English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hardware & Software (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53220)

Dagger 08 June 2010 12:28

Hardware & Software

Need help with a few things please.

I have an external CDrom running through the pcmcia slot. Can I have my CF0 driver and CD0 driver both loaded together on startup in the DOSDrivers folder?

If you have an internal CDrom fitted with no HD would any drivers be required?

My cdtv has once again stopped reading any disc even though I have used a cdrom cleaner, how hard is it to strip the machine and get access to the cdrom so that I can clean the lens manually?

Many thanks in advance :bowdown

fitzsteve 08 June 2010 16:47

for your first question yes you can have both drivers as I have them on my A1200 desktop both in the devs/dosdrivers so they mount on startup. Sorry I cant help with the others but I an sure some one who can will be along soon :)

Zetr0 08 June 2010 17:05

Hiyas Dagger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagger (Post 675961)
Need help with a few things please.

I have an external CDrom running through the pcmcia slot. Can I have my CF0 driver and CD0 driver both loaded together on startup in the DOSDrivers folder?

Steve has you covered on this =)

Quote:

If you have an internal CDrom fitted with no HD would any drivers be required?

Unless you have a modified Kickstart ROM this is not going to work, Its a little involved, you will need access to Hex editor, Kickstart ROM files, a program called remus and the required modules to allow booting from CDROM ... oh and a EPROM burner.

yeah... its a little involved, if this is somthing that interests you and you would like to know more have a chat with RedSkull and Doobrey.

Quote:

My cdtv has once again stopped reading any disc even though I have used a cdrom cleaner, how hard is it to strip the machine and get access to the cdrom so that I can clean the lens manually?

Many thanks in advance :bowdown

Hmm, this can go either way I am afraid to say, by cleaning the lens you can mis-align it, once that happens its next to impossible to get back working.

On the other hand it could work or infact be mis-alligned.

I had some ideas for the CDTV Rom mechanism, perhaps replacing it with an ATAPI IDE mechanism and PCB board. But I need some more time to formalze the idea lol.

In the mean time, cleaning the lens physically = damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Dagger 08 June 2010 18:16

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated. As for the cdtv seems nothing ventured nothing gained.

rkauer 08 June 2010 21:20

Pending on the controller you have for the CD-ROM, it will work or not.

Squirrel SCSI is very jealous of the use of the PCMCIA port. Other controllers doesn't have this type of issue (Archos Overdrive, for example).