English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Golden Axe conversion (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100301)

sandruzzo 05 January 2020 10:41

Golden Axe conversion

I've allways thought that Amigas' was far good, but after seen ST version, I call tell, they could have done a lot better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNDk9WBFLGA

Hewitson 05 January 2020 10:53

Surely you're not suggesting the ST version is better than the Amiga version?

Look how small the game screen is, and the framerate is even worse than Amiga. They're both terrible conversions, borderline unplayable in my opinion.

sandruzzo 05 January 2020 10:56

@Hewitson

I'm not suggesting that.What I'm seeing is that Amiga port was made directly from St version...:bash

manossg 05 January 2020 10:58

After seeing the video, I still feel the Amiga version is way better. It is a pity there hasn't been a 2-button fix -yet- by the miggy magicians of this forum!

Retro1234 05 January 2020 11:07

How? Is it a ST port??? Are you Blind, Ok think you can do better do it then.

It has huge score panels scrolls jerky like 16 pixels at a time this thread is just crazy!

Some people even outside Amiga circles which is rare consider Amiga Version the best 16 bit version and probably the best Beat Em up on Amiga.

StingRay 05 January 2020 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandruzzo (Post 1369424)
What I'm seeing is that Amiga port was made directly from St version...:bash

Amiga version uses the blitter so it definitely is not a direct ST port.

Galahad/FLT 05 January 2020 12:33

The Amiga version may not be the best version out there, but considering when it was released, personally I think they made an effort on it.

It's quite obviously had a bit more care than the ST version, in places they could have decided not to bother but did so anyway.

The intro with the scrolling background, its a small thing, but its a nice touch, they could have left it the same as the static ST version.

Hell, they even copper shaded the outline of the text "Golden Axe" which again, is a simple thing, but it shows someone gave a damn.

The Skeleton character select screen, the ST simply scrolled on the entire screen, on Amiga they blitter "scrolled" the skeleton into place.

Pretty sure there is more colours on the black and white intro pictures of the characters.

Bigger playfield, overlaid score and stats intstead of massive panels to reduce what had to be copied to the visible screen.

Whilst the Amiga version doesn't scroll super smoothly, it also doesn't scroll in what appears to be the ST's 16 pixel leaps either.

I think its unfair to call the Amiga version an ST port when its clear there are differences for the better throughout the conversion.

Yes its clear the ST version was the basis for the Amiga version, but its also clear they didn't settle for the ST version on the Amiga.

sandruzzo 05 January 2020 14:00

Amiga version is better than St, of course, but Now, I think, that a little bit more could have been done..

Superman 05 January 2020 14:15

I always thought the Amiga version was a pretty good version to be honest and always enjoyed playing it especially in 2 player mode.

lordofchaos 05 January 2020 14:30

Yeah it's a nice port. Am I the only one to think Amiga version has the best colour palette out of all the conversions, except arcade original.. The only thing that bugs me about it is the inconsistent frame-rate, seems to have a mind of its own.

sandruzzo 05 January 2020 14:38

Amigas' Version is 16 or 32 colors in game?

StingRay 05 January 2020 14:51

For someone claiming the Amiga version is a straight ST port you should have checked that on your own... Amiga version uses 32 colors.

d4rk3lf 05 January 2020 17:58

It's very nice port made by a great coder Richard Costello (he also ported Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, Primal Rage...).
Too bad the game itself is not in the rang of best beat em ups like Punisher, Cadillac, Captain Commando... etc... but it's older game, so that's Ok.

Galahad/FLT 05 January 2020 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandruzzo (Post 1369482)
Amiga version is better than St, of course, but Now, I think, that a little bit more could have been done..

Yes, but then this was an early 1990 game.

If you consider it was Richard Costello that did it, he was clearly a better programmer 3 years later with Mortal Kombat, so had his Amiga experience been better in 1990, sure it would have been better like most of the conversions on Amiga.

But its certainly one of the better attempts.

Amigajay 05 January 2020 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1369522)
Too bad the game itself is not in the rang of best beat em ups like Punisher, Cadillac, Captain Commando... etc... but it's older game, so that's Ok.

Golden Axe is one of the best beat em ups of all time imo, the age is irrelevant to any games greatness.

Capcoms games are great, but once you have played a couple, they mostly repeat and play the same as their predecessors.

trydowave 05 January 2020 20:21

one of the best amiga arcade ports. If i could add anything it would be to squeeze the rest of the arcades music into the other levels rather than just using the two.

TjLaZer 05 January 2020 20:35

Wow, I thought the Amiga version was amazing port and still do, and after seeing the Atari ST port, the first thing I thought to myself was "Really glad they actually made an Amiga port and didn't just port it from the ST!"

People forget that the Atari ST and Amiga are very similar. I am not taking about the Amiga 1200. (because you should then compare it to the Falcon030) Atari 520ST vs Amiga 500. So to expect vastly better games is a little far fetched.

Predseda 05 January 2020 20:56

Exactly. Amiga version of Golden Axe is superior in comparison to ST. And has the best music from all the versions, including arcade original.

lordofchaos 05 January 2020 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjLaZer (Post 1369548)
People forget that the Atari ST and Amiga are very similar. I am not taking about the Amiga 1200.

Apart from the addition of very capable hardware features, along with the sound, and not forgetting the larger colour palette.

Amigajay 05 January 2020 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjLaZer (Post 1369548)
People forget that the Atari ST and Amiga are very similar. I am not taking about the Amiga 1200. (because you should then compare it to the Falcon030) Atari 520ST vs Amiga 500. So to expect vastly better games is a little far fetched.

Just compare Nitro, Fire & Ice, First Samurai, Turrican 2, Robocod and countless others (not counting obvious games like SOTB) that show the Amiga versions are vastly superior to the ST version despite people thinking they were the same.

I did plan on doing a youtube video a while back on just this very topic, i should imagine back then people looked at the screenshots on the game boxes thinking the ‘games looked the same, they must move and play the same!’.

Nitro for example, on the Amiga has 4 way scrolling and music, on the ST vertical scrolling only and no music!