English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Shapeshifter (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=21512)

dkovacs 09 January 2006 14:22

Shapeshifter

Hi;

Whenever I run prepemul before starting shapeshifter, my amiga's power light flashes and it won't reboot unless I power down. Are there any arguements I need to include when calling prepemu.l? I'm running an A1200 with a DKB Cobra '030 card and 8MB fast ram.

Also, if I remember correctly, Apple had older versions of their MacOS available for download - does anyone know if it's still available and where it can be downloaded from if it is?

Dan

mr_a500 09 January 2006 15:12

Did you read the ShapeShifter guide? It says if you have an A1200 you must use the option "PrepareEmul A1200".

You can still get 7.5.3 from here:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...Version_7.5.3/

The 7.5.5 update used to be there somewhere, but I don't see it now.

dkovacs 09 January 2006 18:52

Great, thanks. Now, is there a way to get these images written to disk? I only have a double density drive.

mr_a500 09 January 2006 19:36

I was assuming your A1200 was connected to the internet, but I guess not. Copying to DD disk will be tedius. Is that how you normally get stuff on your A1200? You should try serial transfer with AmigaExplorer or other programs on Aminet.

If you still want to transfer by disk, you can chop the images so they'll fit on disk, then join them on the A1200. I use "split" and "join" (on Aminet).

dkovacs 09 January 2006 19:55

No, not on the internet with that computer - I'm trying to coerce a friend to lend me his PCMCIA NIC but he always thinks I'm just joking around. I burn to CD and then copy over that way.

dkovacs 09 January 2006 19:56

One other thing - what do I write those disk images to when I get them over to the amiga?

mr_a500 09 January 2006 21:20

You need to already have a ShapeShifter bootfile containing 7.0 and Stuffit. Then use Stuffit to extract the images and run the 7.5 install. That's how I did it. It has been a while so I don't remember the details clearly.

Have you already got a bootfile? I had a link once to a 2Mb 7.0 bootfile for ShapeShifter, but I think the site died years ago. I'll search my old dead HD for it if you need it.

mr_a500 09 January 2006 21:40

Ah, now I remember (I think). The bootfile is a small floppy version of the OS for installing. In ShapeShifter, you put the bootfile as filedisk1 and in filedisk2 you click create to create a filedisk (where you are going to install 7.5). When you start ShapeShifter, you will see the filedisk you created on the Mac desktop. You must format it. Extract the 7.5 images (using Stuffit) to the filedisk you created, then run the 7.5 install.

I found the bootfile and can send it if you need it.

dkovacs 10 January 2006 15:54

Hi;

I found a set of hardfiles (the one's that where on CU Amiga's cover CD 26 I think) they work great! Now, can anyone reccomend a particular display driver that works best with a 68030/FPU/MMU and 8MB fast ram? The emulator works great in monochrome, but the display update is SLOW in anything beyond 4 colors/greys. Are there any display drivers that work reasonably well in 16/256 colors?

ant512 10 January 2006 20:44

Not unless you've got an 060 or a graphics card, I'm afraid. The Mac uses a chunky display, whilst the Amiga uses a planar display in anything other than monochrome. If you increase the number of colours, the Amiga has to do chunky-to-planar conversion, which is CPU intensive at the best of times. It also has to run the rest of the Mac and your Workbench at the same time.

Ain't going to happen.

commie1974 23 January 2006 01:44

@dkovacs:
Well, if you really like Shapeshifter, you MUST try Fusion! This one is way easier to use and has slightly better performance! Try to find some abandoned MacOS 8.1 installation CD from some friend or buy it second-hand for peanuts, and use this instead of crappy 7.x! I would also recommend to devote a whole partition of 200-300Mb on your HD for use with this emulator! Soon you will realize that it was definately worth it!
I use Fusion 3.2 with MacOS 8.1 and 1.5Gb partition on my A1200/1240@40 and it rocks ;) Remember that you WILL need at least 16Mb of fast ram (I use 32) to have a good performance and to be able to run *serious* software!
You will have non-amiga advantages like:
Netscape 4.08
MS Internet Explorer (not much of an advantage)
Quicktime (in a reasonable performance)
Hotline & Carracho
MS Office
Adobe Photoshop etc.
Quark Express...
...and many more, and all these in an approximately real Mac 68k speed!
Enjoy!!!

mr_a500 24 January 2006 19:33

Does Fusion work on ECS Amigas? Where can I find it?

Shapeshifter runs great on my Amiga, but if Fusion is faster, I'd definitely like to try it.

Mad-Matt 25 January 2006 01:25

back when i used shapeshifter alot , The best AGA driver used for shapeshifter was TurboEVD. The fastest for RTG cards is CardTrickEVD. I didnt find fusion faster, just more compatable with stuff that wouldnt run under shapeshifter.