English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Would LOVE some help with Wwarp :) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27931)

VermillioN 07 February 2007 14:17

Would LOVE some help with Wwarp :)

I bought myself a cyclone cartridge to backup all my original software and of course it worked for about 85%

So I'm trying to use Wwarp to do the job instead..

My knowledge of disk structure and memory addresses etc is fairly low, but I'd love to learn. Can anyone plz offer some help or point me to some decent resources?

I've read though the docs numerous times but there's obviously only so much it covers..

fyi the 1st three games I'm trying to backup are BAT, BAT II and Exile..
maybe a few of you will know straight away what copy protection they used.
Exile was a known format but I could not write back to disk as it claims I need the sybil hardware... poo.

here's my regular routine:
- 'wwarp XXX.wwp c'
- 'wwarp XXX.wwp f'
- 'wwarp XXX.wwp w'

of course none of them wrote successfully.. but can I safely say that the .wwp are %100 at least?

I know the docs explain how to write the image back - but have absolutely no idea what track length/sync etc to use :confused

now I could go on here about the different results I get using the 'c','f' and 'i' args for each game.. but I think I'll wait and see what response I get here 1st as it could all be for nothing :p

Codetapper 08 February 2007 11:02

WWarp is more for professional users and crackers, as the WWarp image contains the track data but (generally) you have to hack the game and work out the disk format before you can write it back. WWarp does know 30 or so formats that it can write back but this probably only covers 20% of games, and any with a custom protection track will usually fail.

Any MFM games that use their own format need the length and sync, and you have to disassemble the game to get the values for this (WinUAE can help here too). Contact your local cracker! Once the cracker has worked out the disk format, they can repack the WWarp file into the correct format by telling WWarp the correct sync and length so it can be written back (if it's not long tracks).

I can tell you Exile is just plain old AmigaDos except for the copylock track 1, and you will not be able to write that back. I suggest you use Galahad's crack or the WHDLoad install to play as you will not be able to make a 100% backup of the game from the original without hardware.

Can't help with BAT or BAT 2 sorry, never played those.

musashi5150 08 February 2007 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by VermillioN
So I'm trying to use Wwarp to do the job instead..

I think Codetapper has covered everything above. But I'll just add WWarp isn't meant to be a disk copying tool and you'll be best off searching for good cracks, WHDLoad or SPS (CAPS) versions instead.

If you are just trying to create backups of your original disks, and Cyclone won't work, then you are probably out of luck. Although using HD floppies sometimes gives good results with Copylocks (Exile) - it worked well when I copied 'The Lost Patrol' years ago from a friend...

I've heard that other hardware copiers (Synchro Express, Supercard Ami etc) sometimes can copy games that Cyclone can't... but it probably isn't worth your money trying to find out.

VermillioN 08 February 2007 13:32

Thanks guys that clears things up :)
Guess I'll be using decent cracks as backups after all..

Found some interesting cracking resources to.. looks hardcore I love it :D
maybe I'll devote the time to it one day... just not today lol..

cheers

musashi5150 08 February 2007 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by VermillioN
Found some interesting cracking resources too..

Are they on Flashtro.com or somewhere else? :)

VermillioN 08 February 2007 19:00

no they weren't actually - but thanks for the awesome link:great