English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Member Introductions (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   The fire that never extinguishes (hello) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56609)

jman 01 December 2010 21:41

The fire that never extinguishes (hello)

Hello eveyone,

I've sort of already introduced myself me in the asm code tutorial subforum, but here I am again.
I've used an A600 during the last good years of Commodore and since then from time to time I've installed an emulator, this means that somehow that hardware platform hit me, right? (example: never installed an MSDOS 2.0 emulator ^_^).

This time is not for playing with old games, but to learn MC68000 + custom chips ASM programming, if my spare time allows.
So far so good, it is an extremely interesting journey and I've already found prompt and valuable tech support around here, from people way more qualified for my total beginner's questions; if I check on who is answering my questions I sort of feel embarassed, like asking an F1 driver tips on how to release the clutch of a car :)

Anyway, enough with my babbling, let me go back to DevPac.

Nice to meet you all, hope to stick around for a while.

Antonio

TCD 01 December 2010 21:44

Hola Antonio and welcome to EAB!

Enjoy your stay :great

pmc 01 December 2010 21:49

Ciao Antonio :)

You'll enjoy it here - it's cool.

All the best with your asm coding. :great

Allen1 02 December 2010 12:57

Hi there Antonio,

its good to see people who are interested in learning things no matter what they are. There are as you mention, a lot of folk who know a lot about coding on this forum who would have been just like yourself and know how awkward things can be when trying new things out. I wouldn't be embarrassed about asking the right people for advice, they are more than likely to remember the problems they also faced when starting out and be glad to help people who need it.

Good luck with your programming, it is something that I wouldn't have the patience for these days (getting to be an impatient old fart) :) I used to like solving problems and fixing things a while back but was never any good at creating or using programming software.

All the best M8 :great

pubzombie 02 December 2010 20:25

Hellloooooo and welcome

jman 02 December 2010 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen1 (Post 719680)
I used to like solving problems and fixing things a while back but was never any good at creating or using programming software.

Heheheh me neither. I already develop software for a living, I have to face a schedule everyday, I don't want to get involved in projects also in my free time.
Learning assembly coding for me is entertainment, a puzzle to solve, a way of spending my time on something absolutely useless (for me at least ^_^) thus extremely fascinating.

Ciao,
antonio

Allen1 03 December 2010 02:26

Blimey, that sounds great but doing it for a living where schedules are involved is a bit scary. The nearest I have come to programming is altering code on the old Spectrum computers to get passed the copy protection and save the game code, most of the instructions and assembler etc were provided. Actually writing your own code is way past me in any language :laughing

Good luck with the hobby side and finding the best solutions to the problems that come along. One of these days I will go back to the ELV Eprom programmer software that I have and complete the transformation from German to English language, the ASCII part was easy in hexedit but some of the menu routines come back with German options as in Ja for Yes, in other words press J when I would automatically press Y for yes, the No option is the same character (N) so that is a blessing.

Anyway that's something for me to play with at a later date :)