyone would want a slow, bloated, vulnerable, dumbed-down piece of unusable shit on their computer at all.

jmmijo 23 January 2019 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1299551)
Why do people use any version of Windows?

You must be a much smarter man than me then. I can't understand why anyone would want a slow, bloated, vulnerable, dumbed-down piece of unusable shit on their computer at all.

Have you seen my Steam Game Library :spin

Hewitson 23 January 2019 05:24

Well yes, it does unfortunately have a place on any gaming PC. But no one in their right mind would use it for any other purpose. I can't believe people actually run servers on it!

jmmijo 23 January 2019 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1299564)
Well yes, it does unfortunately have a place on any gaming PC. But no one in their right mind would use it for any other purpose. I can't believe people actually run servers on it!

I can understand that however, the UMS Java Servlet runs great on many versions of Windows as a DLNA Server :spin

Also I run some encoder apps and some VM's too all at the same time on my new Windows Workstation Beast.

Daedalus 23 January 2019 16:18

There are plenty of other reasons to use Windows. Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I'm going to make my life more difficult in order to use the tools that I need to use. Gaming is just one aspect, but if you're any way serious about photography for example, Linux is out the window straight away, leaving Windows and Mac. If you want to play the occasional game *and* work on the occasional photo, that means you either put up with Windows for both, or shell out on a second, more expensive high-end machine for doing your other stuff.

There are different levels of these things, I certainly don't enjoy using Windows. But it's a tool, a means to an end, and I do want it for the versatility it offers me as a tool.

As for the original topic, it was certainly a different approach to the mobile world, and as such will have appealed to many people. I wasn't a fan myself, but I do know people who love how it worked. Personally, I always preferred my Nokia N9 to Windows, iOS and Android, and now use its continuation Sailfish as my mobile OS of choice. That's something I'd cling to, and be very sad about having to leave behind for iOS or Android.

Hewitson 23 January 2019 21:55

Running a home DLNA server is one thing. Running a server that is on the internet and expected to be up and running 24/7 is another.

Although I'm a Mac fan boy I disagree about Linux being useless for photography. GIMP is a very good open source alternative to Photoshop.

Daedalus 23 January 2019 22:19

Meh. GIMP is alright if you're stuck and learn to put up with the poor UX design choices that tend to plague FOSS. But the problems with photography under Linux aren't as simple as not having Photoshop (which works ok under WINE, by the way). Basically, it's close to impossible to have a colour-controlled workflow - monitor profiling is hit-and-miss, with poor support for colorimeters, and if you profile under Windows, those profiles aren't always supported properly by the Linux drivers, and sometimes involve extensive faff with configuration files. Then, it appears that applications have no way of knowing (or simply don't bother checking) if a profile is already active on the display output, resulting in profiles being applied twice if you're not careful. Most software simply ignores colour accuracy altogether, so you never know if what you're looking at is real or not.

Scanner support is a similar state, and printer support is pretty awful too, with very few printers having drivers from their manufacturers, and FOSS drivers having the same issues as the rest of the workflow when it comes to colour calibration, with poor and incomplete calibration support, and even if they do support calibration, it's useless because they don't support any more advanced printers so the colours aren't applied correctly anyway. Printing under Linux is fine for printing off a boarding pass or an essay for school, but useless for any serious application.

malko 23 January 2019 22:57

deepl.com translation (original here (this time, no time to scan))

Quote:

Microsoft invites you to switch to iOS or Android

As of December 10, the company will no longer offer security updates for its Windows 10 Mobile system.

A mistake?

The curtain will definitely lower on the Windows 10 Mobile platform. Microsoft has announced on its support page that it will stop security updates as of December 10. The American giant, which has thrown in the towel, is now officially advising its customers to use a competitive smartphone: "With the end of Windows 10 Mobile OS support, we recommend customers switch to an Android or iOS device," the company writes.

