English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New games that could have been commercially released? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16867)

StarEye 15 January 2005 16:03

New games that could have been commercially released?

I was just wondering, if there are games out there that have the same polish, depth or quality-controls as the commercially released games of the early/mid 90s, created by fans? Playing old games with WHDload certainly is fun for the nostalgic reasons, but what about something new every once in a while? I'm wondering, because the C64 still have games that could have been released back in the days coming out, like the Metal Warrior series.

Is the gaming side of the amiga scene totally dead now, or are there still som quality amateur games created? I want to see some new 2D platformers or racing-games in the style of Super Cars or Lotus!

Graham Humphrey 15 January 2005 17:16

You want a platform game? You're in luck - I'm developing one, it's nearly finished... don't know how I'm going to release it yet though, but I'll upload a demo when I can put one together. I won't tell you anything else about it for now... you'll have to wait! I've also got plans for other games, so I'm going to be busy. I've also got a game on Aminet called Blobz (game/misc/Blobz1.3.lha), which is my first ever game. It's not great, or very well programmed, and you need an '030 and 2MB of RAM to play it properly, which is entirely due to awful programming. (My new game should only need a 1MB A500 though.)

As for anyone else developing games..... dunno. We're especially lacking in games that need a low-spec machine to run, and that use the Amiga's hardware to its limits in old machines, rather than needing gfx cards and OS4. The gaming scene seems all but dead :( . Unless anyone knows different...

StarEye 15 January 2005 17:33

Great, I'm looking forward to it. I'll check out Blobz too, I've a 060 with 128mb fast, so speeds's not an issue (other than compatibility issues, if that's a problem).

Have this just been a hobby, or have you been in an "official" developement team or something?

Graham Humphrey 15 January 2005 17:40

No, it's a hobby. I'm still at school, and I've had a hectic time with exams recently so the time I can spend on it is cut short. I'm still a beginner really.

girv 15 January 2005 18:49

I wrote a game back in mid-late-90's-ish that was an update of the 8-bit "classic" Psycho Pigs UXB with fruit & veg instead of pigs. Seriously.

TURBO TOMATO!

- 5 worlds of super frenetic gameplay with non-linear level choice
- optional simultaneous 2 player cooperative play
- multiple enemies, special enemies, weapons, powerups, bonuses...
- 4 end of world super guardians and final boss
- 4 (maybe 5?) bonus subgames
- more or less OS friendly, runs on a draggable Intuition screen
- 50,000+ lines of 100% Pure British 68k
- absolutely no instructions
- not half as good as this blurb makes it sound

It was quite nearly finished and a German company who's name escapes me contacted me about publishing it, but nothing ever happened and its been languishing on my hard drive since Dec 10th 1997 (last build date, why do I remember that?!) I honestly don't think its commercial quality but what do I know? I'll see if I can dump a working (still buggy) version into the Zone. I was planning on doing that anyway then this thread came along :)

StarEye 15 January 2005 19:41

Nice, I'll look into it as soon as it's available. What kind of work does it need, if it's not finished? Maybe someone on this forum would be willing to finish it?

girv 16 January 2005 13:38

Its a bit twitchy on 060's with graphical glitches and the like and its also never been properly playtested all the way through for bugs or balance. I'm not 100% sure I finished coding the end of game boss or end end of game congratulations kinda thing either.

Nothing a good WHDLoad patch wouldnt sort out ;)