English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What happened to all the apps?? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=2226)

Oscar Castillo 11 November 2001 04:12

What happened to all the apps??

I've been searching all over the web for apps to buy or download. Primarily graphics apps, but almost always come across nothing but games. I turned to Ebay and even there isn't much in the way of apps. Might bid on Cinema 4D, but can't find Imagine 3.0 or higher, Aladdin, Caligari, etc.. Any ideas?

TikTok 11 November 2001 04:23

I always wonder about this myself. I hope this doesn;t mean that some of the Amiga's famous software (ADPro, Lightwave etc) gets lost :eek.

I guess what it comes down to is that games were much more popular than apps with most people, so apps didn't get spread anywhere near as much. A lot of apps also require pretty powerful machines (for the time) - another reason for people not to bother copying them.

And perhaps those who actually paid several hundred pounds for the software didn't want to give it away for free :).

Still, I suppose there are some collectors who simply collected everything and might have what you are looking for. I have copies of Imagine 3 and 4 - I'm putting 4 in the zone now. If you (or anyone else) needs 3 for some reason, just let me know.

Twistin'Ghost 11 November 2001 04:34

Accepting requests for apps...

Twistin'Ghost 11 November 2001 12:29

@Oscar
Hey, I posted Caligari v2.4 and Aladdin 4D v2.1 to the Zone. My files are in a state of disarray at the moment, so I am unable to locate Cinema 4D, although it seems like I have it. Let me know if you need any other junk...I have buckets of this stuff.

Twistin'Ghost 13 November 2001 14:35

oh dear...

Amigaboy 13 November 2001 15:48

1 Attachment(s)
Oh shit!

You mentioned something related to Godflesh in front of Twistin

Here's a pic of what happened the last time the friendly ghost got angry!

Big-Byte 13 November 2001 16:26

Ive got about....

100 adfs of the 600 adfs listed in the apps section of the tosec database. I will get a list of them when I get home tonight.

Amiga1992 13 November 2001 16:41

I've got Real 3D v1.4, Kindwords 3, Deluxe Paint IV and Deluxe Paint II, if anyone';s interested.

I also have a colection of copiers. WHERE ARE da copiers? Let's share! I want TetriCopy! (the one where you played tetris while copying ;))

Big-Byte 13 November 2001 16:49

I want that copier that..

went.. "Yo ho Yo ho a Pirates life for me!" (sound sample) whenever you started it.

Whats it called?

Big-Byte 13 November 2001 16:51

Ive got an original...

Cachet X-copy 2 disk with that little gagdet thing that goes between your amiga and disk drive.

It was so you could copy long track disks I think.

Only prob with it I found was that you couldnt do copies of copies on it.

Kodoichi 13 November 2001 16:55

I have a copy program where you can play Pacman :laughing <- I used this smiley because he somehow looks like a pacman

Twistin'Ghost 13 November 2001 18:10

I have a pretty good collection of copiers. Tetra Copy is the one where you can play Tetris while making dupes. It can be found on ALE Disk Copiers from the ALE page. If it's not there anymore, lemme know and I'll toss it up. I also have RatPac (the one with Pacman).

Don't quote me, but I thought it was Marauder II that had the pirate song on it. It's been YEARS. I tried running that from some compact, but it guru'd, so I tried it from the standalone disk and that wasn't it. Maybe Marauder I?

Anyway, I have a bunch of copier compacts, as well as standalone disks for them if anyone would like a flood...

Amiga1992 13 November 2001 20:45

I have some of those too, and in one of them Marauder II lies, and I never heard such sample (btw Marauder seems to need 1.3 to run)

I'll check out ALE! I thought it was offline?

Samurai: yeah that one looks like Pacman... *waka waka* :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

andreas 16 November 2001 00:04

As we are here...

Twistin', was there ever a newer version of CLI-MATE released than 1.2? This is one of the best tools ever on the Amiga IMHO.
It must be more than 500 times I've already used it.
(In case you might ask, no, I couldn't ever accomodate to either DirOpus (hardly any good version for WB 1.3) or Disk Master. :))

Twistin'Ghost 16 November 2001 02:58

There may have been a newer version. I have all that info in a different database at home and will check. And I am sure I have every version ever released.

One dir util I was never able to embrace was Disk Master, even though a lot of my friends liked it (in the pre-Opus days). I started the dir util thing with CLImate, then moved over to ClickDOS, ClickDOS II and then (kicking and screaming) I finally advanced up to Directory Opus (I think I started with DOpus 2). One thing I learned was that once you get comfortable with a dir util, it becomes very difficult to switch over to a different one. The only conversion I made from my above list that was easy was from ClickDOS to ClickDOS II. I could never make the move from DOpus 4 to 5 (and never will!)

DPainter 16 November 2001 18:34

1 Attachment(s)
I am attaching a directory dump from a CD I have that contains all sorts of apps, among other things. Tell me if you want me to upload anything from it.

Twistin'Ghost 16 November 2001 23:41

Some groovy stuff there, Dpainter. I see things already that I must leech from you. Lots of good educational software in there that you don't see very often. Lots of multimedia, gfx apps and just stuff. I'll bang up a gimme list. :D

MethodGit 17 November 2001 00:22

The "gimme list". :D Very wikkid, Twist. Hey yo, that rhymes! http://eab.abime.net/images/icons/icon20.gif

Big-Byte 29 November 2001 17:26

QUICKNIBBLE.

The copier was called Quicknibble. I ran it up last night..
and now I have that song going round and round in my head all day!!.

"Yo ho, yo ho a pirates life for me!!"

Twistin'Ghost 29 November 2001 22:07

Thanks, Big-Byte. I just haven't had the time to properly sit down and go through the beaucoup copiers trying to find that elusive app!

And thanks DPainter for all of those gloriously unique warez from my request list. The very fact that they weren't popular with the masses is what I find intriguing about them. And yes, I play each of them daily (usually just before going into work and right after I get home from work). My desktop backdrop is a montage of my fav moments from the Fun School games (I had to increase my system resolution to make room for more screens!)

:laughing :laughing :laughing