English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.CARE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   modifying games section. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13460)

redblade 30 April 2004 13:34

modifying games section.

Hmm, I'm not to good at reverse engineering games completely.. But I was wondering if you could add another part on modifying games.

I had the demo of Heroquest 2, from One Amiga. And after decrunching it, I ran a hex editor and started changing values here and there, and I was able to play with the other characters apart from the standard 2, give my self maximum magic/health, change starting items etc etc.

So if you could add a section on modifying, I could write some txt files of my notes, about where to change the file here and there to get different items etc etc.

Jim 30 April 2004 13:59

I'd have thought the place for that sort of thing would be the Coders section. Or maybe it's rightful place is here if AmiGer don't mind.

As this section & the coders section are relatively quiet compared to the rest of the board I don't think it dictates another new forum.

But alas I am a mere mortal on this board so I leave it to RCK & the other gods to decide.

AmiGer 30 April 2004 16:46

I've no problem about posting it in this section. If your notes are not too big you can create one thread for every game and paste your text into it. For bigger notes with gfx it's better to create a web page and to post the link only.
For creating a new section you have to ask RCK. But I think it's not necessary. Post it here or in the Coders section.

(I can rename this thread so you can take it for the Heroquest notes if you want)

redblade 01 May 2004 00:24

well what i mean is that I'll write my notes in .txt file. I'll email it to you AmiGer and then you can upload it to your CARE website so other people can hack into the same game etc etc.

AmiGer 02 May 2004 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by redblade
well what i mean is that I'll write my notes in .txt file. I'll email it to you AmiGer and then you can upload it to your CARE website so other people can hack into the same game etc etc.

No problem. But I can't verify your notes so you're responsible for the contents. I assume Pyro has some more free web space bytes for me so you can send me your files... Thanks.

Marcuz 03 May 2004 13:20

hey a section apart for this on the board is a very nice idea, i use to scramble hex myself since 1991 and it's one of the most entertaining things in games

redblade 04 May 2004 01:18

Well I only do stuff on demos, because I don't own the origional, and it is nice to get some extra features =]. Ie play with characters that you weren't supposed, get more turn points, etc etc.

Shrub 20 July 2005 12:58

I used to do a bit of hex editing. Frontier is a good one to play with. I modified one of the larger, hard coded solar systems so that it had 3, equal type and sized suns sharing the same orbit equidistantly, with 3 red giants orbiting each in the same manner, and 3 moons orbiting them. Space ballet.
I also changed one of the systems so that the planets and names matched those of Star Fox - Venom, McBeth, Corneria etc.
I couldn't find anything in the code that will create a new seed map for the rest of the galaxy, but I did find the groups of letters used to name all of them.

Road Rash was worth editing too - there was a difficulty value for each of the opponents racers, so I made one of the opponents for each level harder essentially giving you a nemesis to contend with.

Civilization's good too. You can easily change the amount of resources gained from each tile type. Setting sci, food, gold, and production to high levels meant the game developed extremely fast and with uncontrolable pollution lol

Carlos Ace 01 August 2005 00:59

Me and my brothers, 15 year ago we have modified/Edited Player Manager to have all portuguese teams and players, and i ´ve translated Kick Off to portuguese.Both games were the first ones to have a portuguese option and portuguese teams, and were spread. :great