English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Modern display options...? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28054)

Christian 15 February 2007 12:50

Modern display options...?

After looking at various posts about modern display options I am a bit confused. Here's what I would like for a WHD Amiga 1200 (Mainly game use but occasional Workbench - no graphics card)

Ideally a TFT screen (but would consider a modern flat CRT)

Smooth 50Hz scrolling

Scanlines for low-res (like an RGB monitor)

RGB or VGA signal (no composite)

White to match the miggy (only kidding :) )

Basically, I like the look of Winuae on my TFT monitor when using scanlines and wish to replicate this with a real Amiga.

I guess my options are;

Scandoubler/Flicker-fixer - from what I understand this would not give a scanline effect and everthing would be "too clear" (like doubled in Winuae)? What would this be like into a 50Hz capable TFT screen? Also, they seem very hard to get hold of.

RGB capable TVs - I guess a CRT TV would give the results I'm after but ideally I'd like it to fit on a desk. LCD TVs don't look like they do scanlines but use blurring when upscaling. I guess I could live with this if the scrolling was dead smooth....

XRGB box - these appear to replicate scanlines and sound ideal but I'm wondering what they would be like plugged into a TFT. Would the scanlines get messed up due to the upscaling, etc?

Any other suggestions? Bear in mind I'm after a modern display - no old monitors.

Edit: typo

Jope 15 February 2007 18:49

You'll need one of those "console scandoublers" like the X-RGB.

Make sure that the scandoubler you get outputs the same resolution as is your panel's native resolution. Else it will look really bad.

Christian 15 February 2007 22:55

Thanks for the reply Jope :)

Yes, I think the XRGB box can output to my monitors res (1280 x 1024)

rsn8887 15 February 2007 22:57

how can you get smooth 50 Hz scrolling on a tft though?

Christian 16 February 2007 01:06

Well, some can do it. The one I've got can. It also works when adding a PAL resolution using the Nvidia drivers (but not with Powerstrip for some reason) :confused

Jope 16 February 2007 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian
Yes, I think the XRGB box can output to my monitors res (1280 x 1024)

My X-RGB2 can only do 640x480 and 1024x768.

alexh 16 February 2007 10:10

If you get an LCDTV that has SCART and VGA inputs it would be a better solution.

Jope 16 February 2007 11:02

I'd go with alexh on this.. At least it will scale up to the native resolution of the panel.

dambuster 19 February 2007 18:29

My £130 Digitrex from Dixons, and the young lads Technosonic from TJ Hughes -ie no name Brands- 15" LCD TV's work great Pictures sharp and stable on normal resolutions - ie non interlaced.

Christian 20 February 2007 20:02

Ok - thanks guys :)

LCD TV it is then