English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Matt interviews Chris Avellone (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52839)

mattbarton.exe 18 May 2010 14:06

Matt interviews Chris Avellone

Hi, folks. I'm back this week with the first installment of my interview with Chris Avellone, Creative Director of Obsidian Entertainment and lead designer of Planescape: Torment. I'm not sure how many episodes I'll do with Avellone, but the next episode will definitely focus on P:T. He also had some interesting thoughts on turn-based vs. real-time, and some good advice for new developers. Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed to talk about Fallout: New Vegas, though I did learn it will have little connection to Van Buren.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCuxo5YDkc

skateblind 18 May 2010 15:12

Another great interview Matt. :shocked

I wonder how different Fallout:New Vegas will be from Fallout 3. I liked 3, but there was just a bit too much going on sometimes. :guru

TCD 18 May 2010 15:53

Awesome interview start Matt :great Good to know he was/is a DM. You kinda 'feel' it in Planescape :) Looking forward to the next parts.

blade002 18 May 2010 17:28

I have NEVER played Planetscape despite hearing great things about it for many years. Will it run under XP?

TCD 18 May 2010 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by blade002 (Post 670303)
Will it run under XP?

Yep and quite well actually :)

gilgamesh 18 May 2010 23:40

Awesome video! Looking forward to the sequels. Seems like game design has a lot to do with carrot and stick. Ego stroking versus inducing panic. :D

I like how you employed the background music in combination e.g. with still images. Gives a nice effect, but when there is only speech and music, the music sometimes is a bit distracting.

skateblind 19 May 2010 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 670387)
Awesome video! Looking forward to the sequels. Seems like game design has a lot to do with carrot and stick. Ego stroking versus inducing panic. :D

I like how you employed the background music in combination e.g. with still images. Gives a nice effect, but when there is only speech and music, the music sometimes is a bit distracting.

I liked having the music, it stopped Chris Avellone's voice from being unbearably irritating. I'm not sure if it was his voice, the audio quality or a mixture of both.

Falcon Flight 19 May 2010 00:30

8 mins of Chris rambling and 2 boring questions at the end?

i hope you ask him a few of my insightful questions (i wrote in the other thread) in the next interview because that was impotent

here is the link in case you forgot:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52217

btw, why create another thread?

gilgamesh 19 May 2010 09:14

@FF: It's an interview, not an interrogation. And asking for his influences is standard.

gimbal 19 May 2010 09:29

Gimbal likes this!

(no, not a facebook reference; just a pun inspired by the thread title)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skateblind (Post 670231)
I wonder how different Fallout:New Vegas will be from Fallout 3. I liked 3, but there was just a bit too much going on sometimes. :guru

In short: Fallout: New Vegas is going to be Fallout 3 with a big dose of Fallout 2 injected into it. Expect pitch black humor and familiar enemies.

I hope they bring the car back! Now THAT would be a nice addition :) "Hello mister super mutant. *BANG* How do you like being my hood ornament?"

andy 19 May 2010 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 670451)
@FF: It's an interview, not an interrogation. And asking for his influences is standard.

Matt, recently...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wbvx51.jpg

Is it safe?

:D

TCD 19 May 2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon Flight (Post 670399)
i hope you ask him a few of my insightful questions (i wrote in the other thread) in the next interview because that was impotent

Sir, yes sir! I hope Matt gets the message now sir!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe
I'm not sure how many episodes I'll do with Avellone, but the next episode will definitely focus on P:T. He also had some interesting thoughts on turn-based vs. real-time, and some good advice for new developers.

Chill pill Falcon Flight? Yes, yes I think you should take one :agree

Falcon Flight 20 May 2010 12:27

please don't mistake the lost art of an interview with insightful and pertinent questions, with fascist interrogation techniques.

it makes you inflate, frankly, to a more bloated f***tard than i already perceive you to be.

don't be afraid mattbarton.exe. :-)
I'm just pointing out that your first segment was hardly an interview - more of a self-indulgent soliloquy by Chris that is sleep-inducing for those that know RPGs.
and don't be afraid to ask the real questions that ppl want the answers to (my questions are asked often, trust me).
you do fancy yourself as a journalist (of sorts), dont you? ;-)

Graham Humphrey 20 May 2010 15:28

Falcon Flight, in the nicest possible way, please shut up if it isn't possible for you to post without being deliberately argumentative and inflammatory. You seem to be rubbing up a lot of people the wrong way and could probably start an argument in an empty room.

Falcon Flight 20 May 2010 23:16

why are you even posting in this thread?
what do you know about RPGs and more to the point Planescape: Torment?
how about YOU shut YOUR hole, noob?

DH 20 May 2010 23:41

What's up with you Falcon Flight, you're like an angry wasp with nothing to sting... Have you got something to prove by being so rude to others all the time???

Graham Humphrey 20 May 2010 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon Flight (Post 671043)

Er, 'cos I can, I'm a moderator and I have a responsibility to act upon people making complaints about another member?

Hmm, well as I'm feeling nice, I'm going to hand you a month's ban and maybe when you come back you can be a bit more chilled out and relaxed. Say what you like about me but seeing as you're being frankly unpleasant to everybody else I think you're getting off pretty lightly.

blade002 21 May 2010 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon Flight (Post 671043)
what do you know about RPGs and more to the point Planescape: Torment?
how about YOU shut YOUR hole, noob?

I have been playing games since 1980 FF, would you consider me a noob too if i had never played Planetscape: Torment, which i haven't!!!?

Get a grip and just appreciate there is someone like Matt around AT ALL posting SO MANY great video's with people in the industry we always wanted to hear from but never really have until now.

NO he may not cater to everything YOU want but i have no qualms with his video's so as such find them very enjoyable.

gimbal 21 May 2010 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by blade002 (Post 671061)
I have been playing games since 1980 FF, would you consider me a noob too if i had never played Planetscape: Torment, which i haven't!!!?

I'd rather be a 'noob' then IMO, it only means there is something still to be fully explored and enjoyed.

Thank you for being so nice Graham. Nice to the rest of us that is...

cosmicfrog 21 May 2010 15:14

hahaha wondered where Falcon Flight got his ban from

+1 from me for doing a good job Graham

never played Planescape: Torment but judging by the interview he learned a lot early on being DM, a role most ppl don`t like doing