English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yet another Atari ST port: Enduro Racer (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74604)

StingRay 04 August 2014 16:09

Yet another Atari ST port: Enduro Racer

Since some people requested an Enduro Racer port (see this thread for example) I have started porting the game to the Amiga just for fun.

Here's a video of the first early version running on Amiga:Enduro Racer Amiga port

What you see is the result of 3 days of work, the game is working but there are still quite a few things to do of course (timing, displaying the menu, music/sfx etc.). A final version should be available in a while! :)

P.S.: Should someone need the original ST version adapted to run from HD just let me know, I have removed all direct disk access/protection routines so it runs fine from HD. :)

Galahad/FLT 04 August 2014 16:36

Good progress. I think copper backdrop and maybe copper flooring would set it off nicely :)

Retro-Nerd 04 August 2014 17:14

Really good, Stingray. I'm looking forward to the final version. :great

tolkien 04 August 2014 17:16

I love this game. Its fantastic to see all these games in the Amiga. Thanks mates!

fryguy 04 August 2014 17:20

w00t!

dlfrsilver 04 August 2014 17:37

the speed is just incredible, what a feat !!!

s2325 04 August 2014 17:41

No one complained it's not Master System version? :)

stainy 04 August 2014 17:52

I guess the sound will slow it down some?

stainy 04 August 2014 17:52

I'm liking all these ports.. Is this the 'IN' thing now? ;)

Crown 04 August 2014 17:52

This is like Christmas in summer! How much longer do you expect it to take?

I hope that we will also have a trainer. ;)

fryguy 04 August 2014 18:00

The C64 music was awesome :)
Just add PlaySID in Enduro Racer for Amiga :)

Lonewolf10 04 August 2014 19:07

I have played Enduro Racer before years ago (last 80s/early 90s). Not sure if I have it on the Spectrum or whether I played the arcade version. Either way, I'm looking forward to this port :)

Asman 04 August 2014 19:32

Amazing work and speed. With that speed we will have all good exclusive st games very soon ;)

StingRay 04 August 2014 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainy (Post 967708)
I guess the sound will slow it down some?

Not too much as I will use standard Protracker modules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown (Post 967710)
This is like Christmas in summer! How much longer do you expect it to take?

There's still quite a bit to do as written in the first post. For now the plan is to have the game fully working which means I will have to recode all the menu stuff as the original ST game uses GEMDOS routines for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown (Post 967710)
I hope that we will also have a trainer. ;)

Of course, plus some other goodies as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryguy (Post 967711)
The C64 music was awesome :)
Just add PlaySID in Enduro Racer for Amiga :)

Yes, the C64 music is awesome indeed but I'll not use SID tunes in the Amiga version as emulating the SID is quite an CPU intensive task. Instead, I will use faithful renditions of the SID tunes in Protracker format. :)

quahappy 04 August 2014 20:59

Crikey! Another game I played back in the day on the Speccy and converted for Atari ST and not the Amiga - sods! Up till now that is.

Cheers, StingRay and I sincerely hope all comes together nicely. :D

All these great ports/conversions (in progress/complete) recently makes me wonder if it's worth having it's own forum section... just a thought lol. ;)

dlfrsilver 04 August 2014 21:38

1 Attachment(s)
here is a little gift :)

fryguy 04 August 2014 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 967746)
Yes, the C64 music is awesome indeed but I'll not use SID tunes in the Amiga version as emulating the SID is quite an CPU intensive task. Instead, I will use faithful renditions of the SID tunes in Protracker format. :)

I was just kidding of course :)

leathered 05 August 2014 00:21

Incredible speed; I was watching the ST version a few days ago which is far choppier by comparison. Playing your vid at .5 was more like a playable speed and even then the vid was still pretty smooth, hopefully the real thing would be even smoother – which is just awesome.
Obviously the key to a smooth game is a high frame rate + low(ish) pixel increments. I guess a lot of how smooth this turns out will be down to how much of an update the ST version does to achieve the illusion of speed – unless you can change that? I don't think it will be a problem though as it seems to me the ST version wasn't so bad already, and at least doubling it surely wouldn't hurt ;)

I think that the ST title screen looks more like on old 60's dirt bike, and that goes for the game sprites also. Maybe the gfx artist had some nostalgia for old bikes. You wouldn't get so much 'air' on the jumps with those =)
Looking forward.

Galahad/FLT 05 August 2014 00:52

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, and i'm sure Stingray will correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm guessing Stingray is running his conversion on hardware greater than 68000.

Speed improvements and optimization will come later, but its not going to be that fast on a plain 68000 A500.

turrican3 05 August 2014 04:06

thanks stingray, just amazing.:great
Can't wait to test the final version. ;)