English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75965)

amigakit.com 27 November 2014 18:04

A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint

A-EON Technology is pleased to announce that it has taken over the development of Personal Paint from Cloanto. The two companies had already started to cooperate in 2014 which resulted in the release of Personal Paint 7.2 and 7.3. These are the first new versions for several years, with the latest native versions available now on AMIStore for both AmigaOS 4.1 and AmigaOS 3.x.

As part of the agreement A-EON will exclusively develop and own all future AmigaOS versions of Personal Paint (including possible MorphOS and AROS ports). Additionally, A-EON and Cloanto will share joint ownership of Classic Amiga versions up to version 7.2, while Cloanto may continue to work on future non-Amiga versions.

Matthew Leaman, A-EON Managing Director, said, "A-EON Technology is proud to conclude this agreement with Cloanto. Personal Paint always had a strong following with Classic Amiga users and we are excited to drive it's future." Trevor Dickinson, A-EON’s co-founder added, "I've been an avid user of Personal Paint for many years. It became the leading easy-to-use Amiga program for bitmapped graphics and animation and was one of the first to support AGA and RTG graphics. These advanced features allowed Personal Paint to replace Deluxe Paint in Commodore's Amiga computer software bundles."

Personal Paint was the first commercial Amiga graphics program to break the 2Mb chip RAM barrier and to support PowerPC CPUs. However, it also included numerous other unique features which made it a favourite with many Classic Amiga owners. These included: professional colour reduction and merge, multiple brushes, filters, animation, file format plugins and stereograms together with PostScript and 24-bit printing. The constant reinvention of the possible applications of animated GIFs (also thanks to the expiration of related patents) helped drive continued demand for Personal Paint's exceptional support for palette based modes and optimised GIF code.

Cloanto's Michael C. Battilana commented on the transfer, "I am delighted to see future Amiga Personal Paint development efforts in the hands of an extremely motivated and talented team. I would also like to pay special thanks to Trevor. Without his generous commitment, the Amiga community wouldn't be as alive and kicking as it still is today."

PDF Press Release

The older 7.1c archive will be available to download from the official PPaint website:

http://ppaint.amistore.net

This domain is still in the process of propogating with DNS servers around the world so it wont be available everywhere until during the next 24-48 hours

crasbe 27 November 2014 20:07

Why did you remove Personal Paint from aminet?

DDNI 27 November 2014 20:27

Hmmm. Will this affect the ClassicWB packs?

amigakit.com 27 November 2014 21:10

@crasbe

We plan to offer a free version from the A-EON servers directly instead.

It is very exciting that after 10 years, development in a new Classic Amiga version of PPaint has been completed and paid for.

The new PPaint 7.3 Classic is available in digital download form on AMIStore and will be available from AmigaKit soon.

DDNI 27 November 2014 22:01

I don't understand what benefit you or users get by the free version not being on Aminet.

Almost every Amiga user knows and uses Aminet. I suspect that you would drive more people to the AEon servers if you changed the Aminet readme to direct people to a newer improved commercial version.

amigakit.com 27 November 2014 22:07

The new Personal Paint 7.3 Classic (and PPC) version has the following features:-

● Works with the Classic AmigaOS and AmigaOS4.1 and and emulation under WinUAE and Amiga Forever
● Totally integrated with the AmigaOS Workbench
● Supports AmigaOS screen dragging
● Smoother interaction with the OS4 screen dragging system
● True colour animation frame thumbs in the StoryBoard window
● High resolution gadget imagery and thin borders style GUI option for a more modern look
● 9 new built in brush shapes
● 100 new Custom Brushes
● Pressure sensitive drawing
● Dithered transparency
● New Airbrush Linemode
● Extended paint functionality with image processing tool

Dunny 27 November 2014 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by amigakit.com (Post 988763)
@crasbe

We plan to offer a free version from the A-EON servers directly instead.

It is very exciting that after 10 years, development in a new Classic Amiga version of PPaint has been completed and paid for.

The new PPaint 7.3 Classic is available in digital download form on AMIStore and will be available from AmigaKit soon.

Just pop it in the zone, luv, there's a dear.

D.

huepper 27 November 2014 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by amigakit.com (Post 988771)
The new Personal Paint 7.3 Classic (and PPC) version has the following features:-

● Works with the Classic AmigaOS and AmigaOS4.1 and and emulation under WinUAE and Amiga Forever
● Totally integrated with the AmigaOS Workbench
● Supports AmigaOS screen dragging
● Smoother interaction with the OS4 screen dragging system
● True colour animation frame thumbs in the StoryBoard window
● High resolution gadget imagery and thin borders style GUI option for a more modern look
● 9 new built in brush shapes
● 100 new Custom Brushes
● Pressure sensitive drawing
● Dithered transparency
● New Airbrush Linemode
● Extended paint functionality with image processing tool

7.1 works also on Classic and OS4.x and under WinUAE or FS-UAE.
All other features i think (i don't know) will be used under OS4.x, not Classic. (?)

What will be the price ?

amigakit.com 27 November 2014 23:08

All the features are for Classic also.

huepper 27 November 2014 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by amigakit.com (Post 988780)
All the features are for Classic also.

Ok, thanks. :)

Michael Sykes 27 November 2014 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDNI (Post 988770)
... I suspect that you would drive more people to the AEon servers if you changed the Aminet readme to direct people to a newer improved commercial version.

I could not agree more...

Minuous 28 November 2014 05:06

Get it from here before it's gone forever: ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/mirrors/ami...oan/PPaint.lha

See the thread on amiga.org for my opinion on this deplorable turn of events.

Bamiga2002 28 November 2014 08:10

Second that, why remove it from Aminet?

ptyerman 28 November 2014 08:54

Cloanto removed it from Aminet when A-EON took over development.

Hewitson 28 November 2014 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minuous (Post 988808)
See the thread on amiga.org for my opinion on this deplorable turn of events.

Got a link for that? Don't want to spend any more time on that lame site than necessary.

Bamiga2002 28 November 2014 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptyerman (Post 988827)
Cloanto removed it from Aminet when A-EON took over development.

Why didn't they say this in the first place then so we could flak Cloanto instead? :p

amigakit.com 28 November 2014 10:49

@Minuous
Quote:

deplorable turn of events
we are putting cold hard cash and lots of time into developing PPaint for Classic Amiga - this is really exciting for users who love using PPaint on their Amiga 1200! New Classic commercial development in 2014 - who would have thought it?

Already PPaint has been updated twice for Classic Amigas: 7.2 and now 7.3

More upgrades are planned soon! As someone who uses my A1200 every day, I think this is worth celebrating :)

Ill post some pics of the new PPaint running on my A1200 this weekend.

Dunny 28 November 2014 11:39

What have sales been like recently? And how many sales did Cloanto make of PPaint on its own?

D.

amigakit.com 28 November 2014 11:55

Sales have been very encouraging so far and we are grateful for the positive feedback from the Amiga community urging us to commission ongoing development on their favourite applications. It is exciting to add increasingly more feature requests from users - stay tuned for updates.

Of course everyone realises that development is not a cheap process and the programmers we contract need to feed their families, but we are trying hard to kickstart the dormant Amiga software scene again - it has been too long since new commercial software for Classic Amigas have been produced.

amigoun 28 November 2014 12:24

Does the new version of PPaint support Truecolor or still limited to 256colors?