English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   3 David Whittaker Amiga Tunes to choose from, which one is best? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100451)

ZEUSDAZ 17 January 2020 00:21

3 David Whittaker Amiga Tunes to choose from, which one is best?

Hi everyone and welcome to the January 2020 edition of "Which is Best?".

Last month I placed the first 3 Alien Breed Amiga games against each other asking you which one was the best, I can now reveal that Tower Assault is the victor with 23 votes, Alien Breed 1 (including SE) was a serious close 2nd with 22 votes, whilst Alien Breed II came way down in 3rd place with just 6 votes.
Thanks to all that took part in the voting.

This month I'm going to place 3 classic David Whittaker Amiga title tunes against each other (approx 4mins each), They are Bad Company, Platoon and Leatherneck (no, no Shadow of The Beast before you ask as it doesn't sound the same as these 3 and wouldn't be fair as no doubt would gain most of the votes), which do you think is the better tune out of these three?!,...only your votes will determine that :great

David Whittaker music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppf6TwJt9w0

You have until 15th February to get your vote in, happy voting! :great

Zeus.

DamienD 17 January 2020 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ (Post 1372099)
(no, no Shadow of The Beast before you ask as it doesn't sound the same as these 3)

Booooo... that for me is absolutely amazing / mesmerising and would have got my vote!!! I'll never forget the first time I played this game and that track.

So atmospheric and eerie; really set the game :agree

ZEUSDAZ 17 January 2020 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1372104)
Booooo... that for me is absolutely amazing / mesmerising and would have got my vote!!! I'll never forget the first time I played this game and that track.

So atmospheric and eerie; really set the game :agree

Yep but it wouldn't be fair to these 3 tunes as you've just proven ;-)
Anyway, stop throwing toys out the pram and pick one of these if you were forced to make a choice :p

alexh 17 January 2020 07:26

The only one of these three I ever played was platoon. So I don’t feel nostalgia for the other two. DW did some amazing tracks but for me non of these the stand out. For me I vote platoon

Jope 17 January 2020 09:41

Out of these, I prefer Platoon. But is it a DW or a Jonathan Dunn composition?

Bad Company has the hallmark DW mannerisms, so in a way that's the ideal DW tune of these. :-)

Tigerskunk 17 January 2020 10:15

I have a love/hate-relationship to the Leathernecks one. It' so hilarious with its "YEAH, LET'S GO KILLING PEOPLE, IT'S FUN"-vibe.

So my vote goes for that one.

Galahad/FLT 17 January 2020 10:50

None are any of Whittakers best, Leathernecks at least doesn't sound so plodding as the others.

I'll bet money Bad Company took him an hour to "compose".

Leathernecks for me, but such a poor trio of tunes, if you threw Popcorn into the mix, that would likely win!

chip 17 January 2020 11:04

As other said my preferred one is missing (Weird Dreams)

I vote for Platoon anyway :agree

malko 17 January 2020 13:03

After listening the 1st post video, I vote for :

1. Leatherneck (@Steril707 : totally agree, the trumpet is so cool and is an invitation to shoot the enemies).

Then :
2. Bad company (not remembering the game, while listening I thought that it would be a great music for a shoot'em up)
3. Platoon (nice one, but I dislike one instrument)

NorthWay 17 January 2020 15:45

Leatherneck. But I'd rather have Speedball, SideWinder, Total Recall or Blood Money ingame.

DamienD 17 January 2020 15:59

Yes to Blood Money :agree

Galahad/FLT 17 January 2020 16:00

Blood Money was Ray Norrish

NorthWay 17 January 2020 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 1372216)
Blood Money was Ray Norrish

I thought the in-game tune was DW. I even checked the Wikipedia page to see that it said so.
But I'll be thrilled to be corrected and learn something new.

saimon69 17 January 2020 17:22

Leatherneck for me too, one of the first games i had on Amiga, the dad of Dogs of War and also the first time (maybe only) that i heard that trumped sample used in a good way :) pity the game was 5h17 as commando clone :/

And a strong representative of pre-Beast Whittaker style

Dunny 17 January 2020 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 1372146)
such a poor trio of tunes, if you threw Popcorn into the mix, that would likely win!

This. None of those tunes are at all different to eachother in any real way. You could add in the original Xenon music and not disturb the flow.

Not Whitakker at his finest, by a long shot.

Galahad/FLT 17 January 2020 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1372231)
I thought the in-game tune was DW. I even checked the Wikipedia page to see that it said so.
But I'll be thrilled to be corrected and learn something new.

http://amp.dascene.net/analyzer2.php?idx=102164

Whittaker used his own format for music, Ray used Noisetracker/Protracker.

ZEUSDAZ 16 February 2020 16:02

Platoon wins with 19 votes, in 2nd place is Leatherneck with 8 votes and in last place with just 2 is Bad Comapany, thanks for voting, February "VS" edition coming up.

Nobby_UK 17 February 2020 19:39

+1 for Leatherneck

Hewitson 18 February 2020 02:29

Too late, but it's Bad Company by a mile for me.

mnemo 24 February 2020 16:44

Also too late, but: LEATHERNECK! I really, really love that tune. *shrug*