English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   LZX unpacking??? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=6555)

Medvind 22 September 2002 23:44

LZX unpacking???

I'm getting SOOOOOO tired of this "!##!"¤ LZX archiver. I've searched the net (and Aminet especially) for a working LZX un-packer. Preferably I would like one for windows, but I can't find one!

Anyone knows more about this than me??? And no LZX to LHA converter crap.

oldpx 23 September 2002 00:21

Hmm if you're using Directory Opus, you can add a menu command or a button to extract a lzx file.

Or try VooDoo-X from aminet. It requires MUI and some .mcc files which are also available from aminet.

check "W95unlzx" from aminet if you'd like to unlzx from windows.

Antiriad 23 September 2002 00:22

There is indeed a PC port of LZX called unlzx. Look it up on the net. Its unfortunately a MS-DOS prog but if you fiddle with your file associations and add the parameter "-x" (like me) whenever you then dblclick on a lzx archive itll unpack it in the same dir on your hard drive. If you want a reg port of this, let me know.

If you cant find it, let me know and ill put it in the Zone, but you should have no problems finding it.

oldpx 23 September 2002 00:23

It's an ms-dos prog yes but you can just create a shortcut of it and drag the lzx file on that shortcut to extract easily :)

Medvind 23 September 2002 00:47

Thanks guys! :)

Finally I've been able to extract my Monkey Island HD version. *phew*

Interesting btw, that you can make a shortcut and drag files to it? Didn't know about that.

Fissuras 23 September 2002 01:14

That's why I love Windows Commander... It can upack lzx files too!

Uukrul 23 September 2002 01:19

PC version of UnLzx is crap, because a lot of lzx archives are badly unpacked. DON'T USE IT!!!!

Use only the amiga version http://www.aminet.net/util/arc/lzx121r1.lha

oldpx 23 September 2002 01:21

Quote:

Interesting btw, that you can make a shortcut and drag files to it? Didn't know about that.
Strange thing is, it doesn't work by directly dragging to the exe. Well at least not on windows 2000.

Uukrul 23 September 2002 01:21

Quote:

Originally posted by Fissuras
That's why I love Windows Commander... It can upack lzx files too!
NO!!!!
Windows Commander version is only for a quick test or for reading text files. Don't use it for serious unpacking

Medvind 23 September 2002 01:34

Why, why, why do people use these programs to pack.

And when I finally succeded in unpacking, the games won't work! *sigh*

oldpx 23 September 2002 01:49

Uukrul is right, Windows Commander doesn't unpack properly. Never trust it!

Unregistered 23 September 2002 01:50

Quote:

Originally posted by bladesinger
Why, why, why do people use these programs to pack.

And when I finally succeded in unpacking, the games won't work! *sigh*

That's because the game hasn't been properly unpacked.

Twistin'Ghost 23 September 2002 05:21

@Bladesinger
It's an Amiga program. You're either going to have to make peace with that and use it under AmigaDOS or ask someone who uses this OS (real thing or in emulation) to unpack an archive for you. Simple as that. Every program should not neccesarily have to have a Windows equivalent. If this were the case, no choice would exist and thus, quality would be even lower than it already is. If everything was a Windows product, games like Lemmings may have never been created. The alternative world through the looking glass...it rules.

RetroMan 23 September 2002 11:07

Quote:

Originally posted by Burseg
Uukrul is right, Windows Commander doesn't unpack properly. Never trust it!
Strange :nervous I never had any problems with it :D

oldpx 23 September 2002 11:17

It sometimes skips files in archives, without extracting.

Fissuras 23 September 2002 12:21

Quote:

Originally posted by Uukrul

NO!!!!
Windows Commander version is only for a quick test or for reading text files. Don't use it for serious unpacking

Oh well, that's what I usually do, I only read the text files so that I can be pretty sure of what is really packed, but I did not know it was a bad unpacker.

Uukrul 23 September 2002 13:50

Quote:

Originally posted by RetroMan

Strange :nervous I never had any problems with it :D

That's because you can't know if the unpacked files have bad CRC or not.

The Windows Commander version surely is based on the source code from unlzx so it can't work well. I know it because I unpacked a lot of whdload games packed with lzx for rezipping them but when I tried to play the games 15-20% didn't work. That's a fact.

I've upped a lzx to the zone. Try to read the readme file with Windows Commander :)

RetroMan 23 September 2002 13:54

Quote:

Originally posted by Uukrul

That's because you can't know if the unpacked files have bad CRC or not.

I guess it´s more because I never unpacked any games with it :cheese

Medvind 23 September 2002 18:50

@ Twistin'Ghost
Yeah, you're right. Guess I'll have to learn about it the hard way. I'm upset about having forgotten so much since I last used my real amiga though :sad

Quote:

Originally posted by Unregistered

That's because the game hasn't been properly unpacked.

Hmm... maybe...
I get a yellow screen when loading the HD installed MI2, and MI1 won't even install.

Medvind 27 September 2002 04:04

HEY! Let's make this thread live again!

Actually I gave up installing Monkey Island for a while. But now I'm on it again using LZX from within Workbench. But when I unpack it says that most of the files are bad. The author of this file claimed that it became that way if you downloaded it on your PC first. Anyone know about this problem and how to solve it?

And furthermore, I have two "kind-of-working" HD installs of M.I. 1 now, but I can't save or load a game!! That's not very practical, and I don't trust the snapshot saving routine. I'm getting a bit bitter here :( Can't get any of my favourite games to work properly. I won't run them from floppy, I won't!

Help......:nervous