English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Need help with Ami Pc parallel Linkup kit (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5159)

Devious 22 June 2002 19:21

Need help with Ami Pc parallel Linkup kit

Hi,

Does anyone else have this ami-pc parallel linkup kit from www.amigagames.co.uk? I've followed the instructions and tried everything possible...It just won't work :(.

First of all im running workbench 2.04 on an amiga 500+ my pc is p3 800 with Windows xp. I open the client on the pc fine, then I click the mountpc4ks2 icon on the amiga and the loading light comes on for about 5 seconds then off......Nothing happens at all i know a pc icon is supposed to show up but it doesn't. So i left it 20 mins to see if anything loaded and sure enough nothing did. So i click the icon again and i get a "device already mounted error." So i reboot the amiga and the pc and try again..same problem..so i try it again like 10 more times and still the same problem. Now the next time i tried i clicked the MountPC4KS3 (which is for workbench 3) icon and it came up with an error saying packet transfer too slow. What does that mean? and why didnt i get that error when i used the workbench 2 version? I stayed up until like 7am this morning trying to sort this out:sad. Do any of you guys know what i should do top get it working?

Much appreciated!!!!

mr_0rga5m 22 June 2002 20:03

Well i dunno bout that package BUT i do know that Pc2Am has the same problems .. XP blocks the Parallel transfer.

If anybody has a solution i'd be happy to hear it. :)

Devious 22 June 2002 20:07

So if i used windows 98 then it would transfer?

Devious 22 June 2002 20:19

The kit is actually PC2Am do you know if they're is a website with some help files for me to check out.

mr_0rga5m 22 June 2002 21:35

i used to use Pc2Am (off aminet) to transfer over a parallel cable (actually was the cable nicked outta a pcanywhere package from work) on win98 and win2k .. but then like i said when i changed to a new machine with XP on it stopped working.

As for a website i dont know, i just got mine from aminet.

Sorry i cant help further.

ElectroBlaster 23 June 2002 00:06

Yeh tis true m8! XP wont work with it.. i had the same problem with win2K aswell

Only 98se and ME worked so I got a pcmcia network card and Samba so I could still use XP/2K.

Bloodwych 24 June 2002 17:16

Sorry Devious, never realised you'd started this thread.

I'm using Win ME and apart from the occasional packet loss, the Ami2PC kit works very well.

I did however install the software from Aminet, because the Amiga install script that comes with the kit is totally crap.

Make sure PC side you run the NON-resident version. It transfers files faster.

Also run the PC software in a dos box and use the properties tab to disable screensavers and suspend background tasks. Any little disturbance can break the connection, so always have the box selected or make it full screen.

On the Amiga side if you're running the software off HD, try booting from the disk provided in order to verify the connection is working.

Do a search in these forums because there are quite a few threads covering this software.

Good Luck.

Uukrul 24 June 2002 18:33

Use Paradise (search Aminet). I tried all cables and configurations with PC2AM but didn't work for me. Paradise is fast, reliable and always works.

Djay 01 March 2003 21:40

i have paradise 0.71,,, does this work with winXP Pro??

Djay 01 March 2003 21:54

i really need to get my parallel network sorted out...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8913

so any help would be good:)

Djay 01 March 2003 22:18

ok, a need a huge favour..... i need a floppy amiga disk with the Amiga Paradise program or...

is there another peice of PC software that works with MountPC

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm now completely knackered!!!! i don't want to install Win98 just to get this working!!!!!!!!!!!

amiganaut 02 March 2003 00:40

Very interesting

I have the Ami-PC CD and simply copied the files to my Windows 95 machine.

Here is the trick OK.

First connect the cables, but make sure the machines are off. Switch on the PC and then the Amiga plus all periperals. Wait for all disk activity to stop.

Click the Ami-Pc Folder with the Amires link ... wait until the window has loaded. Don't minimalise the page as it says. Then go to the Amiga and click the version2 in your case or version3 for the OS3 version. You must wait until the PC Disk appears on your screen. It will say its not able to make links in the Shell screen, don't worry.

The trick is you must activate the link only once, and be patient. It is slow to start. Also make a recognisable folder on the PC to use.

I use Dopus on the A1200 to do the file changing.

Just out of interest I've transferred over a gigabite of stuff this week and burned onto 2 PC CD's so I can read on my A1200 CD.

If you want the address link to makers I can give it to you.

I had bad results to start with, but learnt that you have to be patient. I guess an A500 may be slow.

PS: Strangely the PC cannot delete the French version of any of the Amiga Software catalogues like in Toolsdeamon or New installer

I do like Anime......... sorry ! Watching Japanese film

;)

Djay 02 March 2003 03:11

Quote:

I have the Ami-PC CD and simply copied the files to my Windows 95 machine.
yeah, i was using this with Win98SE, it was fine... a bit unstable at times, but it worked out... but now i'm using XP, it just won't work....

