English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Atari ST conversion?...............Recoil (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100180)

Galahad/FLT 27 December 2019 23:16

Another Atari ST conversion?...............Recoil

.....Surely not?

Yes, this time Scoopex brings you: Recoil from Special FX!

Oh, you've probably not heard of this one, was on the coverdisk of Zero Magazine for its first issue, ST owners got Recoil, Amiga owners got Merv the Merciless.

Now, for your pleasure, it is now an Amiga release :)

Conversion by moi, music conversion by ADRDesign, intro music by Notorious.

Enjoy...... or don't!

Oh, its in the zone!

jotd 27 December 2019 23:18

is it christmas or what?

mcgeezer 27 December 2019 23:22

You are some fuckin boy Galahad!

lesta_smsc 27 December 2019 23:24

Strange... I could swear there was game very similar on the Amiga. Possibly a clone. Nice to have the Atari ST version ported!

How long did the conversion take @Galahad/FLT ?

AmigaHope 28 December 2019 06:14

Great job! =)

:: cries inside that every new ST port that comes out is not Sundog: Frozen Legacy :: =(

Psiq 28 December 2019 09:48

Thanks Galahad. If it can be done then why not!!

rare_j 28 December 2019 11:19

Thanks for porting!!
This looks like a variation of Hyper Active, which Special FX did for the spectrum and was released on a Sinclair User covertape
Screenhots:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infos...cgi?id=0002413
The gameplay is quite similar, as is the loading screen artwork.

Hope you dont mind being asked, but what inspired you to convert this cool but obscure coverdisk game?

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 1367654)
Thanks for porting!!
This looks like a variation of Hyper Active, which Special FX did for the spectrum and was released on a Sinclair User covertape
Screenhots:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infos...cgi?id=0002413
The gameplay is quite similar, as is the loading screen artwork.

Hope you dont mind being asked, but what inspired you to convert this cool but obscure coverdisk game?

1. I used to be an ST owner
2. Programmed by Joffa Smith

adrdesign 28 December 2019 12:40

Genius

zzbylu 28 December 2019 13:50

and gameplay...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVGPv1L8oNY

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrdesign (Post 1367667)
Genius

No sir, you are the genius, your music is ALWAYS high quality and your conversion work more so.

I hope we can work again in the future :)

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1367594)
is it christmas or what?

Well, amongst the other xmas presents this month, it wouldn't be the best one, but it wouldn't be the worst one. ;)

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesta_smsc (Post 1367596)
Strange... I could swear there was game very similar on the Amiga. Possibly a clone. Nice to have the Atari ST version ported!

How long did the conversion take @Galahad/FLT ?

It took in essence only a few days, but I had a really nasty bug that I simply couldn't get to the bottom of and so I left it to get inspired another day.

And I was, when Stingray released his delayed Hacker 100% release, it reminded me of Recoil and I had another look and then found the bug within 20minutes..... next thing I know, its ready for release.

Its not the best game ever, but it was easy to convert, ADRDesign rustled up the music conversion very quickly, and before you know it, it was a case of "might as well finish it off then!".

lesta_smsc 28 December 2019 14:22

Great work guys! I wonder what other projects are hidden in the hard drive waiting to be unleashed!?

Just out of curiosity, how do you start about conversion? Do you have game source or reverse engineer it from original disk inc strip out sprites?

Music sounds great. I liked the intro too... Scoopex release lol.

DamienD 28 December 2019 14:27

Thank you Sir Galahad and adrdesign :great

Currently travelling back from Southampton to London so will give it a bash tonight at some stage ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesta_smsc (Post 1367687)
Great work guys! I wonder what other projects are hidden in the hard drive waiting to be unleashed!?

I know of a few on ross's :p

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesta_smsc (Post 1367687)

Just out of curiosity, how do you start about conversion? Do you have game source or reverse engineer it from original disk inc strip out sprites?

Music sounds great. I liked the intro too... Scoopex release lol.

With the exception of Putty Squad, i've never had the source code to any of the conversions i've done, and neither has Meynaf, Asman or anyone else thats done a recent conversion.

Others do it slightly differently than me, most resource the original binary executable to return it to source code, and then work from that.

Me, I take the executable binary and I hack from the binary itself.

Most old Atari ST games are written the same way, an executable with all the game code, and usually loads up graphics from separate files.

I pick my conversions quite carefully after the debacle that was Super Sprint. That was a VERY system intensively written game, which means more system calls, and certainly more than I could comfortably interpret, as my experience with the ST wasn't very high at the time, its quite a bit better now! So I generally pick games that are coded more similarly to most Amiga games, i.e. they might use a little bit of system to load some files, but usually once thats done, the system is then not used and its all "hardware" banging from that moment on.

Certainly easier to spot the palette stuff, screen base address stuff, for me at least.

Some games are quite easy to work around, others are highly irritating, French games are usually quite irritating, Meynaf is welcome to as many of those as he wants lol

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1367595)
You are some fuckin boy Galahad!

It's alright, but its no Rygar! :bowdown

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1367642)
Does the new Amiga version make full use of the custom chips? Or is it another plain, straightforward conversion that doesn't bother to do so and thus makes up over 80% of the existing Amiga "ST ports" software library?

We've had one of these meaningless interactions before on this.

Don't like the results?

Use your own time to better mine.

We all await with nervous excitement.

lesta_smsc 28 December 2019 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 1367689)
With the exception of Putty Squad, i've never had the source code to any of the conversions i've done, and neither has Meynaf, Asman or anyone else thats done a recent conversion.

Others do it slightly differently than me, most resource the original binary executable to return it to source code, and then work from that.

Me, I take the executable binary and I hack from the binary itself.

Most old Atari ST games are written the same way, an executable with all the game code, and usually loads up graphics from separate files.

I pick my conversions quite carefully after the debacle that was Super Sprint. That was a VERY system intensively written game, which means more system calls, and certainly more than I could comfortably interpret, as my experience with the ST wasn't very high at the time, its quite a bit better now! So I generally pick games that are coded more similarly to most Amiga games, i.e. they might use a little bit of system to load some files, but usually once thats done, the system is then not used and its all "hardware" banging from that moment on.

Certainly easier to spot the palette stuff, screen base address stuff, for me at least.

Some games are quite easy to work around, others are highly irritating, French games are usually quite irritating, Meynaf is welcome to as many of those as he wants lol

Incredible! I will certainly give this a go once I'm back home... I will write the ADF hopefully if the CF isn't playing up again! Either than or convert from ADF to SCP and write using Greaseweazle!

I can't imagine the difficulty in putting this together but from what you're saying, it's way beyond me... I am happy to enjoy the final results of your labours! Lol

Galahad/FLT 28 December 2019 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzbylu (Post 1367677)

:great