English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Easier way to use Native AmigaClassic CF harddisks in FS-UAE ? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97632)

MrDBUG 02 June 2019 00:37

Easier way to use Native AmigaClassic CF harddisks in FS-UAE ?

Is it possible to make a more straightforward way of using Native AmigaClassic CF harddisks in FS-UAE ? I cant get this to work :-(
I had to use it in WinUAE/XP under VMware instead :-(

Foul 03 June 2019 14:12

i'm using it every day... exactly same config in my CF card/FS-UAE as my Real A1200 ;)
Connected with CF USB Reader on my PC.. and working since many years now :)

i'm using Linux but it's same way under windows : i just declared my CF/Reader in the config file : hard_drive_0 = /dev/sdf and no prob reading/writing the CF !

MrDBUG 05 June 2019 06:48

hmm did the exact same thing but FS UAE just says cant find HD
(hardfile / hd), in my case its a 3 partition CF on /dev/sdg (sdg1 / sdg2 / sdg3) :-(
Anyway I guess I should not hijack this betatest thread :-O :-D

amigafreak68k 05 June 2019 08:21

On which platform do you run FS-UAE?

BastyCDGS 05 June 2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDBUG (Post 1325527)
(hardfile / hd), in my case its a 3 partition CF on /dev/sdg (sdg1 / sdg2 / sdg3) :-(

Probably permission problem. Most(?) Linux distributions don't allow a normal user to access block devices directly.

To check this, try running fs-uae as root. If that works, you can change the permissions on /dev/sdg*, e.g. by creating a group amiga and adding your user to it and assign rw group permissions to /dev/sdg* after chown :amiga /dev/sdg*

To persist the changes on /dev/sdg*, you need to change udev rules.

BTW, it's safer to use /dev/disk/by-id or /dev/disk/by-uuid instead of /dev/sdg, because g can change upon reboots.

quantum8 05 June 2019 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDBUG (Post 1325527)

Have you adjusted the permissions to the card?

You usually have to apply 777 permision for fs-uae to be able to make full use of it.

Foul 05 June 2019 18:22

do not forget to do : sudo chmod 777 /dev/sdX to be able to read/write your hardware ;)

MrDBUG 05 June 2019 23:57

AHA ! Cool ! The permissions bit must be it !! Its on Linux ! Mint ! 18.3
EDIT: YES IT WAS THE permissions !
Sudo worked --- ! Now I just need to figure out what you guys said how to do this without sudo ! :-D (Unless I shall live dangerously !! :-D)
BEAUTIFUL !! This made me happy ! Thanks all !

quantum8 06 June 2019 07:43

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do this without sudo as you're changing permissions to a device.
Just make sure you double check the disk that you're applying this to is the correct one before you hit enter!

MrDBUG 07 June 2019 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by quantum8 (Post 1325774)
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do this without sudo as you're changing permissions to a device.
Just make sure you double check the disk that you're applying this to is the correct one before you hit enter!

Yeah I just wondered if by changing permissions to CF disk I could not have to run fs-uae as sudo !

quantum8 09 June 2019 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDBUG (Post 1325955)
Yeah I just wondered if by changing permissions to CF disk I could not have to run fs-uae as sudo !

In that case, yes you can run FS-UAE as a standard user after you run the permission change on the disk. You'll have to run the permission change each time you insert the disk.

I thought you mean running the permission change without sudo.