English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Official update to OS 3.1 from Hyperion (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84430)

eXeler0 13 October 2016 13:45

Official update to OS 3.1 from Hyperion

http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk

wawa 13 October 2016 14:19

oha. the changelog reads overwhelming. most prominently replaced genuine copyright notes and logos, who knows, maybe there is some funds to be made that way again. well worth ten euros.

TuKo 13 October 2016 15:26

It doesn't even support >4GB disks, isn't it ? What's the purpose of that useless update ? Cloanto already did 3.X for that purpose...

eXeler0 13 October 2016 15:31

Its probably to remind everyone they hold the license. A new 3.1 branch seems pretty useless considering all that was done on 3.5 and 3.9... And as already mentioned, the Cloanto fixes...

FOL 13 October 2016 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1116252)
Its probably to remind everyone they hold the license. A new 3.1 branch seems pretty useless considering all that was done on 3.5 and 3.9... And as already mentioned, the Cloanto fixes...

I was hoping for lots of updates, enough to warrant Kickstart 3.2.
It was nice to boot it up and see the updated logo though, :).

TuKo 13 October 2016 17:00

Seems it's Ratte's boing ball... available on Aminet since 3 years.

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/romboot44_3

wawa 13 October 2016 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 1116271)
It was nice to boot it up and see the updated logo though, :).

if thats what this update is for, then i must admit im rather convinced with the genuine stuff. never understood boing ball fetish, except it apparently isnt guarded by any exclusivity or licenses, so anybody can use it for what he likes.

frank_b 13 October 2016 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawa (Post 1116278)
if thats what this update is for, then i must admit im rather convinced with the genuine stuff. never understood boing ball fetish, except it apparently isnt guarded by any exclusivity or licenses, so anybody can use it for what he likes.

I thought Cloanto had the rights? There are two 3.x rom sources now?

wawa 13 October 2016 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_b (Post 1116279)
I thought Cloanto had the rights? There are two 3.x rom sources now?

hyperion appears to have a license, they have issued rom images as content of an update to os4 along with some desktop backgrounds already years ago.

Olaf Barthel 13 October 2016 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuKo (Post 1116274)
Seems it's Ratte's boing ball... available on Aminet since 3 years.

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/romboot44_3

No, it's the original Boing! ball, as produced by the 1986 demo (that's the date stamp of the demo code; I believe the original demo predates Commodore's acquisition of the Los Gatos Amiga, Inc., so it's probably 1-2 years older). The demo is hard coded to render the ball (it is referred to as "globe" in the code) using a specific number of latitudes and longitudes, calculating the edge coordinates of each facet. The 1986 code even takes NTSC and PAL aspect ratio correction into account. Well done, indeed :)

I extracted those facet coordinates and replaced the checkmark image with it, back in April 1998 (no functional changes). That variant had one limitation: it assumed a square pixel aspect ratio. It also had a few more bugs, which were not fixed until it was rewritten in 'C' for AmigaOS 4.0.

The version in the new Kickstart ROM is an updated version of the 1998 assembly language variant. The "strap" module update was needed because the copyright text had become significantly longer than it used to be, and the position and the layout of the printed text needed to be taken into account.

I also couldn't resist adding the missing, proper pixel aspect ratio scaling for NTSC displays ;)

spoUP 13 October 2016 18:38

Very nice work Olaf!
I know you put in shitloads of hours to get this to compile with todays tool chains.
I hope this is just the beginning of something wonderful! It would be awesome to see wb 3.1 be taken forward the right way!

Olaf Barthel 13 October 2016 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawa (Post 1116278)

The Boing! ball used to be a trademark of Amiga, Inc. (Los Gatos).

Commodore replaced it with the rainbow-coloured checkmark image, which likely was intended to hint at the capabilities of the machine, as opposed to what the competitors at the time (this being the black/white Apple Macintosh and the Atari ST) could do.

With Commodore gone, the Boing! ball was revived. It was after all the original Amiga logo, when Amiga was still independent.

Overflow 13 October 2016 19:40

I do hope its the start of a new batch of AOS 3.x updates. Im quite happy with my current 3.9 setup (after tons of guidance from Mech+trial and error), but having a readily available ISO purchasable and downloadable would be nice.

Having to hunt high and low to get your AOS 3.x set up is a pain, espesially for returning users that have forgotten everything.

A Workbench Update feature to retrive new patches would be bliss, so you get a heads up each time a new library or whatever is made available.

So there is defintly a market for this.

frank_b 13 October 2016 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel (Post 1116292)
The Boing! ball used to be a trademark of Amiga, Inc. (Los Gatos).

Commodore replaced it with the rainbow-coloured checkmark image, which likely was intended to hint at the capabilities of the machine, as opposed to what the competitors at the time (this being the black/white Apple Macintosh and the Atari ST) could do.

With Commodore gone, the Boing! ball was revived. It was after all the original Amiga logo, when Amiga was still independent.

Oh :) Does this mean more goodies going forward for the OS from you? I prefer the check mark btw :D You did great work on 3.5! The thought of evolving 3.x sounds great.

klx300r 13 October 2016 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1116237)

hold up...it's not April 1st tofay:D

Amiga1992 13 October 2016 20:08

This update brings NOTHING worth a purchase or update. I don't want my Amiga displaying a boing ball even less their filthy names.

Lord Aga 13 October 2016 20:26

I like the checkmark better :(

eXeler0 13 October 2016 20:35

@Olaf, was there any kind of dialogue between Hyperion and Cloanto before this was done?

I think a lot of ppl will agree its confusing to have two parallel official, but slightly different distributions of OS 3.1

trixster 13 October 2016 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1116305)
This update brings NOTHING worth a purchase or update. I don't want my Amiga displaying a boing ball even less their filthy names.

Absolutely agreed.

DamienD 13 October 2016 21:07

Yup, same here :agree