English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   HOL data problems (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   If I could exterminate two kinds of people (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=8433)

Walker 27 January 2003 21:00

If I could exterminate two kinds of people

1. Leechers. HOL is down. Thanks a lot, idiots.

2. Virus makers. Thanks to you, I hardly got no sleep at all this weekend and missed a lot of nice IRC conversations. I hate you.

Drake1009 27 January 2003 21:33

Sad to see HOL is down because of the leechers.

And what virus did you get Walker and how? I think I might've gotten one yesterday evening, at any rate my Win2k setup won't load anymore not that I really care what that hunk of junk does.

Walker 27 January 2003 21:41

Quote:

Originally posted by Drake1009
And what virus did you get Walker and how? I think I might've gotten one yesterday evening, at any rate my Win2k setup won't load anymore not that I really care what that hunk of junk does.
I didn't get any myself, but our customers (I work with server support and management) were hit by the SQL Slammer Worm and I worked day and night patching servers.

Ian 27 January 2003 21:44

say what now, the HOL has been leeched ...... AGAIN!!!??? (Assuming that's what that idiot was doing when RCK was in Thailand)

Twistin'Ghost 27 January 2003 21:47

/me is confused (and shocked!) :shocked

Drake1009 27 January 2003 22:13

Sorry to hear that Walker. That thing is annoying or so I hear. And it's like 6 months old, is patched long time ago.

Twistin'Ghost 27 January 2003 22:14

What is the story on HOL and the leechers? Is HOL closed for good now?

Ian 27 January 2003 22:18

I doubt it'll be closed for good, not after all the work you guys have put into it.

I knew this would happen though, it sucks. Hopefully RCK can find a way to stop these f*ckw*ts in there tracks.

CodyJarrett 27 January 2003 22:20

The first leecher stole 7.73 GB of bandwidth last week while RCK was away.

The second leecher got 982.43 MB today before RCK shut down the HOL.

RCK is working on the problem, so hopefully the HOL will only be down for a couple of days.

It's not an issue of us owning the screenshots or box scans, because we don't. The issue is about individuals taking advantage of RCK's goodwill in running the server for free - these people hog all the bandwidth, which should be shared between everybody.

Also, I don't want to see someone taking all the images and using them on their own website, complete with pop-up adverts and a nice profit for them.

Fred the Fop 27 January 2003 22:34

The double barrels, how large are all of them combined?

CodyJarrett 27 January 2003 22:37

About 130Mb. The boxscans are the big files.

Mr Creosote 27 January 2003 22:52

Umm.... what kind of leeching is this? Has someone downloaded the whole site and put the images up on his own site or did anyone used direct image links? :confused

CodyJarrett 27 January 2003 22:57

People are downloading the whole site, but I haven't seen the images on any other website.

Mr Creosote 27 January 2003 23:06

People are just too stupid to understand the consequences of their actions :mad

Fred the Fop 27 January 2003 23:18

RCK, Walker, Cody, Twist and the rest of you HOL fellers. How about you guys ask webmasters/administrators of other image heavy database sites how they cope with the leeching? They may offer some useful info. Take www.thelegacy.de
for example!

Codetapper 28 January 2003 05:49

Hippee^2000 can help!

I'm sure Hippee/BTTR can help RCK - he has coded lots of things which stop robots and leechers. Some kind of detection to see that it's a bot leeching rather than "random" human browsing.

Just to begin with, could you make each person that accesses HOL require a login/password and use the EAB one? That way robots would never be able to get in and leech the site.

-SolidSnake- 28 January 2003 08:06

mhm, guess RCK can make the HOL archive only for abime members, that you have to be registered at the forum to enter... and you enter you're forum nick and passw to enter?

Fred the Fop 28 January 2003 08:18

I don't agree, Code and Solid. That would limit HOL to 600 people. I'd guess Twist and the gang would like potentially millons to able to access their labour of love. But yeah, try Hippie 2000 and Mishra of Legacy. Also, let's not forget the great www.retrobase.de/. Ask these guys, they have massive image DB's and aare still up. Something can be done without resorting to desperate measures. Logical, no?

CodyJarrett 28 January 2003 08:22

abime.net also hosts a lot of other things too e.g. EAB, the Zone, Kaillera, WHDLoad program downloads, WinUAE website etc.

Paul 28 January 2003 09:22

Quote:

Originally posted by Drake1009 HOL is down because of the leechers.
:mad :scream :mad :scream :mad

It’s a shame someone would spoil it for everyone else :sad

Hope RCK can find a way to stop them doing this.