English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Problems with John Girvin's WHD patches (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1138)

MethodGit 20 August 2001 08:52

Problems with John Girvin's WHD patches

You know about the various WHD installs that John Girvin has released, right? Well, I know about the bit where it says you need Installer 43.3 to utilise them properly, but even that doesn't get me anywhere. I just get the following error message everytime (displayed in the picture below).

Anyone care to offer great help for this problematic dude right here?

Removed screenshot

Amigaboy 20 August 2001 09:20

Sounds like somewhere in his script, he's accidently screwed up. Look through it for anything suspicious

If it looks fine, go to Aminet and download the latest Installer (I think it's called Installer-43_3.lha)

Riempie 20 August 2001 13:06

Newinstaller problem?

AIAB uses a different installer, called newinstaller I believe. This gave me some problems too when running some scripts. I just downloaded the installer from Aminet which AmigaBoy mentiones and the scripts worked without problems.

Riempie 20 August 2001 13:07

NGinstaller

I think it's NGinstaller instead of Newinstaller

Amigaboy 20 August 2001 13:30

Yep. Years back, someone created something called InstallerNG. Back when it first got released, it was buggy as hell so I never used it. I have no idea what it's like now.

Last I heard, this is going to be the installer package used in the new Amiga OS (unless I'm getting my facts crossed....very likely since I can't really remember)

MethodGit 20 August 2001 16:18

But that's the problem. Even the Installer from Aminet that you mention of doesn't work! Why does Girvin have to do his patches differently to everyone else's? Jeff, Bored Seal, Codetapper, Psygore, Wepl... these people have made simple installers, that are compatible with ALL kinds of Installer programs. The thing is though, this problem only occurs when I use the latest versions of his WHD installs - the older versions I still had worked like a charm. Either his computer's giving off different results to my one (whether he has a PC or an Amiga), or this is deliberate or a major very silly "accident" (one install having a bad script is bad enough, but ALL of them?!)

CodyJarrett 20 August 2001 17:28

Installs

I agree. It's annoying to have John's install different from everyone else.

You should be able to install the game manually without the install script. What is the game?

MethodGit 20 August 2001 20:25

Well, the screenshot is of me trying to install Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker to the hard disk. I have the cracked version of the game.

I'm also wondering whether John's Scooby & Scrappy Doo install will work with the cracked version of the game. Any suggestions?

andreas 20 August 2001 23:49

Could actually be PURE INTENTION.
Some patchers/HD fixers _do not_ want to support cracked versions at all (eg Keith Krellwitz (?)). You'll have to live with that.

Twistin'Ghost 21 August 2001 04:02

Or buy the originals like many of us have been doing.

girv 21 August 2001 12:05

MarzAttakz: that message is just a screwup in the script, I didnt realise it was in JWWS as well. A while ago I reworked the base installer script I use and that error crept into a lot of installs that came out around then. If people emailed me, maybe I'd be aware there was a problem with a particular install?

The patch isnt likely to work with a crack anyway but the error youre seeing is not related to that.

all: whats annoying you all so much about the installs anyway? How would they be different in your perfect world?

CodyJarrett 17 September 2001 11:00

WHD Installs

Girv: the version numbers of your WHD installs are different from the standard for a start. Things like: v0801.1 instead of v1.0, v1.1

Also, the files in the installers don't follow the standard of icons, .slave, readme. They consist of lots of confusing files e.g. the slave is not obviously the slave, because it isn't called .slave

I mean, it's not really a big problem and I'm not complaining!

girv 17 September 2001 11:23

My thinking on versions and files goes like this:

versions: in "0801.1" style higher number always
means a later release, but "1.1" and "1.10" are very
different ;)

files: slaves are all called "Slave1", imager slaves
are called "ISlave", readmes are "Instructions".
Icons are all "thing.inf" ... is that confusing?
What would y'all prefer?

CodyJarrett 17 September 2001 11:58

Format

I like the format by Bored Seal/Codetapper/C-Fou etc.

Install
Install.info
NavySeals.inf
NavySeals.newicon
NavySeals.readme
NavySeals.readme.info
NavySeals.slave

It's neat, standard and I can tell what each file does immediately.

For version numbers, it would be easier for you to change than for everyone else to change to your method!

Anyway, I like your installs very much. It's good to see another person from NI!

girv 17 September 2001 12:20

OK how about:
Install
Install.info
Instructions
Instructions.info
NavySeals.coloricon
NavySeals.oldicon
NavySeals.newicon
NavySeals.slave
NavySeals

It's neat, you can tell what each file does immediately
and its not so different from what I use now.

For version numbers, how about R1,R2,R3,R4... ?

Where in NI are you from anyway? Im up round
Lisburn these days, but used to be in Belfast.

CodyJarrett 17 September 2001 13:11

That's good. My DOpus is set up to recognise .slave files from the filename and run Codetapper's WHDInfo.

For the versions, why not just use v1.0 for the first release and then v1.1 and so on? You can still record the v0809.1 stuff in the text file by noting the date. I think I saw on your website that you used v1.0 versions for installs.

I'm from Co. Down, but I left about 6 years ago and went to Portsmouth, Maidenhead and now Paris.