English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   HOL contributions (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Box scan contributions delay (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82276)

softwarefailure 05 April 2016 11:38

Box scan contributions delay

Hi,

at the end of January I uploaded 20 box scans (front and back covers) of boxes not featured on HOL to the FTP server but so far AFAICS not a single scan has been added to the HOL. I also haven't been given any credit points for the scans.

I was planning to upload many more scans from my collection including some really rare and exotic editions of Amiga games but the fact that not a single scan has made it into HOL and that I haven't even been given any credit yet is somewhat demotivating.

So before I tackle this time-consuming task of comparing my large collection of Amiga games with what is present in HOL and what is not I'd first like to ask for a status update here on how long this is going to take to get the scans into HOL and especially when credit points are given?

Thanks!

A. Falkenhahn

CodyJarrett 05 April 2016 13:39

Apologies for the delay. I'm working through the backlog and I'll upload your scans this evening.

Please keep scanning and I'll add further contributions as soon as I can.

Phantomz 05 April 2016 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodyJarrett (Post 1082132)
Apologies for the delay. I'm working through the backlog and I'll upload your scans this evening.

Please keep scanning and I'll add further contributions as soon as I can.

Is the " Knightmare Manual & Hint Book & Map Sheet " I sent nearly a year ago in that backlog ?

CodyJarrett 05 April 2016 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantomz (Post 1082158)
Is the " Knightmare Manual & Hint Book & Map Sheet " I sent nearly a year ago in that backlog ?

Yes, sorry! I'll work on your contributions next.

softwarefailure 06 April 2016 10:15

Thanks for adding the scans. I'll have more pretty soon.

By the way: There is a little mistake with the Chuck Rock box scans I sent. You added them as "German release" but in fact the scans are from the U.S. release of Chuck Rock.

CodyJarrett 06 April 2016 11:18

Thanks, I've fixed the Chuck Rock text.

softwarefailure 06 April 2016 17:25

Thanks. By the way, it should probably also be noted that both Heimdall and Chuck Rock were apparently published in the U.S. by Virgin Games (see box scans). Currently, HOL doesn't contain this information and just says "Core - Worldwide."

Phantomz 06 April 2016 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodyJarrett (Post 1082204)
Yes, sorry! I'll work on your contributions next.

Cool, No Problem. :great

I just wanted to make sure you still had them. :)

softwarefailure 08 April 2016 12:28

Ok, here is the next batch.

Airbus A320 USA
Bart vs the Space Mutants
Der Produzent
Gobliins (German)
Hare Raising Havoc (US)
Heimdall (German)
Hugo (German, 1996)
Nightbreed (Alternate Box)
Oldtimer (CD)
Rick Dangerous (US)
Spellfire the Sorcerer (German)
Star Trek 25th Anniversary (German)
Star Trek 25th Anniversary (US)
Stunt Track Racer (US)
Tower of Souls
Tricky Quiky Games
World Cup 90

Two notes:

1) Oldtimer CD isn't listed at all in HOL currently. It was published in 1996 by Max Design. The CD contains both the AGA and the ECS versions. Peeking inside the executables returns the following version information: "$VER: - Oldtimer - CD-ROM 16.10.96 - © MAX DESIGN 1994. AMIGA-Version von Oberdorfer Andreas und Dissauer Christopher"

2) Hugo is currently listed as a 1992 game. I don't know when the original release was published but I do know that the German release (8 disks) was much, much later. The German version was released just in time for the Computer 96 show which was held in November 1996 in Cologne. The manual and the disks of the German version of Hugo all have "1996" on them as well. I included a disk scan as evidence.

More to come...

ajk 08 April 2016 12:43

1992 sounds correct for the original release of Hugo. I have a 4-disk Finnish release and it was certainly earlier than 1996. I think they released it several times over the years combined with the second game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_(video_game)

CodyJarrett 13 April 2016 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by softwarefailure (Post 1082623)
1) Oldtimer CD isn't listed at all in HOL currently. It was published in 1996 by Max Design. The CD contains both the AGA and the ECS versions. Peeking inside the executables returns the following version information: "$VER: - Oldtimer - CD-ROM 16.10.96 - © MAX DESIGN 1994. AMIGA-Version von Oberdorfer Andreas und Dissauer Christopher"

2) Hugo is currently listed as a 1992 game. I don't know when the original release was published but I do know that the German release (8 disks) was much, much later. The German version was released just in time for the Computer 96 show which was held in November 1996 in Cologne. The manual and the disks of the German version of Hugo all have "1996" on them as well. I included a disk scan as evidence.

