English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Potentially stupid question RE: GAAE "desktop" (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51480)

mancalledSun 10 March 2010 17:42

Potentially stupid question RE: GAAE "desktop"

Have just set up CW-GAAE on 2.1 and ready to start copying over WHDload packs.

I'd like to tweak it a bit and remove/hide some of the elements that I won't use/don't need. (By the way, it's a great little package).

For example:

The Games, Demos and Temp folders on the Workbench desktop. I don't want these here, if I delete them, are they gone forever (I don't want that) or am I safe to move them elsewhere?

What defines the directory location path for the "Desktop"? I suppose I'm really asking, are these items somewhere else already (think Windows!)?

Likewise, if I don't want something in the WBStartup, I gather I should move it elsewhere rather than delete it.

I'll get there in the end, it really has been a while! Working backwards with these ready made packs is tougher than starting from scratch and learning as I go!

fitzsteve 10 March 2010 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mancalledSun (Post 650496)
Have just set up CW-GAAE on 2.1 and ready to start copying over WHDload packs.

I'd like to tweak it a bit and remove/hide some of the elements that I won't use/don't need. (By the way, it's a great little package).

For example:

The Games, Demos and Temp folders on the Workbench desktop. I don't want these here, if I delete them, are they gone forever (I don't want that) or am I safe to move them elsewhere?

What defines the directory location path for the "Desktop"? I suppose I'm really asking, are these items somewhere else already (think Windows!)?

Likewise, if I don't want something in the WBStartup, I gather I should move it elsewhere rather than delete it.

I'll get there in the end, it really has been a while! Working backwards with these ready made packs is tougher than starting from scratch and learning as I go!

Hi Mate,

If you right click on the file and chose 'Icon' and 'put away' they will no longer show up on the desktop and will be in their original places. I think these are all in the sys: partition.

If you want an icon to be on your desktop then go to that icon and choose 'icon' and 'leave out'

Steve.

Bloodwych 10 March 2010 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by mancalledSun (Post 650496)

Under "Settings" (right click menu or bottom left Run menu) you'll find links to enable or disable all the WBStartup items. These options will move the file from WBStartup to Storage/WBStartup in most cases. :)

Fitzsteve mentions how to handle desktop items. There isn't a desktop folder like in windows that holds links; Workbench simply keeps a list of icons to "Leave out" in a text file, stored in the location "DH0:.backdrop"

steve_uktv 10 March 2010 20:20

ermmm

ermmmm please just enlighten an amiga novice please GAAE???

prowler 10 March 2010 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve_uktv (Post 650547)
ermmmm please just enlighten an amiga novice please GAAE???

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/gaae.htm

steve_uktv 10 March 2010 20:27

cool...like it ...is there a version for workbench 3.1 with 4 meg expanded ram ?

prowler 10 March 2010 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve_uktv (Post 650550)
cool...like it ...is there a version for workbench 3.1 with 4 meg expanded ram ?

Yes, of course! :)
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/adv.htm

steve_uktv 10 March 2010 20:32

excellent thanx a million

fitzsteve 10 March 2010 21:33

With only 4mb fast ram you might find the full and advanced versions a little heavy on ram usage the lite version is worth a look.

The advanced version is very pretty though with its excellent icon pack.

Steve.

mancalledSun 11 March 2010 07:49

@Bloodwych/fitzsteve

Thanks - that all makes sense.

The Mig should be back together again soon. Just a couple more Retr0Bright applications on the keys to go (I'll show you the before/after shots soon).

fitzsteve 11 March 2010 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by mancalledSun (Post 650674)
@Bloodwych/fitzsteve

Thanks - that all makes sense.

The Mig should be back together again soon. Just a couple more Retr0Bright applications on the keys to go (I'll show you the before/after shots soon).

Look foward to seeing the comparison, I had a really yellow keyboard I was going to do but it went with an A1200 I sold, sorry ck1200 :blased

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve_uktv (Post 650552)
excellent thanx a million

What i'd suggest to do is to try all the CWB packs, lite, full, adv on WinUAE and then all you need to do is copy the files to your CF/HDD in Winuae to install and its easy to try them all out and see which you like most :D

ADV SP used to be my CWB of choice, but now i'm using the ADV pack and love the speed... :cool

Steve.

mancalledSun 11 March 2010 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzsteve (Post 650709)
Look foward to seeing the comparison, I had a really yellow keyboard I was going to do but it went with an A1200 I sold, sorry ck1200 :blased

What i'd suggest to do is to try all the CWB packs, lite, full, adv on WinUAE and then all you need to do is copy the files to your CF/HDD in Winuae to install and its easy to try them all out and see which you like most :D

ADV SP used to be my CWB of choice, but now i'm using the ADV pack and love the speed... :cool

Steve.

Thanks Steve, but as I'm only running 2.1, is there really any point?!

fitzsteve 11 March 2010 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mancalledSun (Post 650745)
Thanks Steve, but as I'm only running 2.1, is there really any point?!

Oh sorry I mistook you for the guy asking about the CWB packs for his A1200. I'll edit my orginal post to make more sense...

You're right to stick with GAAE :great

My bad, I should read posts properly! :bash