English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Aros m68k (Kickstart substitute) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56211)

mihcael 08 November 2010 11:51

Aros m68k (Kickstart substitute)

Jason McMullan and Toni Wilen have been working together to complete the AROS kickstart replacement bounties! The details of which are oulined below.

Phase 1:
  1. Bring The m68k compile of AROS back out of unmaintained.
  2. Must initially work from whatever means is possible so long as the build is going again, and the codebase is brought upto date with the changes in the x86 native/hosted flavours. (ie you could use some command in amigaos to bootstrap aros or similar)
  3. Initially binary compatability isnt needed with amigaos (not until atleast you can get the thing working again)
  4. Must compile the main components of AROS (read AROS main cvs branch), and optionaly allow other components to compile.
  5. Proof of bounty.
Phase 2:
  1. Improve on the Phase 1 bounty by changing the AROS compile to generate binary compatable files with AmigaOS.
  2. Change the build system to create an amiga like ROM image which MUST be suitable to flash to a real ROM.
  3. Create a base ROM image using the affore mentioned changes that can be used via UAE or kickstart replacement tools on AmigaOS.
  4. Proof of bounty completed being UAE/AmigaOS booting from the ROM - Launching Wanderer and some test applications - with a screen capture again provided from Michals tool.
Jason appears to be working towards making AROS useful for the NATAMI team. While Toni obviously has Free kickstart ROM for WinUAE in his sights!

They have been busy on the AROS Dev mailing lists (requires registration) if you like to follow there.

Progress updates can also be followed here! Including latest ROM built and some nice screenshots!! :great And also being relayed on Aros-exec.org.

Quote:

Fist game booting using AROS!!

First trackdisk-loader ADF that was able to run on AROS M68K is:

EXILE!

http://www.evillabs.net/wiki/index.ph ... 010:_AROS_.28no_KS.29_ROM

Screenshot and AROS ROM image available. As always, A1200 'stock' configuration.

NOTE: This will *NOT* load any 'standard' DOS loading ADFs, only ones which have
custom non-DOS bootloaders.
Surprised no-one has mentioned this on EAB yet, so here you go!

Zetr0 08 November 2010 13:05

!!!!!EPIC!!!!!!

this thread is relevent to my interests!

Cosmos 08 November 2010 13:51

Very very very very hard task on true Classics...

athiga 08 November 2010 14:16

what needs to be changed in rom for aros to run on amiga maybe its just not me that carnt picture this

custom track disk loader still use rom rutines ?

Jope 08 November 2010 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by athiga (Post 713672)
what needs to be changed in rom for aros to run on amiga maybe its just not me that carnt picture this

We'll find out as this project progresses.

Quote:

custom track disk loader still use rom rutines ?
The definition of custom is that it doesn't use the stock ROM routines.

gibs 08 November 2010 14:57

Kick Ass Kickstart !!!

terminills 09 November 2010 00:01

Toni has been assigned phase II of the kickstart replacement bounty. =]

http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/6

kriz 09 November 2010 04:04

Good work !!! This is cool and will get alot of use allover !!

Minuous 09 November 2010 10:22

This seems rather pointless. If it's not exactly 100% the same byte-for-byte then by definition it is not 100% compatible.

mihcael 09 November 2010 11:33

If its 99% compatible and 100% free then i can see a point in it!

Toni Wilen wouldn't be involved if something worthwhile wasnt to follow.

killergorilla 09 November 2010 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minuous (Post 713843)
This seems rather pointless. If it's not exactly 100% the same byte-for-byte then by definition it is not 100% compatible.

WinUAE is not 100% compatible but I wouldn't call that pointless.

deicidal 09 November 2010 12:30

Quote:

Commodores own kickstarts wheren't exactly 100% compatable either with other versions.

Zetr0 09 November 2010 14:41

Quote:

Sometimes you amaze me Minous - you want everyone to be freed of the strangle-hold in trading Amiga Kickroms - yet when this development project is announced you get hung up on the 100% compatability.

Nothing ever works 100% "out of the box" thats why there are patches and a upgrades - this damn obvious for the computer user of today!

There are many unknowns that will have to be delt with when they happen - then with the premis of basis that you have you can deal with it.

This is a great "giant" of a stepping stone that will need as much of the communities support as possible - not throw-away comments you stated earlier.

Anakirob 09 November 2010 19:50

Quote:

I don't think that's true, not unless some code which bashes the HW calls a kickstart routine by using its address on the ROM rather than using that routines label. Which would mean that said code would not run on any model of Amiga other than that which the coder used anyway.

As long as it has all the routines on the KS, and as long as they all function the same, then it should be 100% compatible.

And then there's the possibility that the new routines may actually be better than those on the current 3.1 roms, which is exiting also.

Zetr0 09 November 2010 20:03

I look forward to the development of FreeKick 1MB or even 2MB roms for the A600/1200 and Kickcards upto 2MB would be fantastic for Zorro based machines!!!

jotd 09 November 2010 22:10

what would bring those new roms (technically speaking, of course, I'm not talking about putting Cloanto out of business :)) ?

I'm sticking to my A1200/060 so I'm expecting a lot from those roms (I already use the ones from this Piru guy and that's already very cool but roms with updates & source code, oh yeah!!).
I suspect there will be a great deal of C code in the new roms => don"t expect extra speed!!

antonvaltaz 09 November 2010 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 714066)
what would bring those new roms (technically speaking, of course, I'm not talking about putting Cloanto out of business :))

Much as unsubstantiated Cloanto bashing is one of the favoured sports here at EAB, I should ask: if you imagine that Cloanto are hostile to this project, why did they make a donation to Phase I of the project?

But please, don't allow me to put facts in the way of prejudices...

gilgamesh 09 November 2010 22:36

This is great news. Sometime soon people who have never seen an Amiga before can download an UAE and play games and demos without having to pay for it. This will boost the public interest and community. It will change the whole dynamic.

Kudos to Jason and Toni.

TCD 09 November 2010 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonvaltaz (Post 714071)
But please, don't allow me to put facts in the way of prejudices...

jotd just asked for technical reasons and surely you won't deny that this might have an impact on Amiga Forever sales if there is a free alternative?

Merlin 09 November 2010 22:46

If PC's can have modified BIOSes without the Universe falling apart, then why shouldn't the Amiga have a new Kickrom?