More to come...

Thanks, this batch is now uploaded.

Oldtimer CD did have an entry as a compilation (http://hol.abime.net/2285). I've replaced the older box scans and updated the date.

I need to sort out all the Hugo entries as it's a bit of a mess at the moment.

softwarefailure 23 April 2016 15:05

Thanks, here is the next batch:

Bill's Tomato Game (box signed by Bill Pullan)
Castle Master (UK)
Colonization (German)
Crystal Kingdom Dizzy
DuckTales (German)
Fatman (AGA, German)
Flamingo Tours
Indianapolis 500 (Budget, German)
Lemmings (CD32, alternate box)
Lollypop
Micro Machines (alternate disk)
Morph (ECS)
Nobby the Aardvark(*)
Populous (Budget, German)
Simon the Sorcerer (AGA, German)
Trolls (ECS)
Worms (CD32)
Zool 2 (new postcard)

(*): I've scanned the C64 box of Nobby the Aardvark because 3 of the 4 screenshots on the back side look like they have been taken from the Amiga version that was still a WIP when the C64 version was released. So it's very likely that they would have used the C64 box for the Amiga version as well. So maybe you want to add these two to the "Miscshot" section...

Also, I think that there is a mistake in the Simon the Sorcerer AGA box shots: The German box pictured there looks like the ECS version box. I've uploaded box and disk scans from the German Simon the Sorcerer AGA version for you to compare.

Finally, someone should fix the captcha that pops up after 100 site accesses. I'm constantly getting banned because of too many site accesses but of course I've to synchronize my collection with what is already on HOL. It's impossible to override the captcha. I always have to reset the router to get a new IP address to continue browsing through HOL...

More to come!

DamienD 02 May 2016 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by softwarefailure (Post 1085383)
Finally, someone should fix the captcha that pops up after 100 site accesses. I'm constantly getting banned because of too many site accesses but of course I've to synchronize my collection with what is already on HOL. It's impossible to override the captcha. I always have to reset the router to get a new IP address to continue browsing through HOL...

Yeah I've noticed that also; it sure is impossible to override the captcha :sad

This definitely used to work... We should probably PM RCK to see if he can fix it :agree

A trick you can use for now instead of resetting your router is to use a web proxy service e.g. https://sitenable.com/ but loading is a little slower...

CodyJarrett 07 May 2016 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by softwarefailure (Post 1085383)
Thanks, here is the next batch:

Thanks, this batch is now online.

softwarefailure 11 May 2016 18:29

Thanks, so here is the next batch:

B17 Flying Fortress (Powerplus Edition)
Campaign (German)
Campaign II (German)
Cyberpunks
Lemmings 2 (German)
Naughty Ones (German ECS)
Oscar (AGA)
Pinball Prelude (boxed CD32 version)
Sensible Golf (multilingual box)
Shadow of the Beast III (Limited Edition German)
Super Street Fighter II (ECS)
Thalion The First Year
The Big 6 (CD32)
The Lost Vikings (German)
Thomas the Tank Engine Pinball (CD32)
XP8 (AGA)
Yo Joe (German)

As always, there's more to come :)

softwarefailure 01 July 2016 17:25

*bump*

I've a lot of more scans but at this speed it's going to take years. Is it really so much work to upload those scans?

CodyJarrett 03 July 2016 10:20

Thanks, the latest batch is online.

I promise to upload the next batch faster!

DamienD 03 July 2016 14:49

Schnell, schnell Adrian... ;)

DrBong 03 July 2016 22:35

@DamienD
Oi! Watch it sunshine, otherwise RCK will "recruit" you into the HOL team and put you to work in a cage with TCD and his smelly banjo-playing sock puppet Pepe!!! :D

Welcome back BTW, if you are back from a well-deserved lolling about in the sunny Dominican Republic :)

DamienD 03 July 2016 22:53

Thank you my friend; yup I flew in this morning.

Sad to leave paradise and also have to face work tomorrow :crying