English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A somewhat geeky trip through CyberPunks main source code file (circa 1993) in Devpac (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100342)

Adrian Cummings 08 January 2020 11:56

A somewhat geeky trip through CyberPunks main source code file (circa 1993) in Devpac

Amiga 68000 main game source code restored and pulled from old Mutation Software server archives.

CyberPunks.zip

Uploaded for historical archive purposes.

Enjoy, if that's actually possible :)

a4k-oerx 08 January 2020 17:30

caches_off at 0:14 seems to be a nice trick, is/was that a common approach?

StingRay 08 January 2020 18:02

Common trick, back when UAE wasn't as mature as today I used this trick to detect the emulator.

The "blitter_wait" macro which only consists of nops will fail on faster CPU's anyway. If the memory check didn't crash the machine already. :D

malko 08 January 2020 18:30

Can we enjoy it with the original file or do we have to stick with the video ? ;)

d4rk3lf 08 January 2020 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1370275)
Can we enjoy it with the original file or do we have to stick with the video ? ;)

You could always manually re-type it from the video :p

drHirudo 08 January 2020 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1370288)
You could always manually re-type it from the video :p

Or export the video to PNG frames, then use OCR software? (The lazy person in me has spoken).

DamienD 08 January 2020 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by drHirudo (Post 1370290)
Or export the video to PNG frames, then use OCR software? (The lazy person in me has spoken).

Don't worry, I've done that exact procedure before :p

....and it's not about being lazy; it's being clever and making the most of technology ;)

d4rk3lf 08 January 2020 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by drHirudo (Post 1370290)

I think many of the text overlap's in the frames, so it would need a lot of cleaning.
So, the smartest thing to do ( :D ) , is to ask uploaded to make another video, with page by page scrolling...

DanScott 08 January 2020 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1370308)
I think many of the text overlap's in the frames, so it would need a lot of cleaning.
So, the smartest thing to do ( :D ) , is to ask uploaded to make another video, with page by page scrolling...

Or perhaps ask him to read the source code out line by line (like an audio book)

d4rk3lf 08 January 2020 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1370309)
Or perhaps ask him to read the source code out line by line (like an audio book)

That's an awesome idea!
If he reads clearly, then the software might recognize 95% of the texts.

If not, we can ask him to hire professional voice over.

Retro1234 08 January 2020 22:04

He should create a video with the Audio in C64 audio cassette format with the full listings.

dlfrsilver 09 January 2020 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro1234 (Post 1370313)
He should create a video with the Audio in C64 audio cassette format with the full listings.

and almost no one would be able to process them ahah XD

Adrian Cummings 09 January 2020 10:07

LOL many comedians here it seems hehe, well calm your tits people and behold... the silly video be gone and replaced with the main source file :)

I say 'main' because this was lovingly and originally restored from an old Quarterback HD archive and some of the other includes and stuff are missing in action on further looking :(
It won't be of much actual use other than a extra bit of Amiga history for those interested to peruse perhaps.

I also somehow locked myself out of this board, which shows how much I post here I guess and couldn't respond to this thread on mobile overnight either.

Anyway there you have it at the top of this updated thread.

Peace and Amigas,

Adrian

malko 09 January 2020 10:58

Thank you very much for the file :great
I will not understand everything for sure, but will have a look at it as a part of my learning :p (still so much to understand ;))
Regarding the DropBox place, you have enough post to access the "The Zone!" and upload it there. Another solution could be to upload it on the FTP.

Adrian Cummings 09 January 2020 11:11

Thank you. I have since uploaded it to The Zone as totally forgot I could do that myself.

Cheers,

Adrian

mc68060 09 January 2020 12:49

Thanks a lot! Could you also upload the incbin'ed data files so that it can be built?

Adrian Cummings 09 January 2020 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc68060 (Post 1370462)
Thanks a lot! Could you also upload the incbin'ed data files so that it can be built?

Sadly this is all I have now of this project apart from bits of the original graphics in .lbm format.

mc68060 09 January 2020 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Cummings (Post 1370471)
Sadly this is all I have now of this project apart from bits of the original graphics in .lbm format.

Has other material from your Amiga works survived? I'd be especially interested in Tin Toy because I think this is technically very impressive and a really fun game. Unfortunately, it came too late so it didn't get the attention it deserved :( It must have been an incredible load of work to get this as polished as it is...

dlfrsilver 09 January 2020 14:29

Quote:

thank you Adrian for sharing. Be thanked for that ! :agree:agree:agree

malko 09 January 2020 14:36

Quote:

Why not appending them in the zip file in TheZone! ?
Preservation is more than wished in our days... ;)