English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Flashback - HD Remake (Action Platformer) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67493)

Neil79 22 January 2013 02:59

Flashback - HD Remake (Action Platformer)

https://lh3.ggpht.com/-3OnAQ3vEZT4/U...diteur_001.jpg

http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/0...latformer.html

Yeh baby, Flashback remake :great:bash

s2325 22 January 2013 03:35

Thank you, a lot of work. It's not by someone who just found what Flashback is.

dlfrsilver 22 January 2013 07:25

I saw a running preview when i came to visit T. Levastre 2 weeks ago. He showed it to me running on a PC tablet, i was the second person behind the guillemot brothers (ubi bosses) to see it :) it moves quite well.

I have not talked about it since Thierry requested me to not say anything about it :)

VicViperGradius 22 January 2013 14:52

Nice

funK 22 January 2013 15:29

Wait, who put Nathan Drake in my Flashback?! :(

Shoonay 22 January 2013 16:39

Yes, please! :bowdown

gimbal 22 January 2013 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by funK (Post 863293)
Wait, who put Nathan Drake in my Flashback?! :(

Its not Nathan Drake, its Generic Looking Guy. He's been in hundreds of games, including the original Flashback.

Amiga1992 22 January 2013 17:34

Oh hi, look at my flare... :sad

s2325 22 January 2013 17:53

It's fairy shooting laser.

funK 22 January 2013 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 863303)
Its not Nathan Drake, its Generic Looking Guy. He's been in hundreds of games, including the original Flashback.

True, but at least original Flashback had Style™ in the art department, while this remake looks bland and generic as fuck.

jPV 22 January 2013 18:34

Hope he still moves smoother than Nathan Drake.

Neil79 22 January 2013 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by funK (Post 863317)
True, but at least original Flashback had Style™ in the art department, while this remake looks bland and generic as fuck.

We've only seen one screenshot so far, looks ok to me :spin

spajdr 22 January 2013 20:32

Original Flashback still looks gorgeous even for today, no need for HD version.

StarEye 22 January 2013 22:06

The graphics in the original is a million times better than this generic crap, but let's hope it plays better than it looks. I don't like the red laser sight, and makes me think its going to have 360 degree aiming controls or something, which would fuck up the gameplay completely. Unless they're changing the slow and careful gameplay of the original to fast paced action. In which case, no thanks.

TCD 22 January 2013 22:16

It's interesting how much people can interpret from one screenshot. My 2 cent: I can't see any generic crap, but a nicely designed 2D screen with an insteresting HUD status display. Surely we'll have to see more than one screen to decide how it'll play, but I'd say the presentation looks promising.

Neil79 22 January 2013 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 863355)
It's interesting how much people can interpret from one screenshot. My 2 cent: I can't see any generic crap, but a nicely designed 2D screen with an insteresting HUD status display. Surely we'll have to see more than one screen to decide how it'll play, but I'd say the presentation looks promising.

Exactly as my thoughts

DDNI 22 January 2013 22:55

Interested in this!
I think it looks fresh yet faithful. I would instantly recognise it as Flashback.

Amiga1992 22 January 2013 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 863355)
It's interesting how much people can interpret from one screenshot.

You really can, seriously, at least presentation-wise, it speaks volumes.

The textures are poor and so is a lot of the object design (look at that thing above the main character's head), this isn't 2D, it's 3D or, if you wish, "2.5D" (2 dimensional representation using 3D graphics, either real time or pre-rendered), the HUD is far from interesting and lacks all knowledge of ui/ux design (and uses a horrible old free font like Neuropol) and if I have not said enough design-wise, you can just stare at that run of the mill flare happening wherever that laser is supposed to be hitting. Also, as others have deducted from screens, it seems gameplay elements, like weapon aiming, are hinted to be more "free" therefore changing the way the game plays and probably breaking it.

I would say this screenshot is just a fan-made mock-up and not any actual game screenshot. If the game exists (this is a rumour spread based on dubious "facts), it might not look like this at all when it's running.

prowler 22 January 2013 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 863369)
I would say this screenshot is just a fan-made mock-up and not any actual game screenshot.

That's exactly what I've been thinking since I opened the first link in this thread, but I lack the gaming experience to say it for certain.

Quote:

If the game exists (this is a rumour spread based on dubious "facts), it might not look like this at all when it's running.

I'm hoping it doesn't (look like that when it's running). That's not my idea of exploiting HD to best advantage, and that shot does nothing at all to convince me that this remake is going to be any better than the original version.

TCD 23 January 2013 00:14

Quote:

You really can, seriously, at least presentation-wise, it speaks volumes.

Yep, I can clearly see that a red laser pointer indicates 360° aiming... presentation wise you can't see if it's 2.5D either. It's nothing, mock-up or not, but it gives a hint how it might look. Of course the game doesn't exist yet, but I doubt everybody read the actual 'news' about it. Just don't put too much into it as it is, whether you like it or not.