English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Old Rare Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone remember Fairy Tale Adventure? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=541)

Cam 20 June 2001 01:21

Anyone remember Fairy Tale Adventure?

This was my favourite game at the tender age of eight, and rediscovering it thanks to UAE was a nostalgic joy. There's only one problem - I desperately need the map that came with it. I've searched quite a few sites but with no luck. Sadly my original copy disappeared long ago.

If someone could help me, I'd be pathetically grateful :sad

Fred the Fop 20 June 2001 21:00

Oh yeah??

i always prefered it on the megadrive\genesis as opposed to my freind's Amiga version. if you like, I 'll upload the Genesis verison for you, I would have, but I'm at work now:)

:cool

CodyJarrett 21 June 2001 18:58

Genesis

It's a lot easier than Amiga emulation, but I'd stick with the Amiga version. The Mega Drive one feels fake!

CodyJarrett 21 June 2001 19:20

Faery Tale Adventure

Actually, it does look like the Amiga version...

Ian: Removed Screenshot

Amiga1992 23 June 2001 06:28

hey, I like Sega as well, and I used to be a Sega fanboy years ago! NIntendo is filtH! and all that crap :D

No matter how much I love a machine, however, I tend to recognize its flaws, and I can really compare one game in a platform to another, and get away with it without being unfair,. for me to rate this game Id have to play it,, and in the real thing, no bloody emus :)

LONG LIFE THE SHARP X68000!~!!!!!

Fred the Fop 28 September 2001 00:24

I always get killed by the damn skeletons on the road. the fighting sequences are lousy, but this game has plenty of personality, tho.
I stink at this game. Tell me anyone, have you finished this game? How long is it?

Shadowfire 29 September 2001 22:37

I finished it. I would guesstimate that it took me about 80 hours total.

The biggest problem the game has is survival in the beginning. If you can survive long enough to get your bravery up to about 200 you're basically immortal/unstoppable for the rest of the game.

There is a *lot* of exploration (and I mean a *lot*). It's compounded by the fact that you have to return to Tambry in order to get food every few hours. This means that you only get to explore small portions of the map at a time, until you get the golden swan near the end of the game.

The last level takes place in the Astral plane, which has new music (pretty good music). There are different tiles, like ice tiles, speed-up tiles, and regular tiles. You have to navigate a maze suspended in outer space to get to the final battle with the Wizard. If you aren't careful, you fall off the maze & die, losing 5 luck. It's important to harrass the Witch for all the luck you can get your hands on before you go after the wizard.

I liked the game a lot.

Fred the Fop 30 September 2001 07:06

You know, there is something about new World Gaming that was so...crisp, different and high quality. Might & Magic 2, Kings Bounty, Fairy Tale Adventure, etc. Damn good stuff.
Kings Bounty has got to be one of the top games ever. I remember downloading a version for the PC. Oh man...what a tragic rape of a great game:p
Love Amiga!

MethodGit 30 September 2001 08:43

I remember playing Heroes Of Might & Magic 2 a LOT on my PC four years ago or summat like that. THAT was a top class N.W. Computing game I know of very much. :)

CodyJarrett 01 October 2001 07:19

Faery Tale Adventure

Fred - Faery Tale Adventure is by MicroIllusions, not New World Computing.

I agree: King's Bounty is a superb game!

Fred the Fop 01 October 2001 07:44

My mistake, and thanks for correcting me, Cody. I did purchase it for the Sega Megadrive , and it was published by New World , but I know now for the Amiga, it was MicroIllusions.
As for the great game, King's Bounty, wasn't it funny as hell watching 2,000 peasants get roasted by one dragon? Man, that game is timeless!:)

scifi 01 October 2001 07:56

Is there a sequel of Faery Tale Adventure?
I have a screenshot (quite bad indeed) of Faery Tale Adventure 2 but I think is on PC!!

Come on guys, help me on that!!

:cool ;)

Fred the Fop 01 October 2001 20:03

There IS indeed one, caled "Halls of the Dead". and it was a PC game. i never tried it, but it looks nice. but I have a feeling it was subpar..just a guess, thats all. here is a link to it's screenshot.

http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/game.php3?game_id=577

CodyJarrett 01 October 2001 20:22

Lords Of Time

Actually, thinking about it, Lords Of Time might have been some sort of sequel to the Faery Tale Adventure. I'm not sure what the link is, though.

Ian: Removed Screenshot

Shadowfire 02 October 2001 01:38

I have the game. CD case scan attached. Unfortunately it suffered from severe control issues (you had to control all 3 brothers at once & the pathfinding AI was absolutely awful) so I never actually played it for more than 15 minutes.

The disc itself shows a copyright date of 1997. It includes both "DOS" and "Windows 95" versions. It has 338mb of files, most of which is a file called "ftavoice.hrs (256mb)" which leads me to believe that there may be a lot of speech in the game.

Ian: Removed Cover Scan

Twistin'Ghost 02 October 2001 01:52

Leave it to the PC excess machine to fuck up a good thing...

Shadowfire 02 October 2001 01:57

Twist... bad programmer are bad programmers no matter what platform.

Maverick357 02 October 2001 02:15

I have try (and play !) some months ago, the faery tale 2 (pc version) downloaded from an abandonware legal server (underdogs if i remember good).
First impression whas very good for graphics, (no voice or music because cd-rip) but not for gameplay because of there is a lot of bugs.

First (and the worse !!) whas the inventory: when i give some precious object an one of the brother (because of weight/space in inventory), the object in the inventory disapear without any message to say it.
And for some precious object (like keys, spellbooks, important message,ect...), without it, the game whas unplayable.
The pathfinder whas very bad and boring.

After 2 hours of play, i have delete it.

Too bad because this sequel seem interesting but the bugs kill the fun of it.

Fred the Fop 02 October 2001 04:02

See? I WAS right, it is a hunk of shit. Shadowfire, good ol' Twistin Lookinland is correct. Because of this main reason that he is trying to get across: In the old days of game programming, coders had to sweat, bleed and strain to squeeze as much info into the limited space they had to work. What they put in, they made count. Nowadays, with 1 gig games, they have become frivolous and quality control is suspect. Also, they pile a whole mess of useless shit that helps to cause conflicts with other programs on your computer, as well as deviate the attention, energy and effort of the coders from the core issue of gameplay.
Is that what your terse post meant, Twist?:)

Twistin'Ghost 02 October 2001 04:46

Yes.

Or in the words of that deep political thinker, Robert Brady: "Yeah..."