Quote:

You must wait until the PC Disk appears on your screen. It will say its not able to make links in the Shell screen, don't worry
i think it means that it find the icons for the PC hard-drives, which means it uses the default disk icon instead, i sometimes get this disk icon appear, but as soon as i try to access the drive (Filer, DOPUS and Workbench), i get the cannot send packet for long enough message...

i don't and won't install Win98 to get this to work, if paradise can do it in Xp then i'll have to get the Amiga side floppy disk from somewhere (any takers???)

this really knackers up my plans for my A600, the machine doesn't come with Workbench, it means transfering the Wb2.1 disks to my A1200 to write on floppies, then take out HD and install into A600, none of this can be done, part of the reason of my buying an A600 is because i could keep it next to my PC (on my desk) so i could transfer back and forth!!!!

I'm really pissed with this situation... bloody M$ again... it seems i might have to do a dual boot, anyone done this (i.e. WinXp already installed, then install Win98)..., but i REALLY don't want to have to do this.... i mean it... LOL

please can all EAB'ers either give me some help or at least some love and care.... LOL

ElectroBlaster 02 March 2003 03:50

Check this out

m8:http://www.geocities.com/merijn_bell...8dualboot.html

looks like your gonna have to dualboot as XP doesnt hit the printer port like 98se and ME do! so printer port networking to an amiga just wont work :(

i tried all of this stuff and the only way to have 100% pure networking is to go ethernet on the amiga!

Djay 02 March 2003 04:32

Quote:

i tried all of this stuff and the only way to have 100% pure networking is to go ethernet on the amiga
wadda need to set-up ethernet... and would a hub get in the way?

just had a look at that dual boot link, i think i might buy an old pc with 98 on :D

§ane 02 March 2003 05:48

I am certain (but I can't recall how) I got PC2Amiga working on Win2K.

Here's a new idea. Ya could pipe it through Virtual PC or VMware running a Windows 9x variant, instead of partitioning that is.

amiganaut 02 March 2003 11:44

Guys

A little tip, don't mix bubble gum computers woth real hardware. XP is a dangerous complicated piece of software that is intuative, relies on the net and thinks for itself. My advise is don't go there. Win98 is a very stable piece of software and before Xmas I purchased a brand new Windows98 machine, the guy was dumbstruck when I insisted I wanted Win98. I have an XP machine which I use as a library but it is in now way linked to the web. An XP machine with ADSL is a very dangerous machine, your computer technically becomes part of the world wide web. It is part of a bigger plan by Microsoft to both dominate and to make subscription by the hour possible. That is why they no longer ship disks. Get it....................

But there is another way. Cool and sexy.

You get the freeadds or go to Ebay and buy a bog standard second hand Win95 machine max £25 complete with tiny tiny monitor , better to get the desktop flat type so you can use it as a monitor stand and use it to transfer files. I was gifted an old Compaq which I cleaned up and have this as a data file transfer machine.

Don't try to accomodate Msoft, use it for your own benefit. Ie go to Aminet to keep it alive, download at super speed all the LHA files and then either by networking or better by CD or zip take them to your other Win machine and Bob is your uncle. May sound a bit extreme but trust me it really works fine.

Just out of interest, I've got four PCS networked, in one room and in my Amiga Study I've got another PC plus four A1200's, 2 x A500, 1 x 600 and an Eyetech tower. And they all work at the flick of a switch.

Your only gonna have real fun with computers when you start dictating how you wanna play. There is another place.

PS I also have a Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2 and PS1 and trust me the Amiga still rules m'kay

Djay 02 March 2003 18:57

Quote:

Virtual PC or VMware
?

how do you set an ethernet Ami<>PC2 network????

Lynk 02 March 2003 19:39

well i don't know what you guys are on about but i do know i have Ami2PC working with WinXP only problem is it's too damn slow.

I haven't been able to fix the speed problem but i can assure you i do have it working with XP.

Instead of Double Clicking on PC2Amres on the PC side try clicking on PC2Amiga. That's what solved my problem but like i said the speed is ridiculous.

amiganaut 02 March 2003 21:06

Ami-PC software and cable cost me £11.00. Its a file transfer facility that I use in the background when I want to transfer stuff from my Amiga to a PC to enable me then to transfer via fast PC network to CD burner on another machine. I burn software from Aminet straight to CD and then take the CD to my Amiga.

Ami-Pc is slow, but it works fine.

If you wanna proper network your gonna have to shell out close to £100. I just visited three sites off the web selling this kind of network. I guess your expecting Ami-PC to work like a hubbed network... well here's the thing It won't so give it up.

Read my earlier posting about using a cheap PC to back up stuff and transfer files from PC to Amiga.

I didn't say XP wouldn't work, I said I don't subscribe to using it cus its internet based and intuitive.

;)