English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Automatic scaling testing (from beta thread) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41616)

TCD 26 December 2008 15:55

Automatic scaling testing (from beta thread)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 491963)
Does not (cannot) work with all programs. Why did I finally do this? Because "magic mouse" sync mode required position of display start and end and it was more or less the same was required for automatic scaling.. And also because filter internal algorithms are finally good enough. And it is (was) Christmas :)

Thank you very much for this Christmas present :great Just had a quick look with a few games and all seems fine so far (640x480 fullscreen and the whole screen is used).

Retro-Nerd 26 December 2008 16:15

Looks like a great update Toni. :great

Quote:

Perhaps there should be button in quickstart panel to disable or enable autoscaling because not everyone likes blurry display to become the default..
That's true. :)

turrican3 26 December 2008 16:34

Thank you Toni for this great feature : :bowdown automatic display scaling! :bowdown.

thomas 26 December 2008 16:49

Quote:

automatic display scaling!
- Autoscale setting is not saved into config file. It is always on after loading a config.
- Scaled picture does not fit on screen. Top left is fine but bottom right is off screen.
- when dragging the Workbench screen, it is stretched instead of moved, i.e. the top stays where it is and the bottom is moved down.

Quote:

- Null filter is default and non-filter mode is not anymore possible.
I don't like this. Makes everything horribly slow. Workbench needs three times longer to boot.

Retro-Nerd 26 December 2008 16:58

I notice no delay with enabled Null filter (without auto-scaling), i.e. the ClassicWB boots with the same speed as before.

Toni Wilen 26 December 2008 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 491973)
- Autoscale setting is not saved into config file. It is always on after loading a config.

This is my way to force everyone to test it.

Quote:

- Scaled picture does not fit on screen. Top left is fine but bottom right is off screen.
This:
Quote:

- the better this gets the more comments I get.. (which means screenshot and complete name and/or CRC32)
Quote:

- when dragging the Workbench screen, it is stretched instead of moved, i.e. the top stays where it is and the bottom is moved down.
This probably can never be properly fixed.

Quote:

I don't like this. Makes everything horribly slow. Workbench needs three times longer to boot.
I expected this which is one reason I didn't want to do this earlier. Generally any modern (as in at least PCI) display card should handle this without slowdowns.

Does it happen even if you use quickstart setting without default.uae and without any scaling? (PC specs?)

This needs to be solved because I refuse to return to old method because it makes everything too complex.

EDIT: checked log? it can get really slow if something writes to log continuously.

Toni Wilen 26 December 2008 17:34

Moved from beta thread. I think this thread can grow really big..

Shoonay 26 December 2008 17:37

Forgot my post Toni... :cheese

Marcuz 26 December 2008 20:05

1 Attachment(s)
there's some garbled thing here about autoscaling: i'm sorry if cannot be clearer, but i've understood it poorly myself.

If you change from Full Screen to D3D (possibly to all the other filters, as they scale in different way) it may keep the "null Filter" settings in the new environment, instead f the new one.

It happens in both modes fllscreen and windowed; to test it:

let's play a bit with autoscale enabled; > F12 > disable autoscale > test it (you'll notice size and position of the screen) > F12 > reinable it, play a bit then again F12 and set Direct3D: the position of the screen is not the one you would have if you would first slect D3d and then autoscale.

Then if you play a bit again, switching to no filter at all, you may have bouncing screen as result (quickly switching between 2 different positions)

In the attached logs i quitted the emulation when one of such flashing things occurred (and there should be trace of the misplacing i typed about).

Ian 26 December 2008 20:40

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I get when running the Direct3D filter. (Using 32-bit Bilinear if it makes a difference)

If I press f12 and click on any of options (Filter, output, input etc.etc.) it resizes the screen until the next screen mode change when it goes back to the unscaled size.

I used hires (normal) and single line for the image but it's the same with all other configurations.

Tested using CD32 settings and Pinball Fantasies (1993)(21st Century)[!].

Ed Cruse 27 December 2008 00:29

1 Attachment(s)
Auto Scaling actually works. :) The only thing that doesn't work so good is Productivity mode. I'm using the Scale2x filter, full screen, and filter sliders all set to 0. Windowed mode works also, with the same problem with Productivity mode. Screen shot attached. One thing that might not be obvious on the screen shot, the Amiga screen extens above the display, I can grab things with the mouse but I can't see them.

amiga 27 December 2008 10:40

@Ed Cruse:

Try setting "Resolution" to "Super Hires" in WinUAE "Display" panel settings.
Productivity screen modes require it.

