English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. System (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Supervisor stack size? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=96094)

alpine9000 30 January 2019 09:06

Supervisor stack size?

So if I understand correctly, when you have an interrupt server it will be run in supervisor mode using the supervisor stack.

How big is the supervisor stack ? Is this documented anywhere ?

meynaf 30 January 2019 09:21

You will find this info in SysStkUpper/SysStkLower fields in ExecBase.

alpine9000 30 January 2019 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1301180)
You will find this info in SysStkUpper/SysStkLower fields in ExecBase.

Great thanks, is this configurable in a system friendly way?

Or would use switch to your own stack if you needed a bigger stack in a server?

meynaf 30 January 2019 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine9000 (Post 1301184)

Moving the supervisor stack is possible, i even have code for doing it, but i wouldn't recommend doing that all the time...

Quote:

Never did this, but it's in theory possible to use your own allocated stack.

However, normally the supervisor stack should be big enough. If you're doing heavy duty work it might be better to create a new task and send it some signal from the interrupt server.

Thomas Richter 30 January 2019 14:00

Quote:

You can allocate a new supervisor stack - all provided you insert this information into execbase as otherwise graphics below v45 gets a hickup. However - what for? The supervisor stack is only needed for interrupt processing, and its default size of 6K is really large enough.
Quote:

There is no "own supervisor stack", there is only "one supervisor stack". So I wonder - why do you think that the default size is not large enough? Note well, the supervisor stack is completely separate from the user stack which is separate for each task, and which has a size that is task-dependent and configurable individually, for example with the magic $STACK: cookie in the code hunk.

Leffmann 30 January 2019 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Richter (Post 1301223)
... for example with the magic $STACK: cookie in the code hunk.

What's the exact format, and what versions of Kickstart support this?

I always felt that the managing the stack via the c:stack command and the program icon was a terrible solution.

hooverphonique 30 January 2019 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 1301229)
What's the exact format, and what versions of Kickstart support this?

I'd like to know, too.. Sounds interesting, don't think I ever heard that mentioned before..

meynaf 30 January 2019 17:05

From what i know setting stack size this way requires at least kick 3.1.
I prefer using a pair of StackSwap() calls.

alpine9000 30 January 2019 23:18

Quote:

You can allocate a new supervisor stack - all provided you insert this information into execbase as otherwise graphics below v45 gets a hickup. However - what for? The supervisor stack is only needed for interrupt processing, and its default size of 6K is really large enough.

There is no "own supervisor stack", there is only "one supervisor stack". So I wonder - why do you think that the default size is not large enough? Note well, the supervisor stack is completely separate from the user stack which is separate for each task, and which has a size that is task-dependent and configurable individually, for example with the magic $STACK: cookie in the code hunk.

Well I don't have an immediate specific need for something > 6k in mind, but games programmers are always pushing the boundaries of everything, so it's nice to know where the boundary is. As for "6K is really large enough", sounds a bit like another famous quote about ram size that also started with a 6 and ended with a K ;)

I could imagine for example if you wanted to do a quick and dirty conversion of a non system friendly game, to make it system friendly that had it's main loop running out of the VBL and it used a lot of stack. Obviously there are other ways around it, but the OS provides a way of adding these interrupt servers, yet there are (unwritten?) rules about what you can do in them.

Bruce Abbott 13 February 2019 07:41

Quote:

the user stack which is separate for each task, and which has a size that is task-dependent and configurable individually, for example with the magic $STACK: cookie in the code hunk.

I have not found this cookie in any executable. Is it an OS4 feature?

Wepl 19 February 2019 17:42

AFAIK this is OS4 only.

Thomas Richter 02 June 2019 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott (Post 1304377)
I have not found this cookie in any executable. Is it an OS4 feature?

No. Everything from 3.9 onwards, including 3.1.4, supports it. This feature is part of the shell, and part of the workbench. It made its way into the shell first, workbench came later.

nogginthenog 03 June 2019 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 1301229)
What's the exact format

It appears to be this:
https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Contro...lication_Stack

Code:

static const char USED min_stack[] = "$STACK:102400";
I never knew about this feature either.

Thomas Richter 03 June 2019 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogginthenog (Post 1325212)
It appears to be this:
https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Contro...lication_Stack

Code:

static const char USED min_stack[] = "$STACK:102400";
I never knew about this feature either.

A newline at the end of the string is missing.

hooverphonique 03 June 2019 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Richter (Post 1325224)
A newline at the end of the string is missing.

is a classic terminating zero char required also?

Wepl 03 June 2019 22:27

Still unclear to me what logic applies if CLI or WB-icon specifies a larger stack than the cookie.
In my tests it didn't work in 3.9.

Thomas Richter 04 June 2019 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wepl (Post 1325250)
Still unclear to me what logic applies if CLI or WB-icon specifies a larger stack than the cookie.
In my tests it didn't work in 3.9.

You can only increase the stack size, not decrease it. And sure, it does work. The feature came in with the updated shell in one of the BoingBags, the cookie must be in the first hunk, and it requires a line feed and a \0 beyond the number. The workbench does not honor it before 3.1.4.

Leffmann 04 June 2019 12:37

So to summarize, it's
$STACK:1234\n\0
inserted into the first hunk, and it only works correctly in AmigaOS 3.1.4 (both in the shell and on the Workbench) and the stack size will be set to the largest of the three indicators?

Thomas Richter 04 June 2019 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 1325352)
So to summarize, it's
$STACK:1234\n\0
inserted into the first hunk, and it only works correctly in AmigaOS 3.1.4 (both in the shell and on the Workbench) and the stack size will be set to the largest of the three indicators?

It already works with the V45 shell which was first delivered with one of the boingbags, I forgot which. The shell was not updated in the original 3.9 release IIRC.

Bruce Abbott 05 June 2019 04:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Richter (Post 1325358)
It already works with the V45 shell which was first delivered with one of the boingbags, I forgot which. The shell was not updated in the original 3.9 release IIRC.

So not very useful then - and also a disgusting kludge. Though I guess it's better than expecting users to type a 'stack' command before running programs from the CLI, and then unceremoniously crashing when they don't.