This deadline does not mean that mobile devices running on Microsoft's mobile operating system will stop working. They will simply no longer be supported and therefore will no longer be able to receive security updates. Microsoft specifies that only devices eligible for version 1709 of Windows 10 Mobile will receive technical support until December 10. For the Lumia 640 and 640 XL, whose 1703 version was the last compatible, support will stop six months earlier, on June 11, 2019.

However, Microsoft is not drawing a line on mobility and will focus on developing its apps for iOS and Android, such as those in the Office 365 suite. "Microsoft's mission, which is to empower every person and organization on the planet to do more, requires us to support our mobile applications on these platforms and devices," the company explains. (man)

Hewitson 26 January 2019 08:50

Shame they don't recommend switching to macOS as well.

Agilent 26 January 2019 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania (Post 1299126)
I was never a fan of Windows Phone, just my opinion. But now even Microsoft says it's very dead. Why do people still cling to it for dear life? See the comments in the thread below.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...e-is-dead-dead

I can understand why people enjoy Windows on the Desktop for sure. But love affairs with Windows Phone I'll never understand. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Because Google/Android is the most evil company in the world.
Apple have NO clue on making hardware and NO clue on service, they fuck up anyting they touch.
Windows Phone is last resort, and works okish.

Ian 26 January 2019 19:57

Thurrot is a microsoft shill and his site obviously attract MS fanboys of all shapes and sizes.

It's like someone posting a news article here telling us the Amiga is DEAD, DEAD :lol

There was a time when the Windows phone was actually good, probably better than Android, but it last for about 3 months.

BarryB 31 January 2019 01:47

Jesus, i'm still on Symbian FFS!!

haps 31 January 2019 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1301356)
Jesus, i'm still on Symbian FFS!!

I still use tin cans connected by lengths of string.

nexus 01 February 2019 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by haps (Post 1301606)
I still use tin cans connected by lengths of string.

spoiled i have to rub sticks together just to start a fire to make smoke signals

Photon 08 February 2019 15:30

Cos they liked them? Phones have been stale for 4 years adding only trivia, so not much in it. I guess Windows Phones added some Office device connectivity.

This thread is deliciously ironic, BTW. :)

gimbal 13 February 2019 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 1303354)
Cos they liked them? Phones have been stale for 4 years adding only trivia, so not much in it. I guess Windows Phones added some Office device connectivity.

This thread is deliciously ironic, BTW. :)

That's true. There isn't much more to the phone UI than displaying a grid of icons and maybe a clock :) The only improvement I find in my current phone is the fingerprint reader.

Photon 14 February 2019 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1304484)
That's true. There isn't much more to the phone UI than displaying a grid of icons and maybe a clock :) The only improvement I find in my current phone is the fingerprint reader.

It could also be that they like them because they lack things :)
  1. No physical button so you can't answer a call without looking at the screen to know which way to swipe this year...
  2. No headphone jack, so you have to pay 200 EUR to connect headphones
  3. Dumb screen all the way to the edges so you can't pick it up without triggering touch...
  4. Dumb notch destroying the 10+ years old navigation bar paradigm in all apps...
  5. Dumb beveled glass edges prohibiting getting a protective shell, and making the phone like a slippery bar of soap...
  6. Dumb proprietary chips to make simple cables expensive (this would be Apple-only, so far)...
  7. Dumb, thin phones with no room for heat expansion or batteries that last...
  8. Dumb, thin phones with a camera bump...
  9. Phones not usable as phones cos thinness makes it the lowest priority to place the antenna and speaker/mike where real phone companies have put them for decades and instead relying on software to cancel feedback and noise...
Lots of reasons to <3 a 2015 phone, whatever the brand :)

Xperia, Huawei, Honor, Xiaomi, Motorola... Moto G7 looks mighty good @ 168 EUR if your 2015 phone broke. If it didn't, maybe... cling to it? ;)

Cos unless someone obsoleted your phone for non-technical reasons, a new one is unlikely to warrant a purchase.