Toni Wilen 27 December 2008 11:21

Programmed modes may not work (I didn't even test them yet..)

Idea: What about "inverted" autoscale? In windowed mode window is resized to Amiga display size? (like RTG mode normally)

Easy to implement but I want to know if it is pointless enough to implement :)

EDIT: already implemented. Quite fun feature..

Marcuz 27 December 2008 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 492197)
Idea: What about "inverted" autoscale? In windowed mode window is resized to Amiga display size? (like RTG mode normally)

Easy to implement but I want to know if it is pointless enough to implement :)

my 2 cents:

as autoscale is implemented for drawing tables mostly and drawing tables are used mostly in Workbench environments, and therefore dependant to workbench resolutions, then it's better to have the display resize instead the window.

it's true that even with the window resized, you could eventually twice (could you?) the filtered display with the [FS - 1x - 2x] options, but it's better as it is now for readability reasons.

anyway, i would like to stress that autoscale option should not ever be on by default: it's too unstable imho.

:)

Toni Wilen 27 December 2008 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 492219)
my 2 cents:

as autoscale is implemented for drawing tables mostly and drawing tables are used mostly in Workbench environments, and therefore dependant to workbench resolutions, then it's better to have the display resize instead the window.

it's true that even with the window resized, you could eventually twice (could you?) the filtered display with the [FS - 1x - 2x] options, but it's better as it is now for readability reasons.

anyway, i would like to stress that autoscale option should not ever be on by default: it's too unstable imho.

:)

What? It has nothing to do with drawing tablets. I don't understand your post at all..

And just saying "unstable": really useful information..

EDIT: autoscale/autosizing is basically for those people that always complain about borders in games/demos (even if there are borders when using real Amigas..). It has nothing to do with "productivity" stuff.

Marcuz 27 December 2008 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 492221)
What? It has nothing to do with drawing tablets. I don't understand your post at all..

uhm...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 491963)
Why did I finally do this? Because "magic mouse" sync mode required position of display start and end and it was more or less the same was required for automatic scaling.. And also because filter internal algorithms are finally good enough. And it is (was) Christmas :)

i thought magic mouse was about the input of the stylus of the tablet and the emulated area being just a size of the window, while the tablet input covers the whole window.
probably i am mistaken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 492221)
And just saying "unstable": really useful information..

uhm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 492023)
there's some garbled thing here about autoscaling: i'm sorry if cannot be clearer, but i've understood it poorly myself.

If you change from Full Screen to D3D (possibly to all the other filters, as they scale in different way) it may keep the "null Filter" settings in the new environment, instead f the new one.

It happens in both modes fllscreen and windowed; to test it:

let's play a bit with autoscale enabled; > F12 > disable autoscale > test it (you'll notice size and position of the screen) > F12 > reinable it, play a bit then again F12 and set Direct3D: the position of the screen is not the one you would have if you would first slect D3d and then autoscale.

Then if you play a bit again, switching to no filter at all, you may have bouncing screen as result (quickly switching between 2 different positions)

In the attached logs i quitted the emulation when one of such flashing things occurred (and there should be trace of the misplacing i typed about).

Toni Wilen 27 December 2008 19:48

You can generally expect that direct3d/opengl are borken until it really is said in changelogs..

thomas 28 December 2008 11:39

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

- the better this gets the more comments I get.. (which means screenshot and complete name and/or CRC32)
Workbench 3.1, display 800 x 600, screen mode PAL:HighRes Interlaced, overscan 724 x 283 (= maximum).

Hardcopies:
- without filters
- with filters without autoscale
- with autoscale

fourth hardcopy: with filters without autoscale; after Alt-Tab to Windows and back, the black border is not cleared.

Marcuz 28 December 2008 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 492291)
You can generally expect that direct3d/opengl are borken until it really is said in changelogs..

i don't think D3D is faulty: i was able to reproduce the mess just swapping 2 times between autoscale (so null filter) and no filter.

Windows' display (winuae was running fullscreen) stayed flashing and unuseable even after winuae crashed and i had to reset the PC.

Toni Wilen 28 December 2008 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 492491)
i don't think D3D is faulty: i was able to reproduce the mess just swapping 2 times between autoscale (so null filter) and no filter.

Windows' display (winuae was running fullscreen) stayed flashing and unuseable even after winuae crashed and i had to reset the PC.

D3D is broken (in autoscale). Fullscreen is another part that is generally ALWAYS broken in first betas if some bigger changes have been done.

No filters/null filter + windowed is the only mode that is guaranteed to work in every beta. (at least mostly..)