English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Will ClassicWB be updated? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=69293)

Neil79 19 May 2013 03:12

Will ClassicWB be updated?

I noticed through my experience that a number of devices/software are out of date in ClassicWB even ClassicWBADVSP

Namely Fat95 is version 3.11 but 3.8 is available

The audio devices with AHI that need to be overwritten/installed are also much much newer.

Not sure what else is out of date as i'm doing bits at a time :spin

luy32 19 May 2013 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil79 (Post 889317)
Namely Fat95 is version 3.11 but 3.8 is available

:spin

hmmmm.....

it is not a decimal it is version.revision
ver3. rev11 is higher than ver3.rev8

mfilos 19 May 2013 11:36

AHI on CWB editions is 4.0. In fact latest version 6.0 is slower so i think this is the reason that Bloodwych put this version compared to the latest.

Bloodwych 19 May 2013 13:07

mfilos is on the money - I only update to versions I know work the best or I have fully tested myself.

Sometimes the most recent version is not the best, or if you jump straight to a more recent version it ends up having bugs or is slower on classic Amigas. Newer versions are not tested as extensively on older Workbench and Amiga setups as older versions, so you have to be careful.

The newer Scalos is an exapmple of that, as are some of the MUI files.

The packs do need an update - WHDLoad is now v17.1 and PeterK's icon pack would be a nice addition for example. Not sure when I'll get time to update them however, soon I hope. In the mean time the packs are pretty easy to update and customize yourself so it's not such a big issue.

It is worth checking for newer versions if something is not working correctly or you need a newer version of a file to run a program but upgrading everything to latest versions just for the sake of it can lead to problems - so test each change! :)

Neil79 19 May 2013 17:58

Thanks Bloodwych, sounds about right :)

How easy is it to update to the latest WHDLOAD? Simply downloading and running the install file via the classicwb os?

If you ever get the time to update the classicWB versions to the latest that only work well, it would be a huge bonus :)

Turran 19 May 2013 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil79 (Post 889439)
How easy is it to update to the latest WHDLOAD? Simply downloading and running the install file via the classicwb os?

Yes. Just run through the installation.

Check4GB is older as well. If you update in the future, add it to your list =)

Neil79 19 May 2013 19:07

Nice!

Have just updated WHDLOAD, was **** easy! :)

Thanks

duga 19 May 2013 19:09

ClassAct doesn't work on A600 (68000 + 2 MB chip + 4 MB fast + ROM 3.1) on latest ClassicWB. Ramlib crashes.

NovaCoder 20 May 2013 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfilos (Post 889366)
AHI on CWB editions is 4.0. In fact latest version 6.0 is slower so i think this is the reason that Bloodwych put this version compared to the latest.

Yep v4.18 is the latest version of AHI you want installed on the real thing. AHI v6 has more accurate sound playback at the cost of precious CPU cycles.

Bloodwych 23 June 2013 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by duga (Post 889457)
ClassAct doesn't work on A600 (68000 + 2 MB chip + 4 MB fast + ROM 3.1) on latest ClassicWB. Ramlib crashes.

Hi, sorry for the late response. You need to download the classact2demo file from Aminet, then manually copy across the layout.gadget file 68000 version. I must have left a 020 version in there and the installer for classact will not replace newer files, hence the crash.

This version was converted across from the 020 LITE and I removed classact as it wasn't required for the default install, so never noticed that a Classact 020 layout.gadget file was left in the drawer. This will be fixed by the next version.

markie32 24 June 2013 14:57

Patiently waiting the next cwb update :)

Retro-Nerd 02 September 2013 20:38

The download section needs a link update. Currently there is shown the v26 version, but it's actually v27 on the server.

Quote:

download.abime.net/classicwb/ClassicWB_LITE_v26.zip
You have to change the "6" to "7" atm to download the packs. ;)

Bloodwych 02 September 2013 20:54

Yeah, something strange has happeded to the website. A few pics weren't displaying, then I had to upload the site again. Must have uploaded an old version of the site. woops.

Retrofan 02 September 2013 20:57

How goes the update of the CWBAdv versions? I really want to try it ;)

Bloodwych 02 September 2013 21:12

Ok, fixed the website - didn't take long to notice, only uploaded the old version by accident yesterday. Thanks for letting me know Retro-Nerd. :D

Retrofan, me fellow pre-installed pack buddy - I've updated all the packs up to the ADV version - GAAE, 68K, LITE (inc the WB 1.3 themes) and FULL are done, but really struggling to find the time to sit down and finish them to be honest. I keep chipping away an hour or so each weekend.