English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indivision AGA Mk2 CR (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=69938)

Loedown 06 July 2013 09:36

Indivision AGA Mk2 CR

I've had the pleasure of seeing one of these little devices in action today and the picture is absolutely clear. Credit where credit is due, Jens you did a good job on the design.

Retroplay 06 July 2013 12:05

The mailman just delivered mine. :spin

http://i.imgur.com/u0MgAiH.jpg

manic23 06 July 2013 13:20

I have to be honest, I brought one a few weeks ago and took it out a week later, the accompanying software is flakey at best, I mainly use my Miggy for games and if thats your thing then this is pretty much useless, games do not look good with the AGA MKII, no smooth scrolling etc. I will be selling mine soon on AmiBay.

Retroplay 06 July 2013 13:25

Oh crap.. :(

In that case I'll use it in my spare A1200. ;)

Loedown 06 July 2013 15:34

I've heard all the too and fro on the device, I would think Jens is a very good hardware technician but fairly ordinary on software from what I've read.

If people have an idea about how much time and effort goes into making these little adapters and interfaces I am sure they would be more understanding. From a hardware technician point of view I like the design and implementation and from what I saw today I was impressed.

fitzsteve 06 July 2013 15:46

If you want smooth scrolling and to see Games how they were meant to be played/displayed then go for an old Skool CRT.

If you want to use a high resolution Workbench on a modern LCD then the Indivision is a must have, just don't expect miracles, you're plugging new hardware into a 20 year old computer to display on a modern screen, this isn't how the A1200 was meant to be used so of course purists will not get the experience they expect from Games.

As for the config tool, it's still in Beta, I'm sure in time it will become easier to use :great

manic23 06 July 2013 18:06

Just to clarlfy, Im not dissing the device at all, I think that it's great that stuff like this is still made for the amiga in 2013, im sure for some it's a really great little bit of kit, I'm just saying that as pure old school gamer it's not for me that's all.

Retroplay 06 July 2013 18:21

I installed it my main A1200 anyway.

Nice clear and crisp picture on my old Samsung 1100DF 21" CRT.
Games looks great too tbh.

It's there to stay for sure. :great

mikrucio 23 July 2013 03:17

My Indivision ECS has ghosting.

Got a ticket with Amiga kit, still open for 2 weeks now lol, no one has even looked at it.
There are many users with issues with ghosting. Although it sounds as the though the AGA version is better....

demolition 23 July 2013 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikrucio (Post 901325)
My Indivision ECS has ghosting. There are many users with issues with ghosting. Although it sounds as the though the AGA version is better....

The ECS can do 50 Hz+vsync (well, when it's in the mood for it), the MkII can't, so for gaming stuff, the ECS is better.

Ghosting is caused by signal reflections on the cables or rather the ends of the cable where they are connected. If you are using a low quality VGA cable it is not uncommon to see ghosting, so if you have another one try to see if that changes anything. In this case thicker is usually better.

mikrucio 23 July 2013 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 901329)
The ECS can do 50 Hz+vsync (well, when it's in the mood for it), the MkII can't, so for gaming stuff, the ECS is better.

Ghosting is caused by signal reflections on the cables or rather the ends of the cable where they are connected. If you are using a low quality VGA cable it is not uncommon to see ghosting, so if you have another one try to see if that changes anything. In this case thicker is usually better.

i suspected its the header cable from the ECS.
its not the monitor cable. My Sony CRT monitor is awesome.

its a piece of low quality chinese crap.
nothing I can do about it. Iv even tried tagging on a ferrite core to the crappy thing. nothing works.

demolition 23 July 2013 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikrucio (Post 901335)
i suspected its the header cable from the ECS.

Can you see the image change when you move that cable around?

I get some noise on mine depending on its location relative to the MB, but it still shouldn't create ghosting, which is an impedance mismatch either in the ribbon to VGA cable transition or at the monitor end of the VGA cable.

mikrucio 23 July 2013 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 901339)
Can you see the image change when you move that cable around?

I get some noise on mine depending on its location relative to the MB, but it still shouldn't create ghosting, which is an impedance mismatch either in the ribbon to VGA cable transition or at the monitor end of the VGA cable.

Thanks for trying to help but its not the monitor once again.
I plug it into my 3 laptops with absolutely no ghosting at all.

I have played with the ribbon cable,moving it does nothing.
iv even tried another similar one. the grounding cable they give you
does jack all. iv got it attached though. just for shits and giggles.

no joy.

klx300r 25 July 2013 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by manic23 (Post 898461)
I have to be honest, I brought one a few weeks ago and took it out a week later, the accompanying software is flakey at best, I mainly use my Miggy for games and if thats your thing then this is pretty much useless, games do not look good with the AGA MKII, no smooth scrolling etc. I will be selling mine soon on AmiBay.

are you referring to the MKIIcr as the title of this thread suggests or the MKII?
I recently installed the MKIIcr in my 1200 (rev1d4) and it worked great straight out of the box (haven't tried the tool program yet). WB looks great at 1024x768 with 16 colours and all my WHDLoad games work great too. I've had to add a fan and put a small heat sink on Alice as I noticed some arifacts on the screen initially due to heat (I have a 'real' 2.5" HD) but now all is fine.

Turran 25 July 2013 23:44

Those artifacts can also be from the lack of power from your PSU.

I had the same thing and I had to install 2 small fans and heatsinks. Then I read it could be because the chips had to pull harder or something (yeah, do not remember the technical term) due to the PSU so I changed to an ATX PSU and could remove the fans =)

demolition 25 July 2013 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by klx300r (Post 901762)
are you referring to the MKIIcr as the title of this thread suggests or the MKII?

Feature and performance-wise they are identical, so none of them will be good for games which require smooth scrolling (aka most Amiga games). Adventure games are good on it though. :)

gnujon 26 July 2013 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 901764)
Feature and performance-wise they are identical, so none of them will be good for games which require smooth scrolling (aka most Amiga games). Adventure games are good on it though. :)

It depends how fussy you are I guess. I find the scrolling smooth enough for games to be playable. You can't really expect it to be perfect considering it's converting 50Hz PAL video to be within VGA spec. If you can get hold of a VGA monitor that can handle 50Hz and you set your Indi to 50Hz mode, I would imagine the scrolling should look a lot better.

FreakyDan 26 July 2013 22:57

I have a monitor that supports 50hz, but how do I set the Indivision to 50Hz mode??

gnujon 30 July 2013 16:24

You can download the latest versions of the config tool and the cores here:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK2

FreakyDan 30 July 2013 19:58

I have those files, but I am unable to change the output to 50hz. Its locked to 60hz.