English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Cu amiga compilation dvd (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45100)

JACK98 30 May 2009 16:38

Cu amiga compilation dvd

Sorry if this has been posted already.But a compilation of all the cu amiga mags has been brought together on 2 dvds and is available from zzap website. more info here

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/disp...y=cu-amiga-dvd

prowler 30 May 2009 19:28

Thanks for the information and link, Jack! :great

chiark 01 June 2009 14:09

Awesome :D

To whom should I ask for royalties? ;)

JACK98 01 June 2009 15:14

you should get it while you still can like i did,there was a commodore magazine that was taken off the site due to copyright claim by future publishing...

chiark 01 June 2009 15:44

Well, I have bought one :) . Daft as it sounds, I cannot find the original text for the 3D roundup that I did for CU, however I still do have the lightwave, imagine and r3d2 scenes

@UAE 01 June 2009 20:36

Thanks, Ordered .

MethodGit 01 June 2009 21:17

Anyone want to do a DVD/AMR comparison and see if the disc has any coverdisks that AMR don't? :D

JACK98 01 June 2009 21:18

I'm sure one of us will when we receive it in the post...

Akiko 01 June 2009 22:28

So so tempted!

Please post your reviews here.

prowler 01 June 2009 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiko (Post 554784)
So so tempted!

Don't wait. Go for it! :)

I've ordered one! :great :agree :D

Akiko 01 June 2009 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 554786)
Don't wait. Go for it! :)

I've ordered one! :great :agree :D

Ok what the hell.. Done! :laughing

prowler 01 June 2009 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiko (Post 554799)
Ok what the hell.. Done! :laughing

:great

Doc Mindie 03 June 2009 23:49

Ordered, and recieved.

All the magz are in individual jpg images, instead of (as I kinda had hoped) serachable PDF's.

Aside form that, I've got part of my histroy back... now if only Amiga Fromat and Amiga Computing would come "out" the same way..... :D

JACK98 03 June 2009 23:51

thanks for the mini review.There is apps on the net that can covert jpegs into pdfs if i remember correctly...

Doc Mindie 04 June 2009 08:26

But would the apps be fully searchable and stuff.... ;)

chiark 04 June 2009 12:15

I've not found a decent free jpeg -> PDF with OCR...

JACK98 04 June 2009 14:01

***********MINI REVIEW OF CU AMIGA COMPILATION DVD**********

Today received my cu amiga compilation dvd in the post.The packaging comes in a standard 2 dvd case,the cover stating it is the complete collection.The cover itself seems to be made of glossy paper.

THE DVDS-
Since this is an unofficial compilation,the dvds are common supermarket DVD+R *maybe some people received them as -R'S too*

The contents-
After putting the dvds in.i release due to the sheer size and detail of the scan*the pages are scanned as jpegs btw* would take up a lot of space,so the dvds are split up from 1990-1993 to 1994-1998.The pages on close inspection are easy to read,the mag's cover mounted Floppys are included in the dvds as compressed ADF files.So they are easy to use and transfer but not all cover mount floppys are on dvd.Understandably,due to space reasons they could not include the covermount cds.

Value for money-
Buying all them magazines own their own would probably cost more than the dvd itself.and since some of us are stuck for space.it makes the dvds valuable for reading if you want to reminisce on an issue.

The cover mount floppy's was a nice touch too.

Overall verdict-

At £12.99 which i may add includes the postage price,i consider this a good purchase,it maybe unofficial.But it is now preserved in digital form.a lot of loving care was put into making this dvd.Some people may find it annoying since they are saved as jpeg you cannot scroll with ease like with some magazines that are compiled in pdf.so if you want all cu amiga magazines but do not have the space or little amount of money,this should be your first purchase.

AlanB 04 June 2009 14:52

Adobe Acrobat (full version, not the Reader) can convert batches of numbered JPEGs into searchable PDF's, it can keep the original image and just overlay OCR'ed text information.

It's pricey but works well. If you want, send me a few pages or an issue and I'll convert it so you can see if it works for you.

Alan

mfletcher 04 June 2009 16:55

Ordered here!

prowler 04 June 2009 21:33

Hi All,

I received my CU Amiga 2 DVD set today, so it took only two days to arrive. :)

It was very well packaged and the DVDs are in a nice dual DVD case which holds the disks securely, so they don't drop out in transit. This is very important when sending optical discs through the post. I have had new CDs/DVDs which I have ordered online drop out of their case mountings in transit and the result is a playing surface which looks more like a skating rink!

A compliments slip was included, signed by Stephen, aka Mort.

Disc 1 is a DVD-R and Disc 2 is a DVD+RW ;), but both are in very good condition and perfectly readable in my DVD drive.

The magazine scans are presented as high-resolution JPEGs, each issue in its own directory, so they are very convenient for browsing with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, zooming in when something interesting is found.

Akira will be glad to know that all pages are included, adverts and all!

I think this compilation is well worth the asking price, particularly as postage and packaging is included.

Thanks for a great service, Stephen (Mort)! :great